Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did your significant other propose to you?  (Read 8398 times)

• Liked: 0
How did your significant other propose to you?
« on: August 22, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »
I'm curious to know how your SO asked you to marry them? Was it on a trip to the UK or in the states? Romantic or were you resigned to the fact that the best way to permanently stay in the UK was via marriage? I have been saying the past two years to my boyfriend that I didn't want to marry because it was the only way for me to stay here, however its becoming harder and harder to uproot my life to come over for months at a time, not to mention its torture when parting at the airport. At this point If he asked I would defiantly say YES< YES< YES!! Not only because  I'm very much in love with him, but love the UK and have a desire to experience another part of the world. Right now i cannot imagine life without him. whats your story? I would love to know others personal experience on the matter :)

Re: How did your significant other propose to you?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »
My husband proposed during a trip to the States. It was very romantic, but I had a feeling it was coming before he left again, so not much of a surprise!   ;D 

The only difference between what we wanted and what actually happened is that we weren't planning on getting married until next summer (2010), but I had issues with the tier 4 visa so, rather than push our plane tickets back by a month, I bought a cute little dress and we got hitched in the park. We can still have the fancy-pants wedding next year.

Jen

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
The only difference between what we wanted and what actually happened is that we weren't planning on getting married until next summer (2010), but I had issues with the tier 4 visa so, rather than push our plane tickets back by a month, I bought a cute little dress and we got hitched in the park. We can still have the fancy-pants wedding next year.

Buying a cute little dress and getting married in the park..... awwwwe! That's so much more romantic than a big fancy-pants wedding. Sounds lovely!  :)

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
It was! I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.  :)
Jen

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:25:52 AM »
It was more of a solution than a proposal, but I still got a nice diamond out of the deal (who am I to deny my Jewish American Princess heritage???)
We did LDR for almost 3 years and we talked about how we could be together, and getting married seemed like the best idea!

And this month we celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »
It was more of a solution than a proposal, but I still got a nice diamond out of the deal...

Lol!  Me too!  He proposed over the telephone, after having moped for awhile, following a visit of mine to the UK for a month over Christmas/New Year's (when he should have proposed, IMO, but he didn't and I was angry -- he later said he didn't know he was supposed to propose then - ha ha! men?!).  I had been back in the US for 2-3 weeks by then - also another suitor (a guy I worked with) was sort of knocking at my door.  ;)

The proposal wasn't very romantic, and yes - it was a solution on how we could be together.  But I moved over at the end of March that year.

He took me to Antwerp for my 40th birthday in July that summer, where we bought a diamond and then had a ring made (that we designed together with a jewelry designer here in town) after we got back to Leeds.  Got married in August.

Celebrated our 5th anniversary earlier this month!  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 10:16:50 AM »
He was visiting for xmas and New Year's  and two days before NY, I woke up one morning with this letter on my pillow:

You're the last rolo,
my first cup of coffee,
the jammy dodger
to dunk in my tea.

You're a shooting star,
the waxing moon,
the morning sun
you pierce the gloom.

You're all the special things in life
would you add one more
and be my wife?

I was so shocked that "Yes!" was like third on the list of things I said after reading it. The first two being: what's jammy dodger and what does the last rolo mean? *sigh* My failure in social grace aside, I was really touched and happy. :)

We went to get the ring the next day.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »
Oh, Mort, that is sweet!   :)

My DH and I were already living together here in the UK - I was on a student visa - aside from getting a little more edumacated, the visa gave us a chance to decide whether we really wanted to be together.  18 months in, we decided to go for it, but I told him I wanted a ring we both liked AND a romantic proposal!

So, we shopped for a ring together.  Once the purchase was made, it was up to him when/if he proposed!

Not long after we got the ring, we took a few days' holiday in Cornwall.  Our first evening there, sitting up on the coastal path above a beautiful little beach, just as the sun went down, he actually got down on one knee (so we weren't sitting, we were standing!) and proposed.  I can't remember his exact words anymore, but it was as touching and romantic as I could ever have asked for.

When we got back down to the little beach car park, we met another couple going to their car and he blurted out to them that he'd just asked me to marry him!  That started a conversation, of course.

Later in the holiday, he told me he'd asked me then because he reckoned the ring was safer on my finger than on his person...hard to believe that was over three years ago, and we've now been married a little over two years.  :)
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 11:03:01 AM »
We got married in June, but I still haven't been proposed to. We'd been together for 5+ years so it was just sort of understood that we'd get married - and we did.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
Awwww, Mort!!! That is so sweet!  :)

My hubs proposed over Skype in a deep "I don't want to live without you" conversation. But officially, he flew to Dallas "for a New Year's kiss" and proposed to me with a little silver ring from Tiffany's on boxing day when we had our belated Christmas together (he flew in that day).

*sigh* I loves him.  [smiley=smitten.gif]

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 11:15:42 AM »
He said 'maybe we should get married' over and over for about six months and eventually I said okay and we paid the JP $50 and now we're married.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »
He was visiting for xmas and New Year's  and two days before NY,

This is close to how it happend for me only mine happened 2 days before Christmas and he sent me a romantic poem in the mail before he arrived.

The night I picked him up from the airport he got down on one knee as we were getting ready for bed at my apartment (it was super late) [smiley=sleeping2.gif]. I was in a big baggy T-shirt and he was in shorts and a T-shirt. I was so not expecting it at all! I remember thinking to my self that I wished I looked a little better for this! I of course said yes and for some reason he forgot or was in shock because he didn't put the ring on my finger or stand up right away. I finally said "are you gonna to put that ring on my finger or not?" We both laughed as he stood up and put it on my finger. We were both madly in love and knew we wanted to be with each other so we went for it. We didn't see the point in putting it off. He proposed in December and we got married in May. Now when I look back I wouldn't want it any other way. It was perfect!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »
We got married in June, but I still haven't been proposed to. We'd been together for 5+ years so it was just sort of understood that we'd get married - and we did.

How did that go about? Did someone happen to mention making the wedding plans? ;D ;)

If I were to get a romantic proposal, I think I would just bust out laughing   :P I'm not quite sure why but whenever someone tries to be romantic with me, I just start laughing. I feel bad because they sometimes think I'm making fun of them, when I'm really just shocked and unable to properly react.

If I ever get to this stage in my relationship where marriage is a likely possibility, it might be like chary's situation or I'll have to propose myself.  ::) ;D
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
The significant other is supposed to propose?  :P

I did it! It wasn't a trip to the UK or a way to be together or stay here, because I already live here.  It was a completely romantic-spur of the moment-head over-heels gesture.  

Glad it wasn't a long distance thing or anything like that though, because this the whole living together-getting married part- ho hum!  Things don't always work like they are planned to!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »

Same here - I wasn't proposed to but we were planning to move to the UK and wanted to make the visa process easier.  We just picked a date after consulting with our families and started making plans.  One month later, done.

Sponsored Links