Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Manchester airport trials naked-image security scans  (Read 3888 times)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Re: UK: Manchester airport trials naked-image security scans
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
In theory...

Easy to say that until you see your naked black and white image on the internet.

But see, I'd welcome that because then you could sue for breach of privacy. I need the money. ;)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »
Quote from: Ms Mort if You're Nasty on October 13, 2009, 02:11:45 PM

...and?

and what?  ???
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »
and what?  ???

...and what if it does make it out? You think its identifiable?
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »
Quote from: Ms Mort if You're Nasty on October 13, 2009, 03:11:59 PM

That's what I was thinking, too. Especially since your name wouldn't be attached to it.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 03:35:36 PM »
Quote from: Ms Mort if You're Nasty on October 13, 2009, 03:11:59 PM

Judging by the images in the article, yes.

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 03:40:32 PM »
First off I don't see how you can compare a pat-down to a nude x-ray.  If you have a choice, and a bomb shoved up your bum, obviously you are going to choose the pat-down (where the bomb shoved up your bum will not be detected).  So I'm at a loss for how this would be effective at this point anyway. 

Secondly, I don't care if my image is identifiable or not...I don't want anyone looking at me naked, full stop.  And to be frank, I think the image is pretty identifiable.  If the x-ray can outline your genitals and booty crack through your clothes, why would your exposed face not be identifiable (at least to some extent)?  I bet your hubby could pick you out of a line-up.  I'm all for security and keeping bombs off the streets and all that good jazz, but still...

I guess the next step is full body cavity searches for everyone...YAY!

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »

[smiley=idea2.gif]  Why not, at least in the UK, have a qualified doctor perform the cavity search and kill two birds with one stone? (well for the over 50 men at least)

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »
First off I don't see how you can compare a pat-down to a nude x-ray.  If you have a choice, and a bomb shoved up your bum, obviously you are going to choose the pat-down (where the bomb shoved up your bum will not be detected).  So I'm at a loss for how this would be effective at this point anyway. 

*ding*ding*ding* and the prize goes to Mistress Tarnlover, I was thinking the same thing... though I suspect the pat-down will be phased out when people become comfortable with the lose of their right to privacy.  I wonder how this would hold up in the courts, not sure about the UK, but I wonder if there are suits in the US regarding these machines.

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »
*ding*ding*ding* and the prize goes to Mistress Tarnlover, I was thinking the same thing... though I suspect the pat-down will be phased out when people become comfortable with the lose of their right to privacy.  I wonder how this would hold up in the courts, not sure about the UK, but I wonder if there are suits in the US regarding these machines.

I doubt it. The US doesn't really care about civil liberties (or at least that is my impression when I speak to friends and family back in the states) What? How dare anyone question National Security.

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »
I seem to be in the minority here, but...I couldn't really care less if some random security dude that I'm never going to see again sees me "naked" through my clothes, especially if it means that I don't have to take off my belt, jacket, and shoes and then get patted down anyway when the metal detector inevitably pings the underwire in my bra.  ::)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »
I seem to be in the minority here, but...I couldn't really care less if some random security dude that I'm never going to see again sees me "naked" through my clothes, especially if it means that I don't have to take off my belt, jacket, and shoes and then get patted down anyway when the metal detector inevitably pings the underwire in my bra.  ::)

I'm with you on this one. Especially the not having to remove any clothes bit. I find that part annoying.

And I've had another look at these photos they've got online and I don't see how you could recognise someone. All you can see is the basic outlines of the body. The face doesn't really have any true definition.

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/airport_xray_scanner.jpg

You can't see what freckles or moles this person has. Or know what colour skin she has. You don't know what style of hair she has, or on a more personal note, whether she even has any pubic hair. All you can see is that she has breasts and really the only kind of person interested in something so vague like that are adolescent boys. And they'll get excited over anything.

Anyways, give it a few more years and we'll have scanners like they did in Total Recall where all you can see is a skeleton and a couple of guns hanging off it.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 11:18:06 PM »
I'm with you on this one. Especially the not having to remove any clothes bit. I find that part annoying.

And I've had another look at these photos they've got online and I don't see how you could recognise someone. All you can see is the basic outlines of the body. The face doesn't really have any true definition.

http://www.boston.com/travel/blog/airport_xray_scanner.jpg

You can't see what freckles or moles this person has. Or know what colour skin she has. You don't know what style of hair she has, or on a more personal note, whether she even has any pubic hair. All you can see is that she has breasts and really the only kind of person interested in something so vague like that are adolescent boys. And they'll get excited over anything.

Anyways, give it a few more years and we'll have scanners like they did in Total Recall where all you can see is a skeleton and a couple of guns hanging off it.

Unfortunately, as sick as it is, adolescent boys are *not* the only ones who would get excited by that.  The recognition of face, freckles, etc. is not really as worrysome to me as the genitals and other private areas.  The details of the man were very recognizable to me...and it's possible those images have even been censored (you can tell the lighting is a lot different on the front and back pics) in order to prevent posting graphic nudity.  I'd rather take off my belt (which I don't wear when I'm travelling to avoid hassle), my jacket (which I don't wear when I'm travelling to avoid hassle and if I have to take one I shove it in my carry-on before going through security) and my shoes (which you have to take off and scan through the x-rays at a lot of airports anyway).  Luckily this is just a useless (as far as security goes) option right now and we aren't be forced to expose ourselves....yet.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »
I bet your hubby could pick you out of a line-up. 

Your husband, sure, but not some random person who sees the image.

I'm with you too. I just don't see the big deal in someone seeing me "naked" via a scanner.

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 01:34:38 AM »
Oh my...

Sponsored Links