Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My accent  (Read 13891 times)

• Matthew's two favourite things - chocolate & !!
  • Liked: 0
Re: My accent
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
My brother recently went from Knaresborough to Cornwall and decided to do it in two days due to having children in the car - just as well because the traffic meant that on day one it took them nearly 9 hours to get as far as Glastonbury (which still left a couple of hours travel for the following day).  I gather the traffic was at a standstill round Birmingham.

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »
I can remember hubby driving us from Reading to his parents' house in Leeds. It took about 3 1/2 hours. On the motorway there were all these signs "Tiredness can Kill"  encouraging people to take breaks driving! I always thought that was cute. Heck, I've driven from St. Petersburg to Raleigh in a straight stretch! ;D ;D ;D

As for the accent, I always dreaded it when people would ask where I was from. As soon as I said "Florida" I had to hear about their sister/neighbour/aunt who had been to Disney World on holiday. Everyone would always ask how far I lived from Disney.  ::)
May 2005 - Moved to UK on Fiancee Visa
July 2005 - Married UKC
Sep 2005 - Received LLR
July 2006 - Moved to US
May 2024 - Received UK Spousal Visa Entry Clearance

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »
As for the accent, I always dreaded it when people would ask where I was from. As soon as I said "Florida" I had to hear about their sister/neighbour/aunt who had been to Disney World on holiday. Everyone would always ask how far I lived from Disney.  ::)

LOL! I hate to break it to you, but even if you aren't from Florida, you still have to hear about eveyone's holiday in Florida. Last night I ran into my nephew and one of his little friends. The little friend asked me where I was from in the states, then proceeded to go on and on about how he had been to Florida twice and thought it was "mint," etc. That's just one instance. To be truthful, I always hold my breath and wait for the "I've been to Florida...." speech that follows after I say I'm from Texas. As if Florida and Texas are a stone's throw away or something.  :P

ETA: Also, when I tell people I'm from Dallas, guess what follows? Either a joke about how we assasinate presidents or some reference to the television show, which I am almost too young to remember.  ::) Makes me almost wish I was from Delaware.  :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:23:40 AM by Jewlz »

• If you take my breath away...
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »
The Florida factor works in my favor.  When I say I'm from Georgia, I usually get the blank stare.  All I have to do is say, 'Just above Florida' to get the smile, nod, and
'I have/My cousin has..been to Florida'
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2009, 12:59:43 PM »
My answer is always 2 hours south of New York City.   ;)

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »
LOL! I hate to break it to you, but even if you aren't from Florida, you still have to hear about eveyone's holiday in Florida.

LMAO.  Get the same thing even though I am from Ohio.  Because no one has ever been to Ohio... and as such, i get the Disney World stuff as well, along with how far away I am.  Oh, just a day and a half drive...

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2009, 04:13:58 AM »
This thread is cracking me up. I am from FL and will be moving to London in a week! I have already heard all of my new family's holiday stories about Disney. The funny thing is that most people that live in FL don't even like Disney or go there at all.
Regarding the driving in the UK- my husband is from Newcastle and complains about the 4 hour drive and how it takes forever. I try to tell him that most people in the US would love to have their family only 4 hours away. You can drive for four hours and still be in the state of FL!

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »
Regarding the driving in the UK- my husband is from Newcastle and complains about the 4 hour drive and how it takes forever. I try to tell him that most people in the US would love to have their family only 4 hours away. You can drive for four hours and still be in the state of FL!

It's all relative, I suppose. The US is so much bigger and spread out, and gas prices so much cheaper that nothing is thought of driving several hours to get somewhere, but in the UK everything is so small, overcrowded, compact and expensive that it's just not feasible to drive far to get somewhere.

I have to go to London for a US visa interview in October and although it's only 120 miles (90 minutes on the train), if I bought an anytime return ticket leaving at 7 a.m., it would cost me £153  :o!!! In contrast, an Amtrak ticket from Los Angeles to New York City (3,000 miles in 3 days) would only cost me about £118  ::). Luckily I did some digging around for cheaper trains to London and managed to get an outbound ticket for the 6 a.m. train for £24.50 and a return ticket on the 8.15 p.m. train for £13.50.

• If you take my breath away...
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2009, 08:30:59 AM »

I have to go to London for a US visa interview in October and although it's only 120 miles (90 minutes on the train), if I bought an anytime return ticket leaving at 7 a.m., it would cost me £153  :o!!!

I could see paying that much without advanced notice, but for an advanced purchase?  Ye-ouch.   
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »
This is off topic for the subject line, but since we are discussing distances, I heard this - maybe it was Bill Bryson who said it, I can't remember - anyway I thought it was a FABULOUS sentence which encapsulates so much in just a few words:

The difference between Brits and Americans is - Brits think 100 miles is a long way and Americans think 100 years is a long time.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2009, 06:40:49 PM »

The difference between Brits and Americans is - Brits think 100 miles is a long way and Americans think 100 years is a long time.

;D

I can't personally relate to the British distance thing, though, because my in-laws drive very long distances without batting an eye. I never even knew that was a British stereotype!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2009, 08:16:19 PM »
I could see paying that much without advanced notice, but for an advanced purchase?  Ye-ouch.   

Yes. A return ticket from York to London and back costs a fortune, and it's only a 2 hour ride.

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2009, 08:44:06 PM »
I know.

I just thought it was amusing that she put Yorkshire on a par with the entire US.

As if a trip from New York to LA is equivalent to a trip from Hull to Sheffield.

The funny thing is, you could probably go to different parts of NY state and have greater accent differences than between NYC and LA. :)

(Brooklyn and LI, for instance!)
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2009, 12:04:28 AM »
Yes. A return ticket from York to London and back costs a fortune, and it's only a 2 hour ride.

There was an article in one of the newspapers a while ago about how expensive the train fares were here - it was pointed out that at that time it was actually cheaper to fly from London to the Caribbean and back than to buy an open-ended train ticket from London to Scotland!!

• I am not alone, I am two in one, I am J & K...
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2009, 03:35:03 AM »
Ya know Im getting a bit nervous reading all of these comments. I have a very bad accent I think. I was raised in Oklahoma till I was 14, then moved to Georgia. I don't really know what kind of accent I have, just know its all my own. No one can understand me, I talk to fast for southerners. Im asked often where I am from. Also asked to repeat myself constantly. Ive been afraid of the move to the UK for some time just cause I dont think I will be able to understand some of the accents and because of my accent. How have some of you been able to cope? Im very shy and dont know how to handle being picked at. Ive even thought of switching careers when I come. Im an xray tech here but jeez the public scares me. Dont know how Ive managed here in the states. I miss my old job taking care of horses. They never insult ya.

I guess there is one good thing out of this, Im not alone. That could help I guess.
Always good to hear different views. Thanks for sharing with this stranger.

J & K

Sponsored Links