Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Working With/Without National Insurance Number  (Read 21285 times)

• Liked: 0
Working With/Without National Insurance Number
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »
 ??? ??? ???

I married a Hungarian (EU) woman living in the Leeds. I now reside here. I am working at my first job. I have yet to be paid, but they are now asking for a national insurance number after two and a half weeks as we will be paid at the end of July.

Being that I don't have one, I called the employer's payroll office. They directed me to call Job Centre Plus. They directed me somewhere else, but I don't remember who it was. I now have a reference number with the group that can and should issue me a national insurance number. I just have to call them as soon as I get home so they can take down the information on my EEA Family Permit that I entered the country with this time around.

A few questions:
1. Is this necessary?
2. Is this a good idea, or bad?
3. Any suggestions?

I have been told that a delay in pay can take months to correct. I most certainly don't need that.

Thanks.

PS - I am presently employed by a library at the University of Leeds.

??? ??? ???

Re: Working With/Without National Insurance Number
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »
This may seem like a silly question(s), but my wife (EU/Hungarian) says she didn't have one for quite some time after moving here. Then again, she's EU and I'm American, unless you count me solely as her husband.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 03:53:08 PM »
you need a National Insurance number so you can pay the correct amount of tax.  You can work without one, but that's meant to be temporary while you apply for one ASAP.  It's not really an optional thing.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:54:13 AM »
I think you wind up paying more tax without a number than you otherwise would.  It's not really a big deal to get one, so you definitely should, and legally have to (I think).

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »
Yes, I think you pay an emergency tax rate until you get your NI number sorted. Then you, at some point, get some of that extra tax back that you paid when you didn't have an NI number. I remember work providing me all the forms. I didn't have to do any calls or interviews.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »
Yes, I think you pay an emergency tax rate until you get your NI number sorted. Then you, at some point, get some of that extra tax back that you paid when you didn't have an NI number.

I've had a NIN since I was 16 (UK citizen), but after I graduated uni, I was on emergency tax for almost a year because I didn't have a P45 from my previous job (I had sent it to HMRC to claim back my tax for working in the vacation period between terms). I didn't realise I was paying too much tax until a colleague pointed out that I was on the wrong tax code, so I contacted the tax office and got a cheque for £1,500, plus credited tax on my payslips for the next 8 months!

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »
I finally got some more information. I'll spell it out if anyone else needs this information.

You can call 08456000643 to get a case number started. They will take your information down over the phone and then give you a reference number. In my case at least, they mailed out a form to send back in....all this without an interview.

I also learned that you can use a temporary number (TN010175) TN + birthday, although these are unofficial and just to use while the application process is being completed.

My only remaining question is that the letter with the application states I don't need an interview if I can work in the U.K and have a visa. I can work and have an EEA Family Permit. Does this count as a visa? This has always confused me.

Thanks for the help.

;D

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
I did not need an interview with an EEA Family Permit.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
Can I ask where the information came from on the temporary number, as I had thought these were phased out a few years ago.

Vicky

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »
It came from the person who answered my call when I called Job Centre Plus. It is not official, but it can be used while waiting on the proper one.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab