Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do all Brits not rinse there dishes?  (Read 8757 times)

• Liked: 3
Re: Do all Brits not rinse there dishes?
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »

I am not obsessed

And yet you try not to eat or drink anything when you go there! Have they become ill? I guess not!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
I rinse dishes but I would rather swallow a bit of washing up liquid than bleach.

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2009, 11:04:38 AM »
When I am at her house i try not to drink or eat anything. It drives me crazy.

In the interest of family harmony you may want to see what happens if you do eat there - what will you do at Christmas, etc.?? I can guarantee, hand on heart, that a bit of washing up liquid won't kill you - I'm living proof that you can eat at in-laws houses who don't rinse without ending up ill. It would just be a shame if you ended up being the odd girl who never accepts an offer of a cup of tea or anything - they'll start to notice it eventually!!!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2009, 11:17:42 AM »
In the interest of family harmony you may want to see what happens if you do eat there - what will you do at Christmas, etc.?? I can guarantee, hand on heart, that a bit of washing up liquid won't kill you - I'm living proof that you can eat at in-laws houses who don't rinse without ending up ill. It would just be a shame if you ended up being the odd girl who never accepts an offer of a cup of tea or anything - they'll start to notice it eventually!!!

I was thinking the same thing. At some point, it's going to go from being just one of your quirks, to be being perceived as rudeness. Isn't it better to swallow a bit of washing up liquid? Take one for the team!  ;)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »
Just saying the same as the two post above mine. I even have two small children and so far a bit of bubbles hasn't hurt them.  ;D 

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »

I am not obsessed

I'm not convinced.   :-\\\\

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2009, 02:21:59 PM »
In the interest of family harmony you may want to see what happens if you do eat there - what will you do at Christmas, etc.??

I'd get drunk myself.  The alcohol will kill all the nasties off.   ;D

« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
In response to all of the above comments:

I have eaten at my in laws a few times, I just don't like to because i can see the film on the dishes. But in order to not be rude I do eat when i must off there dishes, but I do try to avoid it when I can.

Also the bleach I put in my dish water gets rinsed off and doesn't hurt you yet only kills germs and bacteria. This method is not that uncommon and even advertised by clorox to put a teaspoon of bleach in your dish water. Also your tap water has chemicals in it like chlorine  among other things. Some places use  recycled/Reclaimed water  as tap water such as California and was once even in toilets and sewage drains. In the UK most of the water comes from reservoirs, lakes and rivers. But remember after the water is sent to the sewage treatment plant it is put back into the ocean and rivers , then evaporation makes a cloud and then it rains and it is put back in the surface water over and over.

Sorry, I went on there but the point i was making is a little bleach in the dish water doesn't harm you but yet helps kill bacteria and is then rinsed off and you need not to be afraid of it because there are already chemicals in your tap water.

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »
Also I forgot to add:

I am not afraid of eating a bit of soap, I just dont like it. I have eaten lots of soap in my life time. Everytime I mouthed off or cussed when I was young my mother used to put a bar of soap in my mouth.

My in laws don't do a good job of actually cleaning the dishes though, that is my main problem.

« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »
This method is not that uncommon and even advertised by clorox to put a teaspoon of bleach in your dish water.

Of course Clorox advise it... they're selling the stuff!
You say it's not uncommon, but you are most definitely the first (and only!) person I have ever heard of doing this.
Not saying it's wrong... just that I've never known anyone to do this.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2009, 03:22:50 PM »
It's common enough in restaurants, but I've never met anyone who does it regularly at home.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »
In the cafe at my old work we used those sort of blue tablet things that turned the water blue and disinfected it.

Personally, I'd prefer not to drink out of soapy glasses, but would not want to be seen as rude so I'd accept a cup of tea, etc--a little soap can't hurt in the interest of being sociable and kind.

I personally wouldn't use bleach.  As an slightly unrelated comment, my old dental hygienist recommended that I put bleach in my Waterpik water.  I opted for grapefruit seed extract (naturally anti-bacterial and anti-viral) which is a bit less harsh, I think.  I've also run some of it through the washing machine to get rid of a slight mold problem.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2009, 03:35:17 PM »
Of course Clorox advise it... they're selling the stuff!

Hehehee... I thought the same thing!

I don't use bleach to wash dishes, and wouldn't. First of all, I have some china that I really like. Bleach it jsut too caustic and will discolour it over time, as well as spoiling the finish. But more than that, bleach doesn't clean, it only disinfects. If there's dirt somewhere, the bleach will make it white so you probably don't notice it ... but it's still there. You're better off using washing up liquid and some good old fashioned elbow grease!  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2009, 07:34:59 PM »
Growing up we always used bleach when someone in the house was ill.  We never used a lot of bleach, just a splash in the dishwater.  We didn't use it in the rinse water.  Although, when I did dishes in high school, we used a disinfectant in the rinse water that smelled a lot like bleach.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab