Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do all Brits not rinse there dishes?  (Read 8752 times)

Re: Do all Brits not rinse there dishes?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »
Some threads deserve to be sticky - why no mixer taps? why not rinse dishes?

My dh doesn't rinse and absolutely won't budge on it. I don't care anymore - if it gets me out of having to wash the dishes I'll put up with a bit of dry soap!  :P

I'm sure I had a bowl in my sink in the US, but it seems so normal now that maybe I'm just remembering wrong.... I'd struggle to soak and wash without it now I think!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »
This discussion comes up quite frequently on here.  It's pretty funny.  i've encountered both rinsers and non rinsers in the UK.  I don't care that much if they actually clean the dishes in scalding hot water and dry with a clean cloth.  Well I do care, but it's not my place to say anything.  When they come to my house they know we rinse.  My SIL knows it grosses me out so she always rinses when she's with me.  My husband is a converted rinser as well.  

I did have to replace our kitchen tap immediately though...I just hated having two taps and so low down.  (Then again we moved into an older home here in the US and I had to do the same as it was a mixer tap but it was low so you couldn't rinse or fill a pot properly.)

I'm a lover of mixer taps too; the flat I'm in now just happened to have them newly fitted before I moved in, having previously had the original separate taps more common in the UK until recently. The woman who manages the building and is in charge of leasing, happens to be an expat American, and when she originally showed me the place and I enthused over the mixer taps, she laughed and said she personally insisted on those when they recently refurbished the place.

I've noticed, though, that more and more UK flats and houses are changing out the separate taps for mixers; this is just me but, what a relief......
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

Re: Do all Brits not rinse their dishes?
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 04:30:49 PM »
What on earth were you doing to get that?  The old scalding water method?  Ouch!  We got one of those steamers as we did not have a dishwasher.  
It was a chemical sterilzer where you add cold water and put in the tablet. I was having an allergic reaction to it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:10:27 PM by WebyJ »

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 04:33:58 PM »
I suspect the topic might arise so frequently because the idea of not rinsing is so completely bizarre to the American mind.  To me, it's like leaving the soap on your hands when you wash them ???

My DH and in-laws don't rinse either, and it does bother me.  Part of the trouble is the way the sinks are laid out.  When I wash dishes here, I take a damp scrubby sponge and put a few drops of washing-up liquid on it then squeeze it until it's foamy.  I use that for washing the dishes, then rinse them under the running tap.  That seems to work pretty well.  When my FIL does the dishes, I do occasionally rinse them surreptitiously when his back is turned, particularly the ones that I use most often  ;D
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
oh please, not the annual mixer taps debate!!  ;D This is where I stop reading this thread!

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »
Oh come on Liz!!  It's fun and we had to do it!!!

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 04:37:57 PM »
It was a chemical sterilzer where you add cold water and put in the tablet. I was having an allergic reaction to it.

I avoided those.... glad I did now as I likely would have had the same reaction!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »
I avoided those.... glad I did now as I likely would have had the same reaction!

It also doubled as a steamer that you put in the microwave...but it was too big for ours so unfortunately, I didn't have much of a choice especially when having a baby on a budget...oh well. If there is a next time I know better. Of course if there is a next time, we'll be back in the states by then and back in my old house where there is a dishwasher, so it'll be a non-issue really.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:10:51 PM by WebyJ »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »
I did the sterilising solution thing and didn't have any problems, thank goodness. It's the only time I've used a plastic bowl to clean anything too, as I didn't want to shellout for an expensive sterliser thingy.

(hmmm, wonder if we keep on about sterilising for a while maybe people will forget about the mixer taps!)

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
Haha this is pulling me in. As a student i have shared flat with girls and i have also noticed this. I make sure everything is squeeky clean as much as possible. Its the thought that i'll be using dishes with some soap bubbles on it that scares me. ;D honest. I dont know if any 'washing up liquid stuff' would do damage to me if it went into my system or not but just dont want any soap on the dishes.

So the first time i saw my flatmate doing the dishes i noticed she dunked it in water and was done. So i pointed this to her...and commented chekily that you dint clean properly...and God all hell broke loose. ;D ;D ;D (i was the only boy in the flat the rest were girls) They chased me around my flat with broom sticks, and pouring a bucket full of soapy water onto me. ;D ;D ;D Finally when we settled down after an evening of mayhem....they accepted to clean it properly. ;D..Just typical flatmates i suppose but can be good laugh when this happens.....Girls always want to square up with you...they would point to my sprinkling habits...no please dont attack me now, lol that was then not now. hahaha

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 05:00:02 PM »
I did the sterilising solution thing and didn't have any problems, thank goodness. It's the only time I've used a plastic bowl to clean anything too, as I didn't want to shellout for an expensive steriliser thingy.

(hmmm, wonder if we keep on about sterilising for a while maybe people will forget about the mixer taps!)

I think we spent £10 on the sterilizer, plus it came with 4 free bottles so I think it was worth it...

Agreed, the mixer tap has been done to death...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:11:09 PM by WebyJ »

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »

Never!  ;D

Never shall the mixer taps be forgotten!  :P
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »

You said the M word!  :P
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »
I've never understood the no rinsing thing either.  My husband is another one that tends to not rinse the soap off the dishes (unless I happen to also be in the kitchen!).  We had a steam sterilizer for DS's bottles, and DH would wash the bottles, not rinse them, and chuck them directly into the sterilizer.  That stopped the first time it filled up with bubbles lol.
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Jenny's Adventures In England
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 05:26:02 PM »
My husband does not rinse either. And so of course, his children do not either. So many new rules came into effect when I moved here, that I felt it too much to get into this. HOWEVER, I have added it to my list of changes for when we move to the States in a few years.

I assume that part of this is because double sinks are not as common? I've been in quite a few homes now, and no one has more than the one sink. We use a basin as well. I asked why, and DH said it was because if you filled the sink, you'd waste water because it's wider than the basin, so takes more water to get the depth he wants. I conceded on that issue. And actually, I've stopped rinsing most dishes. I have a cup/mug that only I use. That gets rinsed. But the rest, I can't be bothered with, as it's just too hard to rinse without getting water everywhere, or making the dish washing water too cold, as it is impossible to run anything but scalding hot water out of our kitchen tap.

Thank being said, when we move to the US, EVERYONE will be rinsing!

Sponsored Links