Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UCAS vs. Contacting University  (Read 1551 times)

• my name is jonas
  • Liked: 0
UCAS vs. Contacting University
« on: July 21, 2004, 05:03:17 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have posted before.  Now, I have my UCAS application for the 2005 school year.  I have contacted a former teacher who will be my reference.

As both a "mature" and an "international" student with a few years of college under my belt (which I am not trying to transfer) do any of you have any advice/experience with the qualifications section of the application?  It does say to contact your specific university but I am not making much headway there.  No one seems to know or care what I am talking about.

any suggestions? 

Trisha
had a bit of a wobble.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: UCAS vs. Contacting University
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:32:08 PM »
Not to be dim here, but if you tell me what UCAS is, I might be able to help!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• my name is jonas
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 10:52:21 PM »
sorry!!!

UCAS is the clearinghouse through which all university applications are filed.  It stands for Universities and Colleges Admissions Service.  You send your application to them, they forward it to the universities  (up to 6) that you choose.  The universities then decide whether to send you an offer or not.

It advises that you should contact the university if you have any special circumstances about their admissions requirements (i.e., for  mature students). 

This is for undergrad.  How did everyone else get into university??!!??

trisha
had a bit of a wobble.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 08:34:30 AM »
Hmm..okay, so UCAS is a UK thing.  Still, I've never heard of it.  When I applied to university (both in the US and in the UK), I just requested an application directly from the university and posted it directly back to the university. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 08:38:39 AM by lolabola »

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 08:53:24 AM »
Hmm..okay, so UCAS is a UK thing.  Still, I've never heard of it.  When I applied to university (both in the US and in the UK), I just requested an application directly from the university and posted it directly back to the university. 

Ditto. I'd never even heard of this and I've been in a UK uni for 3+ years now. What's the advantage? One app for many unis? Do you have several in mind? Because if not, I'd just go direct. Now, I'm a postgrad, and know a couple others, and we've all also contacted the Dept we are interested in directly. I'd think this would not be altogether unusual for an international undergrad.

As for qualifications... do you mean academic or employment or both? I usually put as much info as I can and explanatory notes if at all possible.

Does this help at all?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 10:34:22 AM »
It does say to contact your specific university but I am not making much headway there.  No one seems to know or care what I am talking about.

I think this is the key.  Most universities (while they might be members of the UCAS group or whatever) deal primarily with applications requested from and sent directly to their admissions offices.  I've looked at the UCAS site and I can't figure out if they're wanting you to pay for their services...if they are, I'd suggest you just contact the universities directly.  (Actually, I'd suggest you contact the universities directly either way!)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 10:36:12 AM by lolabola »

• my name is jonas
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 02:38:33 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I am trying to apply to a few universities in the hopes of raising my odds of getting in.  I will just be a bit more persistent with the admissions offices.

My (british) husband said that was how he got into University and that's the way he thought everyone did it....but I might be better off talking to them firsthand.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it.

Trisha
had a bit of a wobble.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 02:49:14 PM »
Well, I can't guarantee this, but if you've had decent grades in the US and aren't aiming for, say, Oxford, you should have a pretty good shot no matter what. Will you be paying international tuition? Because frankly, this will make you more attractive!  :D

• my name is jonas
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 03:30:37 PM »
yes, unfortunately, i will be paying international fees (boo).

My problem is that I went to a great gifted high school (and elementary schools) but my family were victims of domestic violence that ended up with my step-father dead and my mother in jail.  I don't mean to say that casually but it's what happened and (years and years of therapy) have taught me that I cannot do anything about it.

However, being in college with no parents not to mention a fairly unhealthy (and still continuing to a lesser degree) problem with post-traumatic stress disorder and depression....i bombed out of college. 

I am trying to make a new start.  I've been out of school for over two years and have been working in my field (law) as a paralegal as well as doing volunteer work.  I have a great former professor who has offered to write me a good reference as he has first hand knowledge of what i went through in college.

I mean, how do I explain that to university officials?  I scored a 1330 on my SAT then went to college and had a pretty dismal 2.4 GPA.  I think I have a reasonable excuse for messing up and I have been doing well for awhile.  I am just scared I can't even get my foot in the door.

But I am trying...

Trisha
had a bit of a wobble.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 03:37:40 PM »
Why not type up an "essay" explaining your background and attach that to your applications?  Universities aren't just looking for straight A students...they're looking for well-rounded people who want to learn and work hard.  You sound like you fit the bill!   :)

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 03:57:40 PM »
I think Lola has a good plan, though obviously you don't want to 'whinge' about it. As you posted here, in a matter of fact way, you can do that in an 'essay'. I would also reiterate my thought about contacting whatever dept you intend to study in. If you can make a friend there, you'll have their additional support.

Do you know what the minimum requirements are at your chosen unis (and your US equivalent?). Or, could you just literally start over and not even have your US college history included? It's more unusual, but you'd hardly be the first 'mature' student to start an undergrad degree here.

• my name is jonas
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 05:14:59 PM »
yeah, I don't care to have any of my former college credit counted and it would be ideal (though unethical) to just pretend like I never went in the first place.

My professor knows the head of the department at Westminster Uni in London.  I will see if he could make a call on my behalf and start calling the other departments myself tomorrow (hello 6:00 am!).

thanks for the encouragement...!
had a bit of a wobble.

Sponsored Links