Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just Venting about HR Department  (Read 994 times)

• Liked: 0
Just Venting about HR Department
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:59:41 AM »
We are moving on Tier 2 Visa and are supposed to be in Sheffield in 25 days.   2 1/2 months ago we accepted position and have had everything ready to apply for visa.  We just got the contract today.  2 1/2 months later.  It took them 2 1/2 months to write the contract.  It appears not to be the department that my husband will be working for bu HR that is only open for calls between 9:30 - 11:00 am which has made for many middle of the night calls from Chicago.

We now will go tomorrow and submit for visa.  We have had to do biometrics and bank statements now twice because they had expired waiting for the contract that was supposed "mailed" June 25th.

When it arrived today it was mailed July 7th and it did not contain all the paperwork it was supposed to.

Are all HR department this inept.  I mean if a place want to hire you and you are moving your whole family across an ocean - why can they not be open to taking phone calls, returning emails or at least being truthfully of what they are doing and when they will do it.

ARGH.  Thanks for listening.  Every time I complain, my husband gets upset that I am complaining about his new job that he is excited about.  I am excited about the job and relocating I just don't understand why the University HR is making it so hard.
Moved from Chicago to Sheffield Aug. 2009

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Just Venting about HR Department
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:08:07 AM »
In my experience, HR departments can be a complete pain, especially when it comes to the visa process.  They have their usual way of dealing with things, and they don't like to deviate, even if it makes your life hell!

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:18:38 AM »
University HR? That explains everything!  ::) Good luck, hope they can get things sorted out for you.
12/08/09 - Citizenship submitted via NCS
17/08/09 - Payment taken from account
18/09/09 - Citizenship approved, invitation to ceremony, dated 12/09/09
03/11/09 - Citizenship ceremony

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:35:57 AM »
At my last job they sent me my first contract in the post and the signature page had the name of another person they were hiring on it. Oh, and they spelled my first name wrong. You gotta love HR!

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:15 PM »
I feel your pain- I've had some frustrating experiences with HR departments here too.  You are not alone.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:31:13 AM »
Thanks, I know there are unhelpful people everywhere but when you are relying on someone else it get frustrating and I just had enough.

I hope everyone has a good end to the week.
Moved from Chicago to Sheffield Aug. 2009

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
University HRs are, IME, appalling.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »
University HRs are, IME, appalling.

I'll second that.
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:43:58 PM »
I'll second that.

I'll third it. 

One of my biggest pet peeves is when my name is spelled wrong on an employment contract or letter from an employer.  I always feel like they can't think too highly of me if they can't be bothered to check that they've got my name right. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

Sponsored Links