Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Govt. says mothers may not look after each other's children  (Read 6946 times)

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
UK: Govt. says mothers may not look after each other's children
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:12:57 PM »
More insane dictatorship from the government. 

Two working mothers have been banned from looking after each other's toddlers because they are not registered childminders.

The close friends' private arrangement had let them both return to part-time jobs at the same company.

However, a whistleblower reported them to the education watchdog Ofsted and it found their informal deal broke the law.

Continues:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1216220/Mothers-banned-looking-children.html
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
Re: UK: Govt. says mothers may not look after each other's children
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »
But...the children are friends so why wouldn't it just be considered one having the other over to play? 

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 03:25:57 PM »
But...the children are friends so why wouldn't it just be considered one having the other over to play? 

According to the article, this is why (and also why they say it's illegal):

This was because little-known rules say friends cannot gain a 'reward' by looking after a child for more than two hours outside the child's home without agreeing to a number of checks including one from the Criminal Records Bureau.

Although the mothers never paid each other, their job-sharing deal was judged to be a 'reward'. Campaigners fear thousands of working families could be innocently breaking the rules by relying on close friends for informal childcare.

Yes, it's still ridiculous...

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »
See it is ridiculous, but the glories of democracy mean that people have the right to protest any unfair law or regulation.  They have a petition going and the powers that be are looking at the meaning of the word "reward".

On one hand we can bemoan the stupidity of the person that reported these two women, and the stupidity of who ever interpreted "reward" as the two women helping out each other, but in the end I'm still happy to be a part of a nation that gives people a chance to change unfair laws.

I think the person that reported them should be smacked with a fine for reporting them personally.   
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:10:08 PM »
*sigh* so now the children are in daycare, when it probably was more beneficial for them to be playing in each other's homes getting one-on-two attention from one of the mums!
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:12:21 PM »
Can they just both get "checked out" and legally become childminders? That way they could continue? Of course, i have no idea what is involved in that. THough, I would guess the cost would ultimately be less than daycare.
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
How ridiculous.  I was just thinking that an arrangement like this would be great if I had a friend with similar interests etc.  No constant snotty noses from nursery, not 3/4 of my paycheck going to childcare fees, peace of mind that my child is being looked after by someone who cares for her and looks after her in a similar manner to me.  I hope the petition makes a difference.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 05:52:43 PM »
Can they just both get "checked out" and legally become childminders? That way they could continue? Of course, i have no idea what is involved in that. THough, I would guess the cost would ultimately be less than daycare.

That would seem the obvious solution to me too.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
I understand the need to have someone checked out if they're going to take strangers' children into their home in exchange for money, but I don't see the need for a background check for two parents who are friends and doing each other a favor by taking care of each others' kids, even if it's on a regular basis.  Applying the law to this sort of situation is dumb.

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
I guess the major issue here is the loose interpretation of the word 'reward'.  If I ask my mother-in-law to watch my daughter while me and my husband go out on a date, is this not a 'reward' for us?  So I can't have my own family watch my own child without being inspected and approved by social services first? 

The women technically were getting a monetary gain from this because it allowed them to work and get paid...without paying a babysitter.  Is that now the determining factor as to whether or not it is a 'reward' (monetary gain)?

This is ridiculous regardless and what kind of person reports this to authorities?  Someone who is jealous because they don't have friends to babysit for free...

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »

This is ridiculous regardless and what kind of person reports this to authorities?  Someone who is jealous because they don't have friends to babysit for free...

I'm thinking it was a jealous co-worker of some sort.
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 08:18:18 PM »
I guess the major issue here is the loose interpretation of the word 'reward'.  If I ask my mother-in-law to watch my daughter while me and my husband go out on a date, is this not a 'reward' for us?  So I can't have my own family watch my own child without being inspected and approved by social services first? 

The women technically were getting a monetary gain from this because it allowed them to work and get paid...without paying a babysitter.  Is that now the determining factor as to whether or not it is a 'reward' (monetary gain)?

Well, technically, you could have your MIL watch your child, because these rules don't apply to family members...

The other way to get around it would have been for the mother doing the babysitting to drag her kid to the other kid's house so that the other kid would be in her own home...

I too am happy to hear about a petition and hope someone comes up with a different interpretation for 'reward' - bartering has been around for a long time...

UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 10:10:57 PM »
I'm still happy to be a part of a nation that gives people a chance to change unfair laws.

But how sad that we're part of a nation which now has such dictatorial government that such a law could ever have been passed in the first place.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »
But how sad that we're part of a nation which now has such dictatorial government that such a law could ever have been passed in the first place.

What law are you talking about?  That child minders need to be registered?  That's a good thing. This case is not a good thing, but child minders needing to be registered and inspected is.

• Banned

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »
How ridiculous this is!! When I read stories like these, it makes me grateful that my kids are mostly grown!!

This same thing is happening in Michigan btw, but thank goodness the powers that be realize how stupid this is and are trying to change it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090930/ap_on_re_us/us_baby_sitter_backlash_mich
We are a nation that has a government -- not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the earth. Our government has no power except that granted to it by the people. It is time to check and reverse the growth of government, which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed.
Ronald Reagan

�In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.� - Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab