Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: £ key on an American keyboard  (Read 1950 times)

£ key on an American keyboard
« on: July 13, 2004, 02:52:23 PM »
This is a weird/embarassing question and I'm not sure where to post it (feel free to move it!  :P )

I have my American laptop here with me and so it doesn't have a £ key. I've tried various suggestions for key strokes to insert one and they never seem to work for me (or maybe I'm just lame!  ???) So how DO you insert a £ key into emails? Right now I'm typing it into a word document and cutting and pasting which I realize is NOT the best way  :-\\\\

If you have a suggestion, please be explicit (i.e. "hold down key x WHILE typing key y") 'cause as you may have noticed, I'm not so quick with technology. Heeheehee.  ;D

• Chap with the wings there...five rounds rapid
    • Kinkamono Internet Services
  • Liked: 0
Re: £ key on an American keyboard
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 03:06:17 PM »
To get a GBP symbol on a US keyboard you have two alternatives:

1. Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools and find Character Map. Select the pound sign and copy it. You can then paste it into your document/UK Yankee post/whatever.
2. Memorise the Alt key combination. In the bottom right corner of Character Map you'll notice when you highlight a symbol the "Keystroke" for it appears. This is usually Alt+something. For a GBP symbol it's Alt+0163. To get this, hold down the Alt key and type 0163. Let go, and the GBP symbol will appear. Nothing will appear until you let go of the Alt key! :)

Hope that helps
Davros: Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe! The Dalek!!

Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 05:26:57 PM »
Thanks very much Big Ridge! I've been trying the alt thingy and for some reason it's not working. So thanks to you I've stuck a shortcut to the character map on my desktop. That should speed me up a bit!!!  ;D

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 05:37:55 PM »
Here's a couple of tips for the alt shortcuts:

* You must use the alt key on the left-hand side of the keyboard.
* When you type the numbers, it must be on your number keypad and not the numbers above your home row.

Hope this helps!
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 06:03:23 PM »

* When you type the numbers, it must be on your number keypad and not the numbers above your home row.

Hope this helps!

[smiley=idea2.gif] THAT's the problem then, thanks for that Caitlinn - now I feel a little less lame!! I'm on a laptop and I don't even HAVE a number keypad!!!!

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 08:21:19 PM »
On my laptop, I have a function key to turn some of the normal keys into a 'keypad'.  You might want to try turning that function key on then trying your alt code.  Dunno if it will work, but worth a try.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 12:57:14 AM »
Alternatively, you can create your OWN shortcut keys for symbols.  For example, I have mine aet up so that Alt + P = £; Alt + E = €. 

Both of our computers are from the States, so it was easier to do it that way.  Of course, poor Paul gets used to the @ symbol being in a different place now depending on if he's home or at work ;-)

• flavin!
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 10:58:54 AM »
Alright then - I need the learnin' how to make my own shortcuts then. Never had to do it before and although I can remember 156 or 0163 a shortcut would just be easier.

So how did you make a keyboard shortcut? Through Windows or through the specific program you're using?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by things you didn't do than by things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 03:28:52 PM »
To create a shortcut key for Word, Excel etc...open a word document then pull down the insert menu.  Click on symbol and a box will some up with symbols.  Click on the symbol you want to create a shortcut for, then click the box that says Shortcut Key.  Then key in the shortcut you want to use and click Assign.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 10:18:36 PM »
I thought it was Ctr 156 for a £ sign. I cannot test it though as I am in the UK with a British keyboard!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab