Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do all Brits not rinse there dishes?  (Read 8667 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Do all Brits not rinse there dishes?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
We are definitely a rinsing household- I honestly wouldn't be able to tolerate otherwise. Thankfully, DH has always rinsed so there was never any conflict about it. We also don't use a tub in the sink for dishes, just running water.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2009, 10:12:20 AM »
My fantasy kitchen includes a dishwasher, a garbage disposal and deep, large double sink.

We rinse.  I use Marigolds when I do dishes, too, to protect my hands.

I had to train DH to rinse, though, he is from a non-rinsing family.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »
My fantasy kitchen includes a dishwasher, a garbage disposal and deep, large double sink.

We rinse.  I use Marigolds when I do dishes, too, to protect my hands.

I had to train DH to rinse, though, he is from a non-rinsing family.

My fantasy kitchen includes a maid & a butler so I don't have to worry about dishes!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2009, 10:47:15 AM »

My dh doesn't rinse and absolutely won't budge on it. I don't care anymore - if it gets me out of having to wash the dishes I'll put up with a bit of dry soap!  :P

Ha ha - I think that is DW's attitude with me.

We have recently had a new kitchen fitted though with a high mixer tap and it's a 1.5 sink (the small sink at side of larger one ) so that makes rinsing easy. I only do it with the plates and dishes though if there's a lot of suds on. We do use a bowl.
It's about compromise I guess....when she first came over for a visit I was washing up and she just looked at me and then said "are you going to rinse those" and my look back was one of puzzlement! I did it that time to placate her but she doesn't like to wash up and she just leaves me to it now.
Although we take in turns, who ever cooks the meal then the other does the dishes.

Mind you - what annoys me.....the amount of leftovers in the fridge! A small container of this, another of something else....not enough for a meal for 2 and then after a week I'm having to throw it away because she complains that we don't have a big enough fridge!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
My fantasy kitchen includes a maid & a butler so I don't have to worry about dishes!

Our fantasy kitchens are SO close - I've have the same, but with a cook too!  ;)
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• From Texas to Yorkshire
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »
We've always rinsed - and never used a washing bowl.  DH's mom has always used one, but he think it's pointless & strange so was very happy not to use one when we moved in together.  When his brother house-sat for us, he actually went to the trouble of finding an old plastic bowl in our cupboard to use as his washing-up bowl for a week!!  How strange...
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 11:56:51 AM »
Our fantasy kitchens are SO close - I've have the same, but with a cook too!  ;)

I'll raise you a patissier! and  a choclatier!

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
Oh, yum, I'm coming to your house...errr, I mean, fantasy kitchen!   :D
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »

Nice that we all have such similar taste. Mine would also be a nice shade of a conservation colour - maybe that pale, sagey green - so that I'd enjoy it when I'm getting a cup of coffee (I'd only use the butler for meals).

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2009, 09:43:59 PM »
This topic has made me wet myself laughing. I am so glad I am not alone. I noticed this with my BF and totally thought..."why isn't he rinsing properly?" But now I know its not really his fault and I feel better for going behind his back and rinsing after him  ;)

"One does not have to be rough to be strong; one can be gentle and persistent and still achieve results"

• Liked: 3
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
My husband is a non-rinser and it drives me nuts, so I have to step away and not criticize as I should be happy he wants to help at all.  :P  If I ask him to rinse, he usually just dunks it back in the soapy water and puts it in the rack.  ::) But, he also dries his dishes with a towel, while I'll happily let my rinsed dishes dry in the rack. The next place we live will DEFINITELY have a dishwasher!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2009, 12:53:42 PM »
Speaking of washing up liquid adverts, does anyone else remember the American ads where the housewife becomes a social outcast because when she uses the "other" brand, it doesn't rinse off well enough, and her dishes are left with spots on them.  :o

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »
Speaking of washing up liquid adverts, does anyone else remember the American ads where the housewife becomes a social outcast because when she uses the "other" brand, it doesn't rinse off well enough, and her dishes are left with spots on them.  :o

No, but I remember the one where one of the guests goes fishing in her garbage bin to find a box from a ready-made cake she just served so she could shame the hostess with it. ;D

Husband is more into rinsing than I am, and I am a pretty enthusiastic rinser myself. His family doesn't rinse though, and even though I am usually completely oblivious to others' housekeeping habits, I guess that one thing was unusual enough to catch my attention.

ETA: I see someone's already mentioned mixer taps. So, how about 'em pinto beans?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:44:45 PM by Mort »
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 4
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »

ETA: I see someone's already mentioned mixer taps. So, how about 'em pinto beans?

Um, I think you must mean refried beans.  :P

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
Nice that we all have such similar taste. Mine would also be a nice shade of a conservation colour - maybe that pale, sagey green -

Oh, Anne! You are going to LOVE my new kitchen!! Think Farrow & Ball 'Breakfast Room Green'!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links