Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name on naturalisation application different to name on passport?  (Read 466 times)

• Liked: 0
I'm starting to fill out the paperwork for my naturalisation application next month, and I have a question about names.  Specifically:

+ When I got married, I dropped my maiden name and applied for my new US passport as First Middle Married.  Consequently, my US passport, FLR, ILR, SSN card, UK driving license and UK bank account all bear this name.

+ Professionally, however, I am still know as First Middle Maiden Married, which is reflected on some, but not all, of my HR paperwork as well as my US bank account.

Upon trying the new name on for size for the past couple of years, I have decided that I would like to keep all four names.  I have read here in the past that after marriage, one can choose to keep one's maiden name, take one's married name, or combine the two names without undergoing any additional legal process - and it makes sense to me to apply for naturalisation with the name I intend to use henceforth. 

Section 1.7 of form AN states "If the names you have given are different or spelt differently from the name shown on your passport, please explain why on page 14" - which I will obviously do.  However, I am worried that "I didn't want to keep my maiden name but now I do" isn't going to be a sufficient explanation, and that there's something else I should be doing to make this more "official." 

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Re: Name on naturalisation application different to name on passport?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
Ask Mort.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:57:04 AM »
I went from my maiden name on my US passport to my married name and in the explanation I put down was "Want to use married name" or somesuch. No supporting paperwork other than my marriage cert.

I don't think there's need for anything official as long as there's something in your app to show your maiden name. Your marriage certificate will have it, right? And you'll be enclosing that with your app. "Want to use maiden-married name" should be enough of an explanation.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »
I went from my maiden name on my US passport to my married name and in the explanation I put down was "Want to use married name" or somesuch. No supporting paperwork other than my marriage cert.

I don't think there's need for anything official as long as there's something in your app to show your maiden name. Your marriage certificate will have it, right? And you'll be enclosing that with your app. "Want to use maiden-married name" should be enough of an explanation.

This is great information to have...

My US passport has my maiden name. Can I start using my married name without doing any paperwork??
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »
princesslemons- yes, you can.  you just need to show your marriage certificate whenever doing something that requires ID (like opening a bank account) which will be enough to prove that your name has changed.  Otherwise, you just start using it.

My US passport still has my maiden name on it and at this point I probably won't change it until right before or right after I naturalise as British.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »

Excellent - this is just what I wanted to hear. ;D  Thanks, hon!   :-*

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »
princesslemons- yes, you can.  you just need to show your marriage certificate whenever doing something that requires ID (like opening a bank account) which will be enough to prove that your name has changed.  Otherwise, you just start using it.

My US passport still has my maiden name on it and at this point I probably won't change it until right before or right after I naturalise as British.

Thanks springhaze ;D
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:27:46 PM »
This is great information to have...

My US passport has my maiden name. Can I start using my married name without doing any paperwork??

Except for your visa-related stuff which will require the name that is on your passport, you can use your married name as you like. All my accounts, credit/debit cards, my lease, my license, and pretty much everything else UK-based was in my married name and the the only people to ask for documentation were Barclays and the DVLA. Marriage cert suffices for that.

Before, I used to think that there was this sharp demarcation: today you use maiden, tomorrow married and that's that. But the truth is, it's incredibly fluid -- you can use one, the other, or both in combination and no need for any kind of official "changing o' the name" paperwork or anything.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab