Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Colon Surgery  (Read 1677 times)

• Liked: 2
Colon Surgery
« on: July 15, 2004, 09:26:24 AM »
Does anyone know of someone who has had colon surgery? 

I ask b/c my second Dad is having colon surgery  -- in the US -- and I'm here -- not easy to be so far away.  I'm trying to search out information on the internet -- but I thought if anyone had a "personal" experience they would be willing to share.

Also -- if anyone knows of a good website -- please oh PLEASE pass it along to me.  I think it's best to gather as much information as possible -- and I'll be able to share it with my friends.

I wanted to know mostly about recovery.  How long - and any difficulties that had occured -- such as with diet post surgery.  We've been told that hospital stay will be anywhere from 4 days - 14 days -- all depends on the extent of the surgery.  Dad's got high BP and a heart murmur that has everyone concerned.  DAMN THIS DISTANCE!!

I'm starting a CARE package to send for home time recovery -- books -- new pillowcases, variety of chewing gum.......

Thanks everyone!   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 09:30:17 AM by driveupcoffee »

Re: Colon Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 02:35:22 PM »
Sorry I don't know anyone close to me who has had colon surgery so I'm no help there. :-\\\\ Just wanted to send (((hugs))) to you and best wishes for an easy surgery and quick recovery for your dad. I love the idea of the care package you're sending him...very thoughtful..I'm sure he'll love it. :)

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 03:04:17 PM »
Thanks for that Melissa!!!

I've been checking websites and reading some good info -- and some horror stories. The horror stories scared me too much so I stopped looking at that and looked at SHOES instead (www.shoes.com -- they ship internationally!)  whew!

[smiley=bulb.gif]Crossword puzzles, deck of cards while in the hospital -- hand held solitaire game for at home.......

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 12:37:12 AM »
hi, I don't know if this qualifies as 'personal' experience, but as an RN, I hve taken care of patients after having colon surgery.  The most helpful thing I can think of to tell you is: the patients who do best when recovering are the ones who have lots of loving support and prayers (scientific evidence show that even unknown prayers or meditation increases health outcomes).  The care package you send and calls you make will do wonders!

As for medical information, there are a lot of different types/degrees of colon surgeries, the biggest risk is infection due to bowel materials.  The heart murmur shouldn't impact anything (it's very common), and the MD's can conrol blood pressure with medicine, if it was a concern, they would not proceed with the surgery. 

No matter what, I have seen people of all ages have colon surgeries, and they do well.  It is not easy to watch a loved one go through painful events, I am sorry that you have to be so far away.  I will be praying for your father!

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 08:03:50 AM »
Oh krizzanne -- thanks for that!  That puts my mind at ease somewhat -- it's this distance -- and the fact that DaddE-O doesn't want to talk about IT.  If positive thoughts are a sure road to recovery -- then he's well on his way!!  Thanks again!  :D

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 09:54:51 AM »
I think the other thing you have to watch is that post-surgery, they need to start, ummm, releasing gas fairly soon. My grandfather had colon surgery and no one (including the docs) alerted anyone to be watching for this. And he wasn't - which means things were blocked up. So they had to go in again. He was well over 70 and despite 2 surgeries and a history of other cancers, recovered well.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
I think the other thing you have to watch is that post-surgery, they need to start, ummm, releasing gas fairly soon. My grandfather had colon surgery and no one (including the docs) alerted anyone to be watching for this. And he wasn't - which means things were blocked up. So they had to go in again. He was well over 70 and despite 2 surgeries and a history of other cancers, recovered well.
Thanks for that balmerhon -- I read about that on a surgery site -- and another said that chewing gum promotes the production of "gas" -- I thought I would send a variety of different kinds -- also -- that way when anyone is visiting -- they'll be PLENTY to choose from -- and a topic of conversation -- "oh where did all the chewing gum come from?" -- Good to now your Grandfather recovered very well --- it must be like what krizzanne said -- the power of positive thinking!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 02:56:21 PM »
My mom had colon surgery 4 years ago and had 1/3 of her colon removed due to cancer. As far as the surgery went, everything was hunky dory. She's got a list of things to avoid but for the life of me I can't remember what they are... but still, after losing 1.3 of her colon she's doing fantastically well from that surgery, and her current cancer has nothing to do with it so it was a success... I know how hard it is to be away from a loved one when something like this happens, as she's in the middle of chemo right now. BIG BIG BIG hugs to you...
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Sponsored Links