Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Norway: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize  (Read 7310 times)

Re: Norway: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »
Side note: Fox news really gets under your skin, don't they? ;)

That must mean they're doing their job, amirite?

I mean, Tykeman's a Brit, so he probably doesn't feel appalled and embarrassed when someone like Glenn Beck gets shown here as an example of what Americans watch for their news.  But as a Brit, it's not like they lack their own [crappy media personalities] in print or broadcast form.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:02:53 PM by Legs Akimbo »

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »
Strikely speaking in terms of Nobel Peace Prize terms ("for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples")...why was Obama's 2 weeks in office (the amount of time he was in office when the nominations were due) considered any better of an effort than the 5-7 years Bush spent trying to dispell Al Quada, bring down Saddam Hussein, disarm countries with nuclear weapons, etc?

And I'm saying this as a person who likes Obama and did not like Bush.

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »
I think that, perhaps, they were not just looking at the two weeks he had in office (and, I think, that though the nominations were in, the voting came later in the year? Although I could be wrong).  The reference to his "bringing together" of people could refer to the year long presidential campaign, a bit.  Although it was largely America-centric, the rhetoric he used and the emotions he inspired had world-wide implications.  Granted, he hasn't (besides getting rid of the missle defense in Europe business) necessarily got a lot of concrete accomplishments to point to, but I believe that this award was at least partially about inspiring others and changing international discourse.
Whether that is enough to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize, I'm not sure, but I do think that a lot of this was about how the discourse was changed and what that could mean for the world as a whole.  At least for my family, it wasn't that long ago when we were talking about "when" Bush was going to invade Iran, not "if".  Now, it feels like a step has been taken away from war?

Sorry so dis-organized.

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »
It's a mystery. I think the nomination has more to do with 'anyone but Bush' then it does to do with Obama.

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 01:26:56 PM »
I'm really pleased for him. I understand why it's controversial but I think the committee honestly chose him not for political reasons (because they are fiercely independant) but because they see effort he's putting in in trying to bring the international community together. I really hope he can keep it up.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »
Why? ? ?

That seems really premature. How are they going to feel when Obama takes us into Iran? That is a strong possibility, like it or not.

ETA Me thinks the MODS will have a fun time watching this thread.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »
I think that, perhaps, they were not just looking at the two weeks he had in office (and, I think, that though the nominations were in, the voting came later in the year?

How can you even justify that he was worthy of a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize after only 2 weeks in office?  Yes he inspired some people (and as I mentioned, I actually like him!)...but is that the qualification for the Nobel Peace Prize...to inspire a few people during a presidential election campaign?  I'm sorry but I can't see how he was more qualified to receive this award than the other 200something nominees.  Yes, he has done some good stuff, but you honestly think he is right up there with the likes of Nelson Mandela, The Dalai Lama, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King Jr?  In all honesty, seeing some of the people who have won this award in the past has really cheapened the meaning of it for me anyway.

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »
How can you even justify that he was worthy of a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize after only 2 weeks in office?  Yes he inspired some people (and as I mentioned, I actually like him!)...but is that the qualification for the Nobel Peace Prize...to inspire a few people during a presidential election campaign?  I'm sorry but I can't see how he was more qualified to receive this award than the other 200something nominees.  Yes, he has done some good stuff, but you honestly think he is right up there with the likes of Nelson Mandela, The Dalai Lama, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King Jr?  In all honesty, seeing some of the people who have won this award in the past has really cheapened the meaning of it for me anyway.

What I was trying to say was that it wasn't his two weeks in office that garnered him the nomination.  And, although I am as surprised by this as anyone, I don't think it's fair to discount the enormous impact he had while on the campaign trail.  Really, I wish they had held off, (and I imagine that Obama may wish that as well--who wants to be give such a prestigious award in a way that makes it seem bizarre and surprising), but I was trying to emphasize that committee themselves said it was NOT for a particular act, but for a change in the world discourse.
I know that there were others who deserved it more, but I don't think I was trying to justify that he had done anything, rather that the award was given explicitly under a different criteria.

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 02:13:57 PM »
What I was trying to say was that it wasn't his two weeks in office that garnered him the nomination. 

My point was that I don't think anything he had done at that point in time (or even now) should qualify him for even a nomination...much less to actually win the award.  Then again, the fact that Hilter, Stalin and Mussolini were past nominees says something.  And yes there is a very broad range of "criteria" to be awarded the Prize...which is why it has always been controversial. 

Really, I wish they had held off, (and I imagine that Obama may wish that as well--who wants to be give such a prestigious award in a way that makes it seem bizarre and surprising)

I agree with this completely, and I suspect this is why the White House has not made a comment on the award as of yet.  I like Obama a lot and this might have been a great accomplishment for him in a few years.  At this point in time, I think it is just going to add fuel to fire.

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »

Fully agree. I like the guy but ... for his efforts "to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." Isn't that his job? Don't most elected leaders of the world strive for this?

Like I said he may be forced to take us into Iran, he isn't going to get rid of nuclear arms and I doubt he is going to resolve the middle east problem.

In my opinon there were a lot more deserving nominees.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
why was Obama's 2 weeks in office (the amount of time he was in office when the nominations were due) considered any better of an effort than the 5-7 years Bush spent trying to dispell Al Quada, bring down Saddam Hussein, disarm countries with nuclear weapons, etc?

Um, because they did those things by restricting civil liberties, bombing and invading sovereign countries and using sanctions? Not really peaceful.

I don't really understand this award, but then, the Nobel Peace Prize lost all credibility when Henry Kissinger got it.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
There are murmurings that he may not accept it anyway. From what I'm reading, the White House had no idea this was in the offing. Read Tomasky's article in The Guardian - he won't be the only pro-Obama journo writing something along those lines.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »
It's quite a shame to have put the guy in this predicament. Did they not think before making the decision?

I don't really understand this award, but then, the Nobel Peace Prize lost all credibility when Henry Kissinger got it.

DITTO BIG TIME

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
After seeing the press conference from Norway...and hearing Obama's acceptance speech...I still can't say that I (personally) think he deserves the award, but I can at least understand the intention behind it a little bit better.  And I think Obama did a very gracious job of *not* accepting the award personally, but accepting on behalf of the American people.   ;D

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
Add me to the list of people who voted for Obama and would vote for him again right now, who is at least puzzled by this award.

To me, at least, there does seem to be a whiff of "This year's Nobel Preace Prize goes to NotBush!" about it.

I understand that the prize is partially meant to encourage future action, but still...

And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab