Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get British products in the USA?  (Read 23854 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Where can I get British products in the USA?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 11:38:59 PM »
I use Goodwoods but also need to plug Pond Hoppers.  Great service, nice people and sometimes have different items from Goodwoods.

http://www.pondhoppers.net/
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
I live in Seattle, and there are Cost Plus World Market's here and I am not sure where else they are located , and they have a lot of British products including alcohol. Also, someone already mentioned Amazon...and they sell treacle( golden syrup) and many other british foods.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
Treacle isn't golden syrup.   ;)

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 09:01:54 AM »
You are right, and I am not an expert, but I have been told you use golden syrup to make things like treacle tart. So, no argument here, but I am just going by what I have read and been told. I know that real treacle is molasses like.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »
That Wegman's photostream made me a bit homesick.

Some places off the top of my head are:
In Philadelphia there are British/Irish products available at Thriftway supermarkets and Superfresh. There is an Irish convenience store- Empire Food on South Street that has a lot of British products as well.

There is a British store in on Penn Ave in West Reading, PA that also has some goods.

In NYC there is Tea & Sympathy in the "Little Britain" (West Village) in Manhattan that has a lot of British goods. They are right next to A Salt & Battery, a traditional fish & chip shop.
LLR Oct 2009, ILR Nov 2011, Citizen June 2013
DH's Greencard May 2013- back in the USA Aug 2013!

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 03:08:05 PM »
If we are talking about PA this place is one of the best UKimport stores for food that I have found.

Ok, so it is mainly Irish, but still...Refreshers and meat pies.

http://donegalsquare.com/mysitecaddy/site3/index.htm

They have a lot more in the shop than online. 

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 06:04:34 PM »
Treacle isn't golden syrup.

You are right, and I am not an expert, but I have been told you use golden syrup to make things like treacle tart. So, no argument here, but I am just going by what I have read and been told. I know that real treacle is molasses like.

Now this piqued my interest, because I wondered - hmmm, it's true that golden syrup is used for treacle tart, and why the heck is it called treacle tart if there's no treacle in it.

Of course, Nigel Slater (aka the Kitchen God) has sorted it all out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jan/16/nigel-slater-classic-treacle-tart

Treacle tart appears to be something of a misnomer until you realise that the word treacle refers to all forms of syrups made during sugar refining, from golden syrup through to black molasses.

And Wiki agrees with this as well.  So you learn something new every day.  Golden syrup is sold in the grocery stores as golden syrup, not treacle.  And what is sold as treacle in the grocery stores is the dark or black treacle.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 01:13:43 AM »
Yep, Mrs. Robinson, that is what I read as well. I know Amazon has golden syrup because I was looking to possibly making some tracle tarts etc. So I looked up the recipes and they said to use golden syrup.

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »
I find that the cheapest places are not places like Cost Plus or BevMo or even British-themed places.  I've noticed that the regular little corner shops in Indian and Pakistani neighborhoods often have British brands at very little markup from UK prices (after exchange).  Chalk one up for imperialism!
NOTE  I am merely an educated layman.  My comments are not to be taken as professional advice.  I speak only for myself, and not my employer or any other organization.  Side-effects include headache, upset stomach, and the realization that advice found on the Internet should be taken with a grain of salt.

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 06:05:37 PM »
My Wife has just found something out interesting.  Boots N7 face cream is $19.99 at Target here in the US and it is £20.99 at Boots, so it is actually a lot cheaper in the US.
Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator

• Liked: 12
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 06:11:08 PM »
My Wife has just found something out interesting.  Boots N7 face cream is $19.99 at Target here in the US and it is £20.99 at Boots, so it is actually a lot cheaper in the US.

I just looked for the Boots products yesterday in Target (in MA) but couldn't find  them. I know I've seen them before.  ???
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »

Yeah it is - I just bought a Boots No7 foundation from Target in the US for $11... the same foundation in UK Boots stores is £15  :o!!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:07 PM »
For anyone in the Harrisburg, PA area there is this shop in New Cumberland: http://www.oxfordhall.com/mysitecaddy/site3/

They have British and Irish food. We go there to get DH's tea (Barry's) and he picked up some black pudding. They also sell rashers, but they're pretty pricey so we haven't taken the plunge on that just yet. They seem to have a lot of the same stuff you can find at Wegmans, with the addition of some Irish foods (like Club Orange soda, YES!!!). Oh, and they have lots of sweets and chocolates!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 06:23:59 AM »
In LA outside of the Fresh&Easy and World Markets, here are just a few destination shops:

Friar Tuck, next to the Robin Hood in Sherman Oaks on Burbank Blvd.
The Piccadilly, next to Buchannan Arms in Burbank on Burbank Blvd.
The Continental on Wilshire in Santa Monica.
Oh Fancy That on Ventura in Tarzana.
Ye Olde King's Head has a shop next door.

Sadly, the Tudor House in SM is closed down.

I've also found goods at:
-Monsieur Marcel market in the Farmer's Market, 3rd/Fairfax. This is not the cheap option.
-Samosa House on Washington/Berryman in Culver City (w of the 405). This Indian market and veg/vegan food counter (amazing!) has the cheapest Heinz BB I've found in LA. $1.49 a can. And they have twiglets for DH.
-BevMo have the best price on Pimms.

I had the biggest shock when in a Ralph's in Marina del Rey (the one at Lincoln/Maxella)  today and saw a British foods section in the Asian aisle. Not just some PG Tips and HP sauce, at least 10 different brands. I know their parent company Kroger stocks stuff elsewhere, I've just never seen it until today.  :D

Oh, and before I forget, the skincare line Simple has hit US shores. Spotted at both CVS and Ralph's.

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 02:23:45 PM »
Yeah it is - I just bought a Boots No7 foundation from Target in the US for $11... the same foundation in UK Boots stores is £15  :o!!

This is the thing I don't understand.  Wouldn't you expect products to be less expensive in their country of origin?  One of the first things I noted when visiting Northern Ireland was that same bottle of Bushmills Irish Whiskey was much less expensive at home in the States. About a whole $10 cheaper per bottle!  Shocking!  :o

Sponsored Links