Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UKY Ramblers  (Read 21296 times)

Re: UKY Ramblers
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochness/lochness.shtml

Tons of gorgeous walks. I've done probably 2/3 of the ones around Loch Ness, mostly the easy ones  ;D

Cheers!  I'll look at these next week when the dreaded papers are finished and pick one... probably a very easy one.  ;)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »
I walk the dunes when the weather is nice... does that count?

It counts!  Yay, with you and internet addict we're up to SIX!  ;D
doing laundry

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »
I'd like to walk in the Cheviot Hills this summer, but would have to drag DH to do it with me. Would anyone else like to come?  ;)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
I'm super excited because we are going to be up in the Loch Ness area over the bank holiday weekend and I intend to find a nice walk around the loch.

Get all limbered up for that 7-miler we're going to do at the last May bank holiday weekend...  ;) :D
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »
Get all limbered up for that 7-miler we're going to do at the last May bank holiday weekend...  ;) :D

Oh... we're walking it?  I only signed up because I thought it involved strong, muscular men carrying us around on litters.  I may have to rethink this.  ;)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
...I thought it involved strong, muscular men carrying us around on litters.

Steve and Chris?!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
Steve and Chris?!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Possibly not.  So, the men don't come with the litter?  Bummer.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
If it involves a pub and is relatively flat, I'm in!  ;D

• Jewlz

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 08:45:31 AM »
If it involves a pub and is relatively flat, I'm in!  ;D

I guess that leaves out the Cheviots.  :P I've wanted to do a walk around Hadrian's Wall for a while, too. Maybe I can manage to do one or the other this summer.  :)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »
I guess that leaves out the Cheviots.  :P I've wanted to do a walk around Hadrian's Wall for a while, too. Maybe I can manage to do one or the other this summer.  :)
Hubby and I looked up the Cheviots last night (you sparked my curiosity).  It looks lovely, but oh, so far away!  The Hadrian's wall thing we did March last year and I loved it!  I walked the most I ever walked in one day, I think!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Jewlz

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »
Hubby and I looked up the Cheviots last night (you sparked my curiosity).  It looks lovely, but oh, so far away!  The Hadrian's wall thing we did March last year and I loved it!  I walked the most I ever walked in one day, I think!

http://www.cheviotwalks.co.uk/

Just in case anyone else is curious...  ;)
I don't actually have any hiking boots, which would probably be a necessity for climbing around these hills. I'm not sure I should do it in my trainers. What do you more experienced people think? And where is a good place to get hiking boots or shoes here?

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 09:24:43 AM »
http://www.cheviotwalks.co.uk/

Just in case anyone else is curious...  ;)
I don't actually have any hiking boots, which would probably be a necessity for climbing around these hills. I'm not sure I should do it in my trainers. What do you more experienced people think? And where is a good place to get hiking boots or shoes here?

You should get a good pair of hiking boots!  It's the most important part of your outdoor kit as my hubby says!  Plus besides the safety and comfort factor of good boots you also have the waterproof factor (it's bound to rain at some point, and even dew will soak through regular trainers)--nothing worse than walking for hours with squishy wet socks 'n feet! 

Also, as Mrs. Robinson noted, you'll prob need boots one size up from your normal size to accomodate for walking down hill (so your toes don't crush up against the front.  Plus feet swell a bit when you've been walking.

Def find a good outdoor place to try on loads of different ones.  Also, I don't go in for those super-thick hiking socks--too hot, even in winter!  Good advice I got given once was to wear your normal socks when trying on boots and hiking in them.

I'm not so sure of brands, etc of boots in the UK--I bet Mrs. Robinson could help there, or my hubby when he comes home from work later.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »

I've walked along parts of Hadrian's wall.  I love it up there.

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »
I hiked the West Highalnd Way and regretted wearing hiking boots the whole time.

It depends on how confident you are.  I wouldn't recommend sneakers, but a pair of hiking type shoes might suit you better.

I did a lot of hiking on the AT in the US in PA and NH and the boots I used there are way overkill for the UK. 

I have a pair of Vasque Sundowners http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/7141-vasque/7141-vasque-womens-sundowner-gtx-burgandy and I love them, but I am planning on getting a pair of lighter weight lower coverage boots for the UK.

1 on your feet is like 10 on your back and all that.   I mean that sort of thing is needed in the Whites, but there are no trails in the UK that I have been on that would make me want to break those out again. 

I have been to Ben Nevis, but not Snowdonia.  But if you are just looking to walk, as opposed to hike or climb then I would go with a lighter options.  Also, they are easier to break in. 

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
If I had the money I would get a pair of White's.  Once again, not that I would need them here particularly, but it would be nice.

I really liked the Asolo pair I had before my Vasque's. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab