Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tough new points system for earning citizenship  (Read 667 times)

• Liked: 2
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Re: Tough new points system for earning citizenship
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:57:51 AM »
Thank you, vinny! 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 06:21:37 AM »
There is already an established thread on this:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=55893.0

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Ha, well I will fill out the online consultation questionare telling them what I think... regardless of how it won't do anything  ::)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »
Am I really going to have to ask either my or my husbands employer for a letter that I speak English?  What if you have a few speeding tickets or drop a snickers wrapper on the tube, is the government going to send you back to your birth country and force you to get a divorce?
What about fraud prevention? We hear stories of irregularities with people who are able to use the NHS  or obtaining bank accounts. This screams people who have connections will work around the rules and get citizenship but people who don't will be forced to get a divorce courtesy of The British Government.
What exactly is this program where I'm supposed to to go back to the US and educate Americans as if it's a third world country. I'm concerned that teaching UK globalization at the Short Hills Mall might place me on a Homeland Security watch list.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:16:54 AM by NYYankeesFan »

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »
Am I really going to have to ask either my or my husbands employer for a letter that I speak English?
That is what the Knowledge of Life in the UK test is for.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:23:20 AM »
That is what the Knowledge of Life in the UK test is for.
I thought I read that's what you can do to prove that you speak English for the new points based system for citizenship.
Can you do that instead of taking Knowledge of Life in the UK because if I could that instead it would save me 30 odd pounds and the train to Lewisham.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:28:03 AM »
I thought I read that's what you can do to prove that you speak English for the new points based system for citizenship.
Can you do that instead of taking Knowledge of Life in the UK because if I could that instead it would save me 30 odd pounds and the train to Lewisham.

Again those are the details that will be worked out at the discretion of UKBA & Home office, but currently it is the Life in the UK test. And if this statement you made from June this year still holds true:
I still have 18 months before I can apply for my ILR.  
Your application will be BEFORE the changes happen in July 2011 (23 months from now) so you will need to take the test.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »
Yes I do qualify for my ILR Dec 2010 but my issue is I wasn't planning on becoming a citizen after the 3 years. However if I'm reading this right if I don't become a citizen after 3 years i will be subject to the new Immigration rules so maybe I would want to change that decision.
Now back to my Life in the UK study guide.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:53:15 PM »
I wonder which side of these changes I will fall on. I will be applying for ILR in June 2010, so I guess that would make me eligible for citizenship application just before the changes are made? Off topic, but how much does it cost to apply for citizenship? I am hoping to do so as soon as possible.  :)

• Liked: 10
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 01:21:01 PM »
Just to be safe (expecting the worst but hoping for the best), I'd start putting aside £1,000-1,500 for a June 2010 IRL application and another £1,000 for a June 2011 naturalisation application.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
I agree with LL, but am thinking more along the lines of GBP 2,000 - 2,500 post 2011

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 01:51:01 PM »
Yes I do qualify for my ILR Dec 2010 but my issue is I wasn't planning on becoming a citizen after the 3 years. However if I'm reading this right if I don't become a citizen after 3 years i will be subject to the new Immigration rules so maybe I would want to change that decision.
Now back to my Life in the UK study guide.

You'll need to take the KOL either way - as it's a requirement for your ILR application. 

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 09:21:08 AM »
I agree with LL, but am thinking more along the lines of GBP 2,000 - 2,500 post 2011

Holy Cannoli!!! That's a lot of scratch!  :o

Just to be safe (expecting the worst but hoping for the best), I'd start putting aside £1,000-1,500 for a June 2010 IRL application and another £1,000 for a June 2011 naturalisation application.

I was thinking this would be the case. ILR costs £820 at the moment, doesn't it, for postal apps? (I would have a bit more than that just in case, but hoping the rates don't go up again before then.) Hopefully I can manage to pay for driving lessons next year, too, while I am saving all this dough for the immigration stuff. I can't wait until I won't have to worry about this stuff anymore.  :-\\\\

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab