Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about Visa Processing Times  (Read 459 times)

• Liked: 0
Question about Visa Processing Times
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:05:41 PM »
Hello,

I am an American citizen and have recently submitted a marriage/settlement visa application to mary my British fiance. My biometrics appointment was on July 11, I sent in the application the next day, and recieved an e-mail on July 23 saying they had just opened my application and it would be processed within the next 40-45 days. I had already bought my ticket for August 19th to London (I bought it before my fiance proposed - at a time when I thought the visit would only last a few months) and I noted the date of my ticket reservation in my cover letter of my application.

I checked the guide to visa processing times, which comforted me in knowing that it is possible to have a settlement visa processed in as short as 5 days (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/processingtimes/)

and I have written to WorldBridge, who tell me that it is possible to withdraw your passport in time for travel without cancelling the visa application process.

I know I probably should have hired a visa expediting service, but I really hadn't even done any research into the matter, as I was already flustered enough with trying to complete the application and get it sent in as soon as possible (unaware of the fact that you are meant to hire the expediter BEFORE you send in the application).

I am getting nervous about this all, wondering whether or not I should pause the application process ( I also have plans to meet up with family in the UK in early september for a family thing, which is why I bought the ticket for when I did) and wondering if I do pause the application process, how much time in advance should I do it, so that I can be sure to have my passport in time?

Anyone think they know the best thing for me to do? I would GREATLY appreciate some advice!

Thank you!

sep. 07 - year abroad in UK
jan 08- met british boyfriend
august 08- back in US/ boyfriend still in UK
may 09- propsal!
june 09 - visa app and biometrics
july 09 - application submitted
october 09 - APPLICATION APPROVED!!!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Question about Visa Processing Times
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:12:43 PM »
Can you change the date of your flight?  Cancelling the application is a bad idea because you'll lose the fee.  Also, a cancelled settlement visa application might show up on your passport when you go through immigration to enter the UK.  I don't know if it does or not, but there's at least a small risk of you being refused entry as a result.  If I were you, I'd see about changing the ticket and be prepared to miss the family thing in September.  If your application has already been opened, there's nothing you can do to speed things up.  What consulate did you apply to?   
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »
I applied to the LA consulate.

I wouldn't be applying to cancell the application, but merely pausing it to have my passport back -  a friend told me he did the same thing when he applied for a student visa a year ago, and it worked out just fine.
may 09- propsal!

• Britannicaine
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
It's a possibility, I have heard of people pausing their applications.  But I wouldn't count on it.  Worldbridge is useless, you'll have to contact the LA consulate directly.  http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-offices-in-the-us/other-locationsin-us/la/

A politely worded fax might do the trick.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »
Is it at all likely that my visa application will be processed in time? (does anyone know from experience?)

If I do send a fax to the consulate, would it be a politely worded fax requesting to pause the application process, or merely an inquiry as to how I might go about it?

Thanks for all the help!
may 09- propsal!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »
None of us can know for sure if your application will be processed in time, but my thought is that it is highly unlikely if you applied just a month before you need to travel.  The LA consulate seems to be taking approx 40-50 business days lately.  
As Historyenne said, pausing applications is *possible*, but not very common.  Generally if one needs their passport back, the entire application is retracted and you must reapply and pay the fee again.

Good luck to you!

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »
Does anyone know if I'll get an e-mail first, saying that my visa has been approved? Or will it just come in the mail unannounced?
may 09- propsal!

• Britannicaine
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:15:48 AM »
You should get an e-mail.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »
Okay well, I'm getting the sense that I was naively optimistic with the processing times. I'm reading that other people have waited up to 55 - 59 days for their fiance visas!

As a result my fiance and I have begun arranging a plan B - he'll be coming out to visit me for a few weeks and I'll have to forfeit the money for the flight and miss my family vacation in September.

I guess now I should just pour all my energy into hoping it gets approved!

Thanks for all the input...best of luck to anyone else who is waiting
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:34:57 PM by caafe »
may 09- propsal!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab