Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Norway: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize  (Read 7311 times)

• Liked: 31
Re: Norway: Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »
Re: Pakistan, they may need help but can we afford it and why do we have to be the ones to foot the bill?

Well, since we're the ones who destabilised the region by invading Afghanistan and by extension pushing the Taliban into that part of Pakistan, I think we do owe them a bit of help, yeah.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
Well, since we're the ones who destabilised the region by invading Afghanistan and by extension pushing the Taliban into that part of Pakistan, I think we do owe them a bit of help, yeah.
I agree somewhat but I would not say we destabilised that area. What were the Soviets doing before we got involved? I think their invasion helped to destabilise the area. But if we help, could they not then get pushed into India? Where does our responsibility stop?

Were the Taliban not accepted and recognised by Pakistan? Did Pakistan not help the Taliban in the past? Did the Taliban not originate in Afghanistan and parts of Pakistan?
I just feel like the Taliban were involved with Pakistan long before we got involved. Yea no doubt we probably did help fund it during the Soviet invasion. Perhaps Russia should help as they are part to blame.

My memory's not so good regarding the past down in that neck of the woods so my opinion may be a bit skewed.

I don't know but I feel we should cut our loses and get the hell out of there and quit meddling. Let that region of the world sort themselves out. Nobody's gonna come and say 'thanks USA, ya done good'.

Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
There's never been a time when the US hasn't been either interventionist, expansionist, or imperialist.  The wars during the early part of its history shouldn't be romanticised as a peaceful country having its hand forced into its many conflicts.  I suppose you could don those rose coloured glasses if you totally dismiss the First Peoples as stateless and ignore the amount of times we got involved in war to protect commercial interests rather than our national sovereignty.

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »
And there is a heck of a lot of sabre rattling at a sovereign nation called Iran who merely want nuclear weapons because Israel has them. 

Lets not forget Iran merely calls for Israel to be wiped off the map weekly.

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 03:47:48 PM »
Just to through a monkey wrench in:

Is it America's job to save the world?  Is it American taxpayers jobs to fund the projects to save the world?

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »
Just to through a monkey wrench in:

Is it America's job to save the world?  Is it American taxpayers jobs to fund the projects to save the world?

No and no. Help maybe but not off our own backs.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2009, 10:07:12 AM »
Lets not forget Iran merely calls for Israel to be wiped off the map weekly.

I'm not Israeli.  I'm American.  Why should I care about Israel's security?  Iran is Israel's problem.  And Israel has nukes so if Iran were to attack them, they do so at their own peril.
Democrats and Republicans - fiddling while Rome burns.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »
I'm not Israeli.  I'm American.  Why should I care about Israel's security?  Iran is Israel's problem.  And Israel has nukes so if Iran were to attack them, they do so at their own peril.

A nuclear exchange between Iran and Israel puts the U.S. and the entire whole world in peril, because if it were to happen, there would be a massive disruption in the flow of oil and the world economy, which is still in a fragile state, would collapse. I understand that you’d prefer that the US be less interventionist, but do you really think the country would be unaffected if something like this were to happen?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab