Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Advice on Spousal Visa...And my New Name...  (Read 345 times)

• Liked: 0
Advice on Spousal Visa...And my New Name...
« on: September 10, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
Ok, so I got married (YAY!!!!!!!!). Went on my Marriage Visitor Visa and now am back in the States to apply for my spousal visa.  My question I think would probably be pretty easy to answer...

I ideally would like to have my Spousal Visa issued in my new married name.  I figure since this is going to be one of my main sources of ID once I get to England and will want to open bank accounts, have work forms be in my married name that my visa should also be in that name.

Do I need to get my name changed in my passport then? 

How does everyone else do this???

Thanks for the advice. And I CAN'T WAIT to get back to my hubby!!!
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

Re: Advice on Spousal Visa...And my New Name...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 05:54:25 PM »
Your visa is issued in the name on your passport. So if you want your visa in your married name you need to have your passport renewed. If you do it from the US then you can pay to have it expedited usually through your local county clerks office or through the post office, but normally you're looking at about 3-4 weeks for a standard renewal.

• Oodles by Stephoodle
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:57:07 PM »
What many people have done (and what I plan on doing) is leaving my passport name the same and doing all the paperwork under that, but carrying an extra copy of my marriage certificate in my passport. I've read about others on this board doing that and not having any problems. :)
Oodles by Stephoodle:
Blog and Etsy Shop

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »
What many people have done (and what I plan on doing) is leaving my passport name the same and doing all the paperwork under that, but carrying an extra copy of my marriage certificate in my passport. I've read about others on this board doing that and not having any problems. :)

This is what I've done for the past 3+ years without any issues whatsoever.

I use  my passport as ID even though it's in my maiden name and all my documents, accounts and bills in the UK are in my  married name. I just have to show my marriage cert.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:08:37 PM »
What many people have done (and what I plan on doing) is leaving my passport name the same and doing all the paperwork under that, but carrying an extra copy of my marriage certificate in my passport. I've read about others on this board doing that and not having any problems. Smiley

This is what I've done for the past 3+ years without any issues whatsoever.

I use  my passport as ID even though it's in my maiden name and all my documents, accounts and bills in the UK are in my  married name. I just have to show my marriage cert.

Thanks!!!! I was wondering what most people did in this situation, since I couldn't imagine waiting for my new passport and then waiting for the visa... we're talking 2 months in that situation and I can't be without hubby for that long!!!
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »
I renewed my passport & changing my name at the same time. Then applied for my visa. I did this because I wanted to have all my stuff in 1 name, not have to risk losing a copy of my marriage certificate and since my passport was going to expire in 9 months anyway, so I renewed it.

Just keep in mind that you need at least 6 months left on your passport for them to issue your visa.

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:03:18 PM »
Thanks!!!! I was wondering what most people did in this situation, since I couldn't imagine waiting for my new passport and then waiting for the visa... we're talking 2 months in that situation and I can't be without hubby for that long!!!

I renewed my passport and had my name changed to my married name, and had my passport back in my hand 4 days after I sent it (paying extra to have it expedited, of course).  You can also use a courier and have your visa back to you in a few days.  It's doesn't take 2 months, if you can afford to little bit of extra money to have everything expedited. 

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
You don't have to carry your marriage certificate around with your passport. 

You need it for opening a bank account, but you don't need it at immigration or anything. 

Lots of people don't take their husband's name and to issue your visa the HO has already seen your marriage certificate. 

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:06:43 PM »
I'm getting married in November and hope to be in England for Christmas. I'm doing the same thing TarnLover did with expediting everything and don't expect to have any problems with it all going through in time. I've also only got about a year left on my passport & want to renew it here, rather than in the UK. So, if you can spare a little extra money (it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things), then you can get it all changed & back in little time. :)

BTW Congratulations!
7 November 2009 Married
4 December 2009 documents received by expediter & delivered to consulate in Chicago
9 December 2009 Visas approved and issued
14 December 2009 Arrived in UK
8 December 2011 Applied for ILR
19 February 2012 ILR approved

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »
Since my passport has at least 8 or so years left on it before it expires I just left it in my maiden name and travel with my marriage certificate. With that said, when I first entered on my spousal visa this last weekend, the IO asked me why I hadn't changed it over to my married name :( I just told her that I didn't have the money to change it over after I sorted out the visa and expediters and all that, and she didn't say anything after that but it struck me as an odd question. I was carrying my marriage certificate with me in my carry-on, but I didn't think to offer it to her, especially since she didn't ask to see anything beyond my passport despite that question. With that said, I do plan on using my husband's name, and I am using it now that I'm here in the UK, and hopefully next time I won't get asked that question again since I'll be traveling with my husband.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 08:38:04 PM »
Since my passport has at least 8 or so years left on it before it expires I just left it in my maiden name and travel with my marriage certificate. With that said, when I first entered on my spousal visa this last weekend, the IO asked me why I hadn't changed it over to my married name :(

Man, good thing that wasn't me.  1.  Because it seems like a pita and I am lazy and 2.  Because I must have forgotten that the UK makes all women subjects of their husbands  ::)  (Not that I actually have anything against changing my name but I am just really lazy)

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »
Man, good thing that wasn't me.  1.  Because it seems like a pita and I am lazy and 2.  Because I must have forgotten that the UK makes all women subjects of their husbands  ::)  (Not that I actually have anything against changing my name but I am just really lazy)

Heh, yeah I was so tired by that point (slept all of 5 minutes before leaving Portland, and 17 hours in transit) that I just answered her questions as best as I could with half my brain functioning. I would of been more than happy to show the certificate to her if she had a problem, but she didn't ask (she also asked if I was employed, and if my husband could support me, along with the normal 'where is your husband' question). I just thought it was a little odd is all.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
They do question you sometimes on entry even when you have a visa. I got questioned frequently, though never about married/maiden name things.

Never know when it'll happen either -- sometimes they'd just let me sail through, sometimes they'd get to a five minute chat.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links