Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NEW BOARD FOR PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES/SPECIAL NEEDS  (Read 18989 times)

• Liked: 2
A new, private, board has been created called Additional Needs Parenting, specifically for parents and carers of children with disabilities or any additional or special needs. We also welcome input from professionals in this area, such as medical staff, therapists,  social workers, teachers or anyone else with experience of working with children with special needs. We would like this board to be a safe space for parents and carers to discuss all aspects  of caring for children with disabilities or additional needs.

To gain access to the board you will need to PM myself or Stacey with your request, stating whether you wish to join as a parent/carer or a professional.

In requesting access, you are agreeing to abide by the rules of the board which are:

1. Anything posted on the board is strictly confidential. Members agree not to discuss other members' concerns outside the board without first obtaining the permission of the member concerned;

2. Snarky and judgemental comments are strictly NOT ALLOWED.

You should also be aware that all UK Yankee moderators have access to the board.

We hope this board will be a helpful resource to those who use it.

• Liked: 6
Re: NEW BOARD FOR PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES/SPECIAL NEEDS
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:20:22 PM »
I just had to say I think this is a wonderful idea.  Kudos to whoever thought of it!
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »
It was Liz's idea and it's a great one. Thanks Liz!

Maybe a thread for introductions and what we are dealing with with our children would be a good idea?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:56:49 PM »
Thank you Liz, it is a wonderful idea!  Since all of the moderators have access, I'm assuming that they will abide by the confidentiality agreement as well.  Am I correct in thinking this?

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:57:58 PM »
Am I correct in thinking this?

Of course.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Of course.
Thank you, I just wanted to make sure.   :)

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »
As a disabled social worker who has worked extensively with disabled children and adults, this sounds really brilliant. Perhaps disabled parents could be included on this new board?

I would suggest that some really useful links for the UK are:

http://www.disabledparentsnetwork.org.uk/cgi-bin/site/site.cgi

http://www.dialuk.info/

http://www.ncil.org.uk/default.asp

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »
Thanks for that mapleleafgirl, I'm sending you a PM.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
I don't really know how this works, but my husband is thinking about taking a job in London, and I am concerned about finding a school for my preschooler with a disability...is this a good place to find parents who might be able to refer me to some resources?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »
Fantastic idea--I second the thought of adults with special needs being able to access it themselves too--it's a topic that does come up often on the board, and it would be nice to have a safe place to discuss concerns and resources.  -just my 2p.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:51:11 PM »
Hi all, just to let you know, anyone wanting access to the board needs to contact balmerhon or petunia who are now mods for this board.

Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »
Hi, I am new to the board and would like to join this group since we are a family with two special needs children who will be moving to London early 2013. When I try to send a PM, the website tells me "your not allowed to send personal messages". How can I join?

• Liked: 6
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
Hi JoCon,

I have sent the request for you to be added the Special Needs Parenting board, and I will send you a message once it's done :)  I think you need to have a minimum number of posts in order to send personal messages.  Welcome to UKY :)

The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Liked: 7
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »
I may be in the wrong place here so forgive me in advance if I am:

I am a teacher of children with special needs (in the US) and will be moving to the UK next spring: I don't know anything about the special education system in the UK and was wondering if my degree and skill set will transfer to the UK and how easy/hard it is to get find teaching jobs in special education.  Is the UK mainstreaming like what is Trending in the US.

Thanks for any replies or suggestions on where I can look.

Robin
24 April 13 - Married
29 April 13 - overnight Spouse Visa app. to NYC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab