Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How To Walk Down the Street.  (Read 28814 times)

How To Walk Down the Street.
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:28 AM »
There is evidently a need for this post so here goes.

First of all there are a few basic things that you HAVE to remember:
1. We're not in Kansas anymore.  All the rules of walking down the street that you know don't apply here so you have to let them go.
2. You HAVE to weave.  If you don't you will feel pain.
3.  Rules for groups and buggies are slightly different and the obligation is more for YOU to be the weaver.  You can refuse, but again you will feel pain.
4.  It is more crowded here and pavements are narrower.
5.  Rules do not apply on Oxford Street where there are just too many tourists operating by their own rules.  It's every man for himself.

So, first of all we were all socialized to walk down one side of the sidewalk.  When there's no room for a separate side we learned to each take a step to the right a few feet before we actually meet thus avoiding collision.
The rules are different here.  
1. First of all when walking keep an eye on people coming at you at least 20 feet away (when in a busy town this would be about 5 feet away).  
2. Don't make eye contact.  
3. At this point(20 feet or 5 feet) start to veer very slightly to the left.  Your opponent will make the same move.  You are not making a step to the left but are instead altering your path very very slightly.  
4. Now right as you are about to meet (a few feet or a few inches if it's busy) tuck your right should in.  Your opponent should do the same.  You will miss each other very very slightly.  
5. Carry on.

When meeting groups you have three options -1. use the same method you use when meeting an individual and hope the end person is playing along.  2. Stand in one place and hold your ground (never works) or 3.  Do a complete sidestep while muttering under your breath.

Old people and buggies:  have the right of way and are not expected (and will not veer).  Side step them completely.
If you are pushing the buggy refuse to give way.  You are in the right.  Unless it's an old person.  Then you must veer as far over as you can and let them pass.

Good luck, people.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:56:02 AM by Mindy »

Re: How To Walk Down the Street.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »
I LOVE this!!! Thank you!

Funny thing, I've always said the same about elderly, they trump EVERYONE!!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:01:40 AM »
I LOVE this!!! Thank you!

Funny thing, I've always said the same about elderly, they trump EVERYONE!!

Love it.  Within the first month I was here, I'd been taken to task by an elderly man about how "the old always get to walk straight!".  Of course, he was drunk as a skunk and weaving all over the place, but I still yielded. Obviously.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:22:57 AM »
Love it Mindy!  My husband and I got a good laugh out of this this morning.   :)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:52 AM »
;D
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:57:55 AM »
I was wondering if someone would really start a new topic on this!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:58:13 AM »
LOL...hilarious Mindy.  Now I just need to print this out and hand it round town so all the British people where I live will learn to do this.  I swear they purposely move to make sure they hit me.  

Any advice for children?  I almost got into about 4 fist fights will trying to grocery shop at ASDA because grown people where trying to trample right over top of my little pint-sized princess...granted she's not much shorter than me...lol.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »
I do think this is The.Best.Post.Ever.  Great job, Mindy!  ;D

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
  Now I just need to print this out and hand it round town so all the British people where I live will learn to do this.  I swear they purposely move to make sure they hit me. 

I promise if you follow these rules you'll find that other people tend to too.

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »
I promise if you follow these rules you'll find that other people tend to too.

I'll definitely give it a try!!  It's a bit more complicated in our village because the sidewalks in some places (and all the bridleways) are only big enough for one person to walk on.   :(  So instead of a shoulder bump showdown...we have a "who's going to step off the sidewalk and into the middle of the road or mud" showdown. 

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
5.  Rules do not apply on Oxford Street where there are just too many tourists operating by their own rules.  It's every man for himself.

Hee!  I am an expert weaver (just ask DH), but even Oxford Street was too much for me to handle.  It's insane!

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »
ah but what about when it's bin collection day?  how does that impact?  ;)

I had to laugh earlier, Jean said "scuse me".  Think she's just heard me say it a bazillion times when idiots don't get out of the way of her pushchair.
Maroon Passport Club!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »
 [smiley=laugh4.gif]

My favorite is the "oh so in love" couple who must hold hands in spite of the sidewalk being only wide enough for two.  I'm tempted to walk straight through their arms, breaking them apart like in the "Red Rover" game from my childhood.  But I don't.  I step into the street and walk around them instead.
doing laundry

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 05:25:43 PM »
[smiley=laugh4.gif]

My favorite is the "oh so in love" couple who must hold hands in spite of the sidewalk being only wide enough for two.  I'm tempted to walk straight through their arms, breaking them apart like in the "Red Rover" game from my childhood.  But I don't.  I step into the street and walk around them instead.

This drives me crazy too!  Ugghhh, so rude!

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
Amazing post!

The thing I hate the most is when people stop dead in their tracks in the middle of the pavement. Similar to people who stop at the bottom of an escalator.  >:( Move!!!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab