Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I have a question regarding whether or not to get citizenship?  (Read 415 times)

• Liked: 1
My Sister-in-law is from Thailand and has been on ILR in the UK for a few years (before the most recent of changes).  

My question is:  Does she have to get UK Citizenship or can she just stay on ILR forever?  She is loathe to give up her Thai Citizenship (that's personal to her and I certainly am not going to prod her in either direction).  She knows the benefits of having UK Citizenship, I just want to know whether she HAS to get UK Citizenship under the new rules that are coming out and/or if she ever decides in the future (yrs down the road) to get UK Citizenship will she fall under the old rules or the new rules as she has had ILR for quite some time.

I just want to let her know about the changes coming down the pike.

Thanks All.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:57:18 AM by Alsatianx2 »

• Liked: 0
Re: I have a question regarding whether or not to get citizenship?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:47:03 AM »
Any particular reason why she'd need to give up her Thai citizenship for her UK one? Cause UK one doesn't require you to give up another one, so unless the Thai law prohibits it, why can't she have both?
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:20:52 AM »
As far as I know, there is no Thai law that prohibits dual citizenship. She would have to voluntarily renounce it and she is not required to renounce her Thai citizenship if she were to seek another citizenship.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:11:56 AM »
In that case.... why NOT get UK citizenship?

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:21:35 AM »
If I understand it correctly, when the new rules eventually do come into effect, she will have a couple of years to obtain citizenship under the old rules since she has ILR under the old rules.  If she doesn't do it by that time, then she'll have to obtain it under the new rules.  If there is some Thai law that doesn't allow her to take on another citizenship without losing her Thai citizenship then she would be able to remain on ILR forever.  However, if, as others think, there is no problem with her having dual citizenship, then, personally, I'd go for British citizenship soon...it's never going to be cheaper than it is now for one thing!  The prices will keep going up and the hoops will get more numerous and smaller (harder to jump through)!

We just got a survey from our MP asking our opinion about points-based citizenship and our thoughts on it...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 08:01:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input and answers.  

As far as I know she was under the impression that she would have to give up her Thai Citizenship, I will talk to my brother and find out if he knows for sure, maybe they should look into it a bit more.  I'll let him know what y'all say about it.  Personally she would definitely benefit from getting UK Citizenship.

If someone could point me to a website or link that states she won't have to give up her Thai Citizenship that would be great so I could email it on to her and my brother.  I will do my own search also.

Thanks everyone.

Edited to add that I have checked into it and found a forum www.thaivisa.com where that very same question has been asked and answered a few times.

Yes, it appears the laws were changed in 1992 and you have to choose to renounce your Thai Citizenship, it is no longer forced.  Now I just need to convince my SIL of the great benefits to her of becoming a UK Citizen.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 08:30:04 AM by Alsatianx2 »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »
It would probably be better if she enquired at the Thai Embassy about that. I don't think anyone here is qualified to advise on Thai citizenship.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:23:37 AM »
John might be, I think his wife is Thai and took UK citizenship.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:58 AM »
Oh, I didn't know that. Hopefully he'll see this then or the OP could PM him.

Sponsored Links