Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Few questions on Fiancee application  (Read 338 times)

• Liked: 0
Few questions on Fiancee application
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
I am filling out my UK fiancee application and I have ran into a few question which I'm not too sure about.

Travel dates?
Would this be my return plane ticket to the UK? I got my return ticket flying out of DC around the end of November...if I put that date, will it push back the processing date? As I would have time to wait. As soon as I get my fiance visa, I am planning on leaving as soon as I can.

Marital status?
I am engaged...so what do I check? Unmarried partner? Or single? I just know that further down the application it asks what your partners name is. And it says, skip this if you are single.

Residential and contact address?
I haven't really been living in the states for quite some time.

My situation:
I moved over to the UK in 2004, had to leave in 2008. Three months later I came back to the UK on a visitors visa to spend time with my fiance for 5 months - this is where I am now. In that time, my family moved back over to the UK as my father was offered another job. As I am no longer a dependent, I was not on this visa. So me going back to the states, I don't really live anywhere. I'm going back to stay with a friend until I get my fiancee visa. So when they ask me my residential address - what do I put?

I know when I was just on a visitor visa, and can't consider my fiance's house as my residential address.

Obviously my contact information will be at my friend's address.

Have you travelled to the UK within the last 10 years?
This gets a bit tricky.

I came on a dependency visa as my father was offered a job here in the UK in 2004. In 2008 we had to leave as his job was ending. My visa ended a few months before everyone else's because for some reason me being of age, they didn't want to issue me a full year's visa, only 6 months. So my visa ended in September, and my family's visa ended in December. My father called the Border Agency and asked if it would be alright if I stayed until December and left with the rest of my family, as I didn't have anywhere else to go.

They said it would be fine for me to stay until December and then leave. When I left the country, no one asked me about my overstay and gladly handed my passport back to me. As I came back to the UK on a visitor visa when March rolled around...and they let me into the country without any problems, I don't think this is a problem.

Do I state this on my visa application? As when they ask about the duration I stayed in the UK on my first visa, do I put months? Do I have to state this overstay - will it hurt me if I don't or if I do include it?

Any previous UK visas?
Again...do I state this 3 month overstay?

Those are my questions for now. I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on these questions.

Thanks
Feb 2008 - Met and began playing with partner
May 2008 - Starting dating partner
28 Aug 2009 - Completed online Fiancee Visa application
4 Sept 2009 - Biometrics completed and sent off application to expediter
9 Sept 2009 - Consulate received application
10 Sept 2009 - VISA APPROVED
20 Sept 2009 - Flying back to UK

Re: Few questions on Fiancee application
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:38:17 AM »
Anyone? Starting to get a bit nervous.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »
I think you've anwered your own questions really. Be truthful about the periods you have spent in the UK & the visas you had. Put the address where you are staying in the US as your address. Put the dates you would ideally like to travel, "subject to receiving a visa."

Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:01:36 AM »
Thanks so much for answering these.

Do you think there is a chance of refusal due to my overstay? When I did it, I wasn't trying to do anything bad...it's just what my father told me to do. And when they took my passport when I finally left the country - they didn't say anything about it.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
Travel dates?
Would this be my return plane ticket to the UK? I got my return ticket flying out of DC around the end of November...if I put that date, will it push back the processing date? As I would have time to wait. As soon as I get my fiance visa, I am planning on leaving as soon as I can.

The travel date you put will be the date that your visa is valid from (the consulate will look at your application and put that date on the visa), so if there's any chance you might want to travel to the UK earlier than November, I would put the earliest date you might possibly wish to enter the UK. A visa can be post-dated by up to 3 months, so if you applied today, the latest travel date you could enter would be November 25th - they will still process your visa when the application is received, but it won't be valid until that date.

Marital status?
I am engaged...so what do I check? Unmarried partner? Or single? I just know that further down the application it asks what your partners name is. And it says, skip this if you are single.

I'm not sure, to be honest (I haven't ever applied for a UK visa, but many people here have done fiance visa applications, so hopefully someone else can help on this one).

Residential and contact address?
I haven't really been living in the states for quite some time.

My situation:
I moved over to the UK in 2004, had to leave in 2008. Three months later I came back to the UK on a visitors visa to spend time with my fiance for 5 months - this is where I am now. In that time, my family moved back over to the UK as my father was offered another job. As I am no longer a dependent, I was not on this visa. So me going back to the states, I don't really live anywhere. I'm going back to stay with a friend until I get my fiancee visa. So when they ask me my residential address - what do I put?

I know when I was just on a visitor visa, and can't consider my fiance's house as my residential address.

Obviously my contact information will be at my friend's address.

I believe the address you put down will be where the consulate will send any correspondence - and where they will send your visa back to, so you need to give a US address that your visa can be delivered to and where you can be contacted if necessary.

Have you travelled to the UK within the last 10 years?
This gets a bit tricky.

I came on a dependency visa as my father was offered a job here in the UK in 2004. In 2008 we had to leave as his job was ending. My visa ended a few months before everyone else's because for some reason me being of age, they didn't want to issue me a full year's visa, only 6 months. So my visa ended in September, and my family's visa ended in December. My father called the Border Agency and asked if it would be alright if I stayed until December and left with the rest of my family, as I didn't have anywhere else to go.

They said it would be fine for me to stay until December and then leave. When I left the country, no one asked me about my overstay and gladly handed my passport back to me. As I came back to the UK on a visitor visa when March rolled around...and they let me into the country without any problems, I don't think this is a problem.

Do I state this on my visa application? As when they ask about the duration I stayed in the UK on my first visa, do I put months? Do I have to state this overstay - will it hurt me if I don't or if I do include it?

You need to include any time you have ever spend in the UK (if the box in the online form is not big enough, you can continue on a separate sheet/in an additional info box, if there is one) - the most important thing is to be completely honest about everything, because if you leave parts out and they find out you have not been completely truthful (especially about an overstay), it will be considered deception and could cause major immigration problems for you.

Any previous UK visas?
Again...do I state this 3 month overstay?

Every single time you have entered the UK, you have been issued a visa - even if you were just a visitor, the stamp in your passport is actually a visa (albeit one that was issued at the border and was not applied for beforehand), so I believe you should list all your entrances to the UK and explain everything that happened in 2008.

If you are honest about the overstay, then the worst that could happen is that the consulate refuses your visa (but it wouldn't stop you from re-applying again in the future). However, if you leave information out and they discover that you have not been honest, you could have problems with UK immigration for the rest of your life (you could even end up with a 10-year ban from the UK!).

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:09:47 AM »

Do you think there is a chance of refusal due to my overstay? When I did it, I wasn't trying to do anything bad...it's just what my father told me to do. And when they took my passport when I finally left the country - they didn't say anything about it.

I would say it's unlikely. Attach a note to your application explaining, just as you have done here.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »

Of course it wasn't your fault.  ::)

Overstaying usually does not affect spousal or fiancee visas. Very sad and unfortunate but true. If you'd like to read it in the immigration law you can see it here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part9/ The part you want to read is 320(7)B and 320(7)C.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:29:56 AM »
Of course it wasn't your fault.  ::)

Hey... it really wasn't. I was just leaving with my family and my dad did call immigration and they said it would be all right for me to just leave with them.

Overstaying usually does not affect spousal or fiancee visas. Very sad and unfortunate but true. If you'd like to read it in the immigration law you can see it here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part9/ The part you want to read is 320(7)B and 320(7)C.

I assume you meant that they do affect spousal and fiancee visas? Damn...I stayed for just under three months. But I did leave voluntarily. I did come back to the UK on a visitors visa and they didn't say anything to me. So I assumed it was all right?

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:33:37 AM »
Ah... found this.

(7C) Paragraph 320(7B) shall not apply in the following circumstances:

(a) where the applicant is applying as:

(ii) a fiancĂ©(e) or proposed civil partner under paragraph 290.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
Romancandle, don't worry, really. Your father obtained advice from the Home Office at the time and they will no doubt have a record of that conversation.  It's their opinion that counts in the end, after all.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »
Ah... found this.
(7C) Paragraph 320(7B) shall not apply in the following circumstances:

(a) where the applicant is applying as:

(ii) a fiancĂ©(e) or proposed civil partner under paragraph 290.

That would be it.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:43:35 AM »
Thanks guys...you all are very helpful.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab