Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does it get easier...better?  (Read 1502 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
Does it get easier...better?
« on: July 13, 2004, 01:24:18 AM »
My boyfriend and i have been together for 2 and a half years.  We met while I was doing a study abroad, then I went back for another study abroad and then a BUNAC visa.  I dont qualify for any kind of visa other than visitors and I am too broke to live there and not work.  We thought about applying for unmarried partners, but we fell short of the time requirment and were worried so we didn't try.  Things just feel so hopeless, I have been home now for 5 months and things are just not getting any better.  I just miss him so much, I don't know what to hope for or what to try to do to get back to him.  I know he loves me, but this is just so hard.  I guess I am just venting, it's been a rough week being so far away. 

jackie

• Schenectady to Newcastle to Toronto
  • Liked: 0
Re: Does it get easier...better?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 12:04:37 PM »
Hi Jackie,

Sorry things seem so hopeless right now. I know how you feel, I've been there!  If you guys are meant to be, you'll make it happen.  I wish I had better advice to give you.  Hang in there!  You'll figure it out!

Sarah

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 12:12:23 PM »
I feel like I sound like a broken record, but have you thought about doing graduate work on a student visa? You can qualify for an American Stafford Loan for a good chunk of it (18,500 USD is the top for grad. study abroad) and then supplement with a loan from TERI (the education resources institute.) Then you can live here on a student visa for the length of the course and work 20 hrs. a week. That's what I ended up doing and I was in the exact same situation!  :) You end up with a lot of debt, but you get a degree AND can live with your honey!

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 01:47:02 PM »
Thanks for replying, I have thought about school again, but right now I am $54,000 into debt from 4 years of room and board at a State school and the prospect of adding another $20,000 is too daunting.  I've been looking in to it, only hope is a scholarship.  I am trying so hard to think positivley!

jackie

Sponsored Links