Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Locking a dog in a car?!?  (Read 2400 times)

Locking a dog in a car?!?
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »
WTF??? Is locking a dog in a car legal here? There's a car parked outside (yeah under a tree and it's a partly cloudy day) but there's a Border Collie locked inside and only 1 window is down about 2 inches....and the car alarm keeps going off. This really irritates me...not the alarm I hear these all day (hazards of living next to a car park)...but it this considered acceptable?

This is really making my blood boil...so many animals die because of this!!

• Liked: 0
Re: Locking a dog in a car?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
Someone locked their dog in a car all day here when they were on a training course.  We didn't realise it until about 3pm when the dog started barking non-stop. 

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »
Can you call the RSPCA and report it? They'll be able to tell you if it's legal or not. That way, if it's not then they can go ahead and do something about it. Some pet owners are idiots!

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:26:13 PM »
Can you call the RSPCA and report it? They'll be able to tell you if it's legal or not. That way, if it's not then they can go ahead and do something about it. Some pet owners are idiots!

I only realized there was a dog in the car after I went to go see which of the vehicles had its alarm going off for about 45 minutes. Shortly after my initial post (just over an hour since the alarm had started) the owner showed up and two OAP ladies just started in on them for leaving the dog. Not only that when they pulled away I saw that the dog was tethered all the way in the back of the car (it was an estate hatchback), they got the registration number and went across the way to the local police surgery. But one of them did yell up to me (on the 6th floor balcony) if I knew how long the car had been there and I told them over an hour.

We'll see if anything develops from it. A lot of interesting things go on in that carpark, last month I saw a man hit a woman when they were sitting the car and you could hear him shouting all the way up here with their windows rolled up. I wanted to call the police and report it (I still have the reg number memorized!) but DH said that I shouldn't meddle in other peoples business.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »
Glad to hear it's been reported. I think there are certain things that shouldn't be ignored, including physical violence to humans and pets!

• British by descent
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:14:16 PM »
That's crazy...I bring my dog with me if I'm running short (< 20min) errands, but not if it's above 70 or so.  I don't know why you can't just leave your dog at home if you know he can't be with you the entire day (especially if his other choice is to be stuck in your car!).
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• UF College of Vet Med Class of 2010!!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »
I don't think it is strictly illegal in Florida, but you can (and should!!) be prosecuted for felony count animal cruelty if your animal is locked in a car and the situation is deemed to be cruel.

I personally think its foolish to leave your dog locked in the car for any length of time, considering the risk. You can see heatstroke at even 60 degrees farenheit (which is sweater weather for me, frankly). Naturally in Florida heat stroke is ridiculously common (dogs locked in cars, or left outdoors for prolonged periods of time - even with shade and water!!) and it is such a devastating (and preventable!) disease. It just drives me nuts.

One of my professors has been known to break car windows to get dogs out when he sees them in parking lots. 
"Treat for the treatable" - Uncle Mikey's Maxim # 1

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
One of my professors has been known to break car windows to get dogs out when he sees them in parking lots. 

Awesome.

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »
The RSPCA will break into a car if the animal looks like it is suffering.  I was flipping TV channels and saw them patrolling a car park one summer's day doing this to countless dogs.  So sad :(.

So yeah - report it immediately, especially if the dog is distressed.  They will come and rescue it.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
If it's not illegal, I think it should be.

My MIL was watching one of those animal rescue programs, and a black lab had actually died in the car.  The police had to break into the car to get the dog out.  NO window was left open for the dog either.  It's so sad.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
If it's not illegal, I think it should be.

My MIL was watching one of those animal rescue programs, and a black lab had actually died in the car.  The police had to break into the car to get the dog out.  NO window was left open for the dog either.  It's so sad.

Well surely that is illegal?! That kind of neglect makes me so angry! Stupid thoughtless selfish behaviour.
I hate anything like that, the image of that little kitten Dave who's been shot by some thug with a bow and arrow makes me well up every time I see it - it's sick! Absolutely sick, how could anyone even THINK of that?!

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 06:50:58 PM »
Everytime the temp goes up I wonder how many children and animals are going to die due to utter stupidity.  Every summer it happens -- no matter how many warnings or notices are on tv, newspapers etc., 
*spousal visa FLR(M) issued June 8, 2010*

• Liked: 36
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 07:16:23 PM »
Hi

I agree, makes me very angry when I see animals treated like this, although thankfully it's not been often at all.

On another forum I visit which is USA based, I remember one guy posting on how his cat had been shot at by an air pistol, and the poor cat had crawled home. He'd taken it to the vet where said cat had made a full recovery, then 2 months later the same happened again, another full recovery. All the posters were horrified of course and we all suggested things that cannot be repeated on this 'U' rated UKY site! ;)

People who are caught doing this to animals - should be put in the same situation, put in a hot car with no water or ventilation and in the case above, shot at with an air pistol....

Some people are idiots

DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 08:28:07 AM »
This is sickening: http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/homenews/Police-dogs-die-car-heatwave/article-1128150-detail/article.html

The next time I see a dog locked in a car I'm calling the RSPCA and the police.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 12:25:07 PM »
I know and the worst part is that the dogs were donated to the police.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab