Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Missing Everyone!  (Read 1639 times)

• Sell crazy somewhere else, we're stocked up here
  • Liked: 0
Missing Everyone!
« on: July 12, 2004, 12:08:36 PM »
I've only been living in England for 2 months but I really miss everyone, espesially my dog because I know she misses me and I know that she doesn't know where I am or why I've left her. I have been to England 4 times in the past, Twice I came for 6 months and it was never this hard then because I always knew after my 6 months was up I'd be going back to America. But now that I'm living here for good... although I've only been away 2 months so far... it just seems so much harder because I know I'm not going back at the end of 6 months. A couple people from back home are going to come to my wedding but only a couple because the rest of my family and friends can't afford it. How do you all cope with being away from America and all your friends and family?? I just can't imagine being away from America for a year or more, but thats how long it's going to take before my fiance and I get to fly across to visit. And I am really missing the weather back home!! It's been so cold here in northern England lately, plus all this rain. I miss the days... weeks of sunshine that I get back in Arizona. Not only the weather do I miss, but the food!  :-\\\\

• All stressed out and no-one to choke!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Missing Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 01:21:04 PM »
I think that alot of us have been there. I'm very lucky in that I do go back stateside every 6 months. When I first moved to the UK over 5 years ago I was homesick too. Well, I still am sometimes but it does get easier. I have found with time that if you dwell on the bad you'll just end up in a great big hole so try to make it a point to find the good things and have a good long think about them. I focused on the bad but now there are so many things that I love that make my world brighter. I find that when I do visit the states I miss sooo many things here.

Do you plan on bringing your dog to the UK cause this would be something to focus on. If not, I would suggest getting another one. I know that your baby can't be replaced but a dog is a wonderful theraputic thing. My dog has saved my sanity so many days.

Just stay in touch with family and friends back home as much as you can. And try to stay busy. I've recently started a journal and have found this to be helpful as well. Just letting it all hang out has helped me a great deal. Good luck to you and remember that you always have supporters on sites like this. And remember it does get better!

Tracy ;D
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
--Jimi Hendrix (1942-1970)

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 07:42:29 PM »
Tracy is so right - it does get better but so many of us have been there! Not to scare you, but it took me a good 6 months or maybe a bit more to start really feeling like this was "home." A big part of it for me was relying too much on my b/f to be everything to me - driving me around, keeping me company, etc. It took a toll on both of us and things really turned around when I started making friends of my own and feeling confident enough to go exploring on my own (these sorts of websites helped tremendously!!!)

Things that made the biggest difference for me:
1. Getting outside at every opportunity. The weather made me feel slightly claustrophobic so I started going outside - to the mailbox, the grocery store, a walk around the block, pulling weeds in the driveway, anything - litterally whenever there was a break in the weather.

2. Not giving up on making good friends. I found people from a similar website to this in my area and met up for drinks. Several of them became great friends.

3. Getting a new pet. I also had to leave one behind - she was too old and it was too expensive - so I just made sure she had a good home and as harsh as it sounds, I just had to force myself to stop thinking/talking about her because it just made me way too sad. No kitty will ever replace her, but just making plans to get a new one (also one that's both mine AND my boyfriend's) has gotten me really excited.

4. I set up a website and got a digital camera to keep in touch with friends at home - just a little simple blog and a photo page means a lot to people who are used to seeing you and it makes me feel like I'm keeping them entertained.  ;D

5. Exploring. It took me a while to get confident about just jumping on a bus or getting on a train, but it's fun!  ;D

I do know how hard it is, though. I've been home twice this year, but it is weird to come back here without really knowing when you'll be back. But for what it's worth, on this last trip to California I was really excited after 2 weeks to be coming back here and I really and truly felt like I was going home when I did. Hang in there!

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 03:12:02 PM »
Do you work yet? I think when you do, it will help enormously. My hubby got work quite quickly, but even so it took him a year to settle, and that's with 3 trips a year Stateside. Is it possible for you to go for a visit home on your own if you cannot afford two airfares? I made a deal with my hubby when I asked him to emigrate to the UK that we would get him home 3 times a year however tough that might be, and even if it meant I could not come with him every time.

I also second what everyone says about your dog. Either focus on getting her over via the Pet Passport scheme, or maybe adopt another needy dog (or cat, or rabbit. Rats make great pets if you have limited space see www.ratkittens.co.uk or www.ratrehome.co.uk).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab