Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My accent  (Read 13877 times)

• Liked: 9
Re: My accent
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2014, 01:08:42 AM »
I never got all the comments about leaving America for England comments. Generally, a bit of conversation would lead to their love of the heat, or the comment was based on a trip to Disney, NYC, LA or Vegas, with loads to do and see. I came from small towns in the middle of corn fields. And trust me, when it is 95+ and so humid you sweat standing still. the heat loses its charm really fast, so after a lifetime of it, you are immune to the beauty of all things heat related.

I loved being asked why 'you lot' say things a certain way. It got to the point where I would tell people they would have to build a time machine and go back to ask their ancestors why they changed the spelling and pronunciation of things after the Mayflower landed in America.

Don't get me wrong, I dearly miss living in the UK and ask hubby quite often why we moved back here. I just don't miss certain aspects of it.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 2
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2014, 08:31:14 PM »
for a grin:
my husband (brit) and i (so cali native) dont socialize really...
he started working with public last year, and gets remarks on his accent all the time!
guess which one of us is the talker...?  ;)
2009 met in EQ
2010 fell in love in LotRO while Skyping
2011 brought me to UK for 6 months
2012 fiance visa
2014 ILR

• Liked: 1
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Yeah, but have you heard Americans try to imitate a British accent? Because they do that as well, and equally badly. Think Dick Van Dyke but worse.  ;)

oh sure, i'm the worst at it. i mean, not in front of a brit out in public, trying to imitate them. that's obnoxious. but say when it's just me and the hub i will try every now and then and i end up indian, lol! it's brutal! i do wish i would pick up a bit of an english accent, not strong but just a bit. boo hoo

My neighbour does a very funny Buddy Hackett. Sometimes I will pretend to be Johnny Carson and he will do the Hackett bit...

Me (as Carson): "Buddy, I read recently where you fell off the stage at the Sands...really wild stuff..."

Neighbour (as Buddy Hackett): It shoir waz Johnny...Rickles waz dere...I landed in his cobb salad...."

would LOVE to hear that! :)

My friend also complains that I'm not an 'interesting' (i.e. loony) American.

some friend! lol....
~~~
StealthG, who is DH? is your rude roomie drunk a lot?? yes, keep just walking away, i mean like literally as he's speaking. if he asks why you're leaving say you refuse to take part in an uncivilized or respectful conversation. sometimes, you gotta stand up to these jerks. your living space should not be uncomfortable. people out in public, eff them, they're strangers, you will never see them again, let it go. but at home, yeah, something's gotta give.

mystery meat, lol, reminds me of the scene in "meatballs"...Tripper: Attention. Here's an update on tonight's dinner. It was veal. I repeat, veal. The winner of tonight's mystery meat contest is Jeffrey Corbin who guessed "some kind of beef."

p.s. spam is disgusting. great monty python song tho ;)

What has always confused me is listening to all the 'Americans ONLY eat fast food', 'McDonald's on every corner' type comments, yet looking around it seemed there is a pasty shop on every corner. Any time while out and about people would be giving their kids a sausage roll or some other not so healthy on the go lunch, which seemed to me to be the equivalent of American kids eating fast food.
Yup.

ditto! but that's more a material thing rather than accents, sooo

• Liked: 533
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2014, 01:29:58 PM »
Tripper: Attention. Here's an update on tonight's dinner. It was veal. I repeat, veal. The winner of tonight's mystery meat contest is Jeffrey Corbin who guessed "some kind of beef."

I can't express how much I love Meatballs. My wife HATES it. I put it on, and of course the opening scene has Tripper awakening to make the morning announcement....and he puts on that silly hat. My wife says, "So that's the opening gag? He puts on a silly hat?"
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
augh! ah well, more for us! lol...i will love that movie until the end of time!

edited to express impression with the fact someone else knows the movie besides me! lolol

« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:21 AM »
I had a great giggle at work today, when I overheard a woman talking to hubby and commented on how strong his Illinios accent is. We're in Indiana, just on the border of Illinois, but far enough south there isn't a strong distinction like there is in the Chicago and other far northern areas of the state.

I was quite surprised that a) she would mistake English for Illinois, and b) he didn't correct her. He generally does when someone guesses Irish or Scottish, especially Irish.

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »
Seems Boston just produces yawns.  Not 'exotic' enough.  We have (British) friends who've gone on tours in the South and the West but wouldn't come to visit me because Boston would be too much like England  ::) so a waste of time.  My friend also complains that I'm not an 'interesting' (i.e. loony) American.

It's been kind of a mixed bag for me. People have thought it was really cool or were disappointed I don't live near Vegas. Some have no clear where or what it is.

85% of the time people are positive and receptive to immigrant status. Few people guess I'm American first try and even fewer guess Canadian. Mostly I get Irish, Scottish (???) or Australian. 15% of the time I'm made to answer for America's wrongdoings or have to listen to a tirade about how American English isn't sophisticated and we sound stupid and are ruining the language.  ::) I then tell them which accents I don't like over here and the words and phrases that irk me. Usually, they say, "I never thought about it that way" or they get offended. Then I say, well why is ok for you to criticise American accents, but it's not ok for me to do the same with British accents? That usually shuts them up.

« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
Another giggle at work, yesterday.

Supervisor: Are you getting excited about your guest being here soon?
Me: We can't wait! It will be so good to see her.
Supervisor: Is J happy she is coming?
Me: He's really looking forward to it.
Supervisor: So, does she speak another language, or English? Just in case I bump into her in the halls*, to know if I can speak to her.
Me: She speaks English. (While inside me head, I am screaming thoughts along the lines of 'surely you aren't seriously asking this question!'
Supervisor: I wasn't sure.
Me: English people speak English

*She will be coming with us some of the days we work, to use the pool and just hang out. There are places she can sit outside and enjoy her Indiana sunshine, plus she loves to swim.

― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 19
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
when it is 95+ and so humid you sweat standing still. the heat loses its charm really fast, so after a lifetime of it, you are immune to the beauty of all things heat related.

And yet, after 3 years out here, I'd take all the heat and humidity in the world, over cool, clammy, foggy 'summers'.

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »
Completely missed that last reply. I enjoyed my three summers in the UK, because I positively wilt in the heat. Yesterday was 101 and hideously humid. MIL even said it was a bit much, although she sat out in it most of the day. ;D

There were days I missed the warmth of summer, but I never did miss the oppressive heat and humidity.

― Dr. Seuss

Sponsored Links