Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS training  (Read 1512 times)

• Liked: 1
NHS training
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:34:23 PM »
Forgive me if this has been discussed before...

Has anyone, who is settled in the UK, applied for or finished a training programme with the NHS?  I have become quite interested in doing a speech and language therapy course which could technically be funded through the NHS, but am not sure if I am qualified.  On the NHS careers website they say...

'...applicant must have been ordinarily resident in the UK throughout the 3 years preceding commencement of your course, and have settled staus in the UK or be ordinarily a resident in any UK country by the fist day of the programme. '

What exactly do you suppose they mean by 'ordinarily resident?'  I have been living in the UK since August 2001 and would start the course in 2005.  I was also wondering about the type of money you could potentially get, without getting too personal.  Apparently it is based on your personal circumstances, but I was just wondering ball park figures.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Re: NHS training
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 09:07:28 PM »
HI glasgow...best of luck with your application....that is a good question i would like to know the same thing..maybe it is from when you had indefinite leave to remain?  it would probably be best to call the uni's registry office...let me know how you get on..
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 07:19:47 PM »
I'm starting my adult nursing training in September.  The bursary that I would have received was about £6,500 (+/-), however, I work at our local hospital and applied for a sponsorship, of which they granted 80%,,so it worked out to about £10,500 per year.  I don't know the differences with other programmes though.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 07:32:25 PM »
Right, basically what I found out is that you are able to receive free tuition and a bursery (how much depends on the course you are considering) after you have been living in the UK for 3 years and you have indefinate leave to remain by the start of the course. 

Unfortunately, this is still not enough for me to be able to afford it for the next 4 years, which is how long my course would run, but might be a great oppertunity for someone else.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 10:47:35 PM »
Ordinarily resident is one of those terms that tax offices and immigration offices like to use.  the Inland Revenue has a page on what it means, although the first bit is very confusing, the examples shed some light:
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/manuals/cbtmanual/CBTM10020.htm

Basically it describes residence of non-UK citizens or those people who have not regularly lived in the UK in the past.  It looks as though there's not a hard and fast rule but the gist of it is to decide whether a person who has moved to UK intends to stay resident or not.

Sorry, I can't help regarding whether the gov't will help pay for your training.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 06:17:24 AM »
Hi-- there are a couple of pointers here-- on the ordinarily resident point, if you are married to a UK citizen, this does not apply as you are given all of the same rights as your spouse under EU law.  Now, a lot of unis/training programmes don't know about or don't want to respond to this law, so it can take some persuasion.  I'll try to post the link tonight...

Also, a word of warning.  There can be problems getting into the programmes as an overseas student.  Many of the programmes just require GCSE's.  Obviously, as Americans we have High School diplomas.  When I applied to do midwifery last year, I was told I did not have the qualifications, even though I worked for the NHS and had a Bachelor's Degree (with excellent grades) in Public Health.  I was told I had to do an access course.  I had to really fight to get NMAS to release my application to the universities.  It is not always so difficult, but it is best to speak with the places you want to study to give them a head's up that you are applying and submit your application directly to them, if possible.
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab