Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get British products in the USA?  (Read 23864 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: Where can I get British products in the USA?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
This is the thing I don't understand.  Wouldn't you expect products to be less expensive in their country of origin?  One of the first things I noted when visiting Northern Ireland was that same bottle of Bushmills Irish Whiskey was much less expensive at home in the States. About a whole $10 cheaper per bottle!  Shocking!  :o

Dennis posted an informative reply in another thread a few weeks ago about why products are more expensive in the UK - there are a number of different factors involved.

See here: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=78622.msg1064656#msg1064656

• Liked: 1
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2013, 07:01:12 AM »
When DH was staying in the States with me, we tended to shop at The Pond Hopper in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The owner was super friendly. It was quite a drive, but we always made a day trip of it. I think he also has a website. 2629 N Federal Hwy, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306

Orlando, FL has The British Shoppe. You can purchase online or in store. 809 N. Mills Avenue Orlando, FL 32803

We were recently back in the States and the Publix in Naples, FL actually has a British food section. The only thing they didn't seem to carry was golden syrup.

One unlikely place we found some British food was a small Greek shop called The Daily Bread. It is located south of Miami in an area known as Pinecrest. 12131 South Dixie Highway Miami, FL 33156

Oh yeah, and TJMaxx had tons of Walkers shortbread.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »

We were recently back in the States and the Publix in Naples, FL actually has a British food section. The only thing they didn't seem to carry was golden syrup.

We noticed that when we were on holiday in Clearwater, FL last year and went to the Publix. I found it quite amusing, somestrange choices I though such as OXO cubes (you can buy stock cubes there) and not sure I'd want to pay the prices they were asking for squash or Gold Blend instant coffee.
But guess it would be different if I actually lived out there!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 03:32:17 PM »
We noticed that when we were on holiday in Clearwater, FL last year and went to the Publix. I found it quite amusing, somestrange choices I though such as OXO cubes (you can buy stock cubes there) and not sure I'd want to pay the prices they were asking for squash or Gold Blend instant coffee.
But guess it would be different if I actually lived out there!

No, I used OXO cubes in the UK/Ireland and I'm not searching high and low for them here! Stock cubes are stock cubes!  ;D  Oh, and I schleped a box of Walkers Shortbread all the way back for my grandfather once only to find them in every single grocery store in America.  ::)
Instant coffee, however, is not as nice here and I would pay extra for some from the UK. My inlaws brought me about 5 lbs of Kenco when they came to visit, so I don't ever need to buy that ever again!

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
No, I used OXO cubes in the UK/Ireland and I'm not searching high and low for them here! Stock cubes are stock cubes!  ;D  Oh, and I schleped a box of Walkers Shortbread all the way back for my grandfather once only to find them in every single grocery store in America.  ::)
Instant coffee, however, is not as nice here and I would pay extra for some from the UK. My inlaws brought me about 5 lbs of Kenco when they came to visit, so I don't ever need to buy that ever again!

Basically that was my point - why buy Oxo at the inflated price, it's just a stock cube...but I can see it on instant coffee...we used to take Kenco for my father-in-law as he just used instant and what he could get in the US was awful!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »
Just wanted to tack on that a couple of British places have opened up in the Philadelphia area in the last couple of years

In Haddonfield, NJ, there is the British Chip Shop and it has a small souvenir store across the street with tacky goods (I love them!!) and British foods and treats.  They are ridiculously overpriced, but if you're desperate for it - you'll do it!  I found the caramel digestives I fell in love with in London - $6 for a pack, though!  I decided I can wait three weeks until I move to London to get them for GBP 1 :)  But there was a large assortment of sauces, mixes, frozen foods, potpies, candies, etc.  Worth noting though - the fish and chips in the restaurant were phenomenal.  Better than some I had in London!

There is also the Victoria Free House in Old City Philadelphia - the pub counterpart to the restaurant mentioned above.  Also a tasty place and authentic.
KAY

London resident-to-be!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »
I had a great site recommended to me that sells a good range of Candy from England.
newcomer link: https://britishcandyco.com [nonactive]

Sponsored Links