Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do all Brits not rinse there dishes?  (Read 8668 times)

Re: Do all Brits not rinse there dishes?
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2009, 08:58:30 AM »
Oh, Anne! You are going to LOVE my new kitchen!! Think Farrow & Ball 'Breakfast Room Green'!

I absolutely cannot wait!!!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »
Sorry, but I had to laugh when I read the original post! ;D I think a lot of people have had this same question when moving over here. I still can't help with the dishes at MIL's house because she thinks I have no idea what I am doing or I'm just doing it totally wrong, in her eyes.
I agree with the dishwasher - it completely solves the whole issue. Otherwise, unless you want to do the dishes yourself every time, I would just let her do them her way. Although, I did get DH used to the scrubby brush with the liquid in the handle, so we could use that to scrub the dishes and then rinse them off under the tap. He thought it was weird at first, but he got used to it. So you might be able to try that. Otherwise, just let it go, my friend! As you said, a bit of dried soap isn't going to hurt anyone! I've never noticed a soapy taste on the dishes, either, which I thought I would.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2009, 01:57:01 PM »
One of my friends here in Leeds, after having a laugh with me over people getting anxious about not rinsing dishes, showed me this article yesterday - which really ought to make everyone's hair stand on end!  >:D  ;D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/aug/06/peeing-in-shower-rules

[smiley=laugh4.gif]

(you know who you are!  ;))
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »
Ewwwww, that's so gross! 

I HATE when people don't rinse their dishes.  I mean, it doesn't take that long, so why not do it?!  ::)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »
I don't get why you [that general "people=you" you..] wouldn't rinse anyway?? I mean, don't you rinse everything else? What about laundry? Do people just leave soap on their clothes? I don't think so! In the shower? No.... So why would you not rinse soap off dishes? Being back in the States with my dishwasher makes me even more thankful I have control over the cleanliness and hygiene of my dishes again!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2009, 02:11:15 PM »
Otherwise, just let it go, my friend!

This.  :-*

• Liked: 4
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »
I don't get why you [that general "people=you" you..] wouldn't rinse anyway?? I mean, don't you rinse everything else? What about laundry? Do people just leave soap on their clothes? I don't think so! In the shower? No.... So why would you not rinse soap off dishes? Being back in the States with my dishwasher makes me even more thankful I have control over the cleanliness and hygiene of my dishes again!

Yes!  I totally agree.

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2009, 03:37:46 PM »
The article I posted was intended to be amusing (written as such in any case), as opposed to the perhaps inadvertent entertainment provided by people getting wound up over the right way to wash dishes.  :-*

Great thread!  8)

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2009, 09:42:49 PM »
Having been served soapy drinks before and having had that weird iridescent film on the top of my coffee and tea that only comes from soap drying on the dishes, I have to say I am annoyed when someone doesn't rinse the dishes. :P Like others have said, you rinse soap off of everything else including your body and your clothes, so why wouldn't you rinse it off of dishes as well?

• Jewlz

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2009, 11:15:46 AM »
The article I posted was intended to be amusing (written as such in any case), as opposed to the perhaps inadvertent entertainment provided by people getting wound up over the right way to wash dishes.  :-*

Great thread!  8)

I found the article you posted to be highly amusing, and um, I agree with all points made in there.  :)

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
Cheers chica!  Me too!  But what the heck are you doing wasting a moment of your birthday on here?!!!!  :o ;D

Get out there and enjoy your day, hinny!  [smiley=party3.gif]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:38:35 PM by Mrs Robinson »

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2009, 03:50:20 PM »
One of my friends here in Leeds, after having a laugh with me over people getting anxious about not rinsing dishes, showed me this article yesterday - which really ought to make everyone's hair stand on end!  >:D  ;D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/aug/06/peeing-in-shower-rules

[smiley=laugh4.gif]

(you know who you are!  ;))

I know, as though we need rules about it!  ::)
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 0
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2009, 05:55:27 PM »
HaHa!  I thought my Scottish husband and his family were the only weirdos that didn't rinse their dishes!  Could not believe my eyes the first time I noticed this and made no haste in correcting him.  He also insisted on using a plastic dish pan, which was easier for me to adjust to than the no rinsing habit. 

• Jewlz

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2009, 10:10:44 AM »
Cheers chica!  Me too!  But what the heck are you doing wasting a moment of your birthday on here?!!!!  :o ;D

Get out there and enjoy your day, hinny!  [smiley=party3.gif]

Hehe.... I wasted a lot of my birthday napping, too, since I had nothing better to do! But I made up for it that night... and suffered all the next day!  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
I hate that they don't rinse here as well. I always rinse my dishes. My husbands friends and family never rinse and it makes me sick. Plus i watch  my mother in law wash her dishes in a nasty, soapy, bucket with out rinsing, half the time she doesn't even actually wash the silverware unless there is actually food on it. I have also notice she uses the same old sponge for way too long, weeks! I never use a sponge more than once without sterilizing it. When I am at her house i try not to drink or eat anything. It drives me crazy. I am very aware of germs and bacteria and keep a very clean house. I disinfect everything often. I always bleach my sink and the little plastic dish bowel thing my husband thinks you need to wash dishes. I wont even let my husband clean a single dish because he wont rinse it. Plus , I always put a teaspoon of bleach in my dish water when washing dishes to kill germs and bacteria (yes, it is safe). And the funny part is they think that will kill you...ha!
I am not obsessed, but ever since working in the medical field I am very aware. I just like things to be clean.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab