Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Chest X-Ray  (Read 355 times)

• Liked: 0
Chest X-Ray
« on: August 23, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »
Hi All,

I thought I'd come straight to the experts. I'm getting conflicting advice.

As a US citizen entering the UK with a Tier 4 Visa, do I need to have a chest x-ray before hand? Do the children need to have one? 

I keep finding references to it and people are talking about it on the school message board but I can't seem to find any direct evidence of it.

I'm leaving a week from tomorrow so I really need to know!

Amy

• Liked: 4
Re: Chest X-Ray
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »
Unless your school requires it, you do not need any medical exams at all. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:18:56 PM »
Huh. Never heard of that. I wonder if it's designed for people from countries with TB problems.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:26:16 PM »
Huh. Never heard of that. I wonder if it's designed for people from countries with TB problems.

The UK visa website does mention that visa applicants from certain countries will require a TB health screening in order to apply for their visa, so perhaps this is what's being discussed on the school message board (as quoted from the UK visa website, the countries requiring health screenings are: 'Bangladesh, Ghana (which also takes applications from Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Togo and Niger), Kenya (which also take applications from residents of Eritrea and Somalia), Pakistan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Thailand (which also takes applications from Cambodia and Laos)') .

Unless it is something that the school itself requires, I would guess that if you'd needed a chest x-ray you would have had to produce it as part of your visa application - I've never heard of applicants from the US requiring any medical tests for a UK visa before though.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:28:58 PM »
As a US citizen entering the UK with a Tier 4 Visa, do I need to have a chest x-ray before hand?

Not if you are applying in the USA! And that is not based upon your nationality, but where you are applying.

That is, if you, a USC are currently living in say Thailand, and you intend to apply for your visa in Bangkok, yes you would need to have a TB examination prior to applying for your visa ..... because Thailand is on the list requiring that.

Conversely, if a Thai citizen is currently living legally in the US, and now want to apply for a UK visa, applying in the US, they would not require a TB examination.
John

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:46:44 PM »
Thanks. That's what I thought.

Sponsored Links