Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How To Walk Down the Street.  (Read 28809 times)

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: How To Walk Down the Street.
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
This is an awesome thread.  I must admit that I do occasionally pause at the top (and bottom) of escalators because I have mild vertigo, and I take a second to readjust to the *new* location. That said, I am totally aware of the people behind me and often take at least one step ahead and to the side as quickly as I can. (the escalators in the London Underground are a surreal experience for me...)

I personally get a bit annoyed at people who hang around on the kerb when the cross-walk sign is green.  Are you going? Go! If not, move out of the way of people who are!

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 09:00:56 PM »
Right?!

Your mention of the travel card issue reminded me of the rage I feel every time I fly, I want to lose it on the people in the security line that have no clue that they need to take off their coat, empty their pockets, remove their laptops, take off their shoes, have their liquids under 100 ml in a baggie, or not have bottles of water!! Then... they slowly put their belt back on, reload their carry on, put their shoes back on and attempt to find their boarding card, while holding up the entire line.  >:(

Did I mention, I love this thread!  :)

I KNOW!!!

Someone on this forum once said 'i heard there were restrictions'... the restrictions have been in place since... years!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
I find there's always a husband and wife having the same argument in the check in line the wife is going "they're telling those people to take the shoes off, you should take your shoes off Ray" and the guy is going "okay,sure" and not doing anything so it goes on and on "RAY, RAY take your shoes off RAY"

[smiley=laugh4.gif]  So true.  Airline security could fill another whole thread.
doing laundry

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »
Between the pavements, the buses, the escalators, the Oyster cards ... yeesh! This thread is making me so very happy not to live in London.  :-X
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 04:44:24 AM »
Between the pavements, the buses, the escalators, the Oyster cards ... yeesh! This thread is making me so very happy not to live in London.  :-X

LOL!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »

Me too!  :)

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2009, 10:23:15 AM »
Does this thread remind anyone else of a two-player fighting game? Pavement, Round two: FIGHT!
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
Rynn thanks for putting a caution with my suggestion lol...I am sorry that you get accosted...I just move quickly so they can't touch me hehe
This is a great thread
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »

It's only rubbish when you're trying to get anywhere, once you're there it's great  ;D (mostly, except when I'm on my way to work :( ) :D

If I could I'd get a job by the river and take the commuter boat every day - I'd be such a blissed out person! :D

• Liked: 4
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
It's only rubbish when you're trying to get anywhere, once you're there it's great  ;D (mostly, except when I'm on my way to work :( ) :D

If I could I'd get a job by the river and take the commuter boat every day - I'd be such a blissed out person! :D

I knew people who did that at my office and it sounded so nice!

I used to walk to work...I made it a requirement I was not going to commute by Tube.  I think I liked London a heck of a lot more because of it.

• Blog
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2009, 08:58:32 AM »
Definitely a great post. Whenever I take the train or the mini-tube (ok, so it's really only a model here in Glasgow ^_^), I try to place myself as close as possible to the door that will be closest to the stairs at my exit so that I can run up the stairs faster than the people can get off the train. I loathe slow-moving people (except for the people expected to be slower such as elderly, 8-month-pregnant moms with a pram, etc) and it's better for my sanity to avoid that as much as possible. I actually dislike going shopping when there's a crowd because, in my pessimistic outlook, there are going to be hundreds of slow-moving people who stop and chat in the middle of an aisle--if not at the intersection of two.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2009, 01:55:10 AM »

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »
Thanks for the link to the blog it's hilarious. :)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
Right?!

Your mention of the travel card issue reminded me of the rage I feel every time I fly, I want to lose it on the people in the security line that have no clue that they need to take off their coat, empty their pockets, remove their laptops, take off their shoes, have their liquids under 100 ml in a baggie, or not have bottles of water!! Then... they slowly put their belt back on, reload their carry on, put their shoes back on and attempt to find their boarding card, while holding up the entire line.  >:(

Did I mention, I love this thread!  :)

I do that on purpose with my shoes because it's such a ridiculous regulation. And it's always worse with the surly US officials as well.
And why is there a lack of chairs the other side so you can sit down to put your shoes back on?

Also I think it's down to them making up what they want you to do - sometimes they want the belt off, other times they don't.
At Heathrow on our last trip the security guy was telling some people to leave their shoes on and others to take them off! At this point I thought they were profilling as I'd noticed it was Asian/Middle Eastern looking people he was asking to take shoes off but that theory went when he asked me to take mine off!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:21 PM »
Oh my god I love this.  It drives me bonkers that pedestrians don't walk on the left like we would walk on the right in the US.  I always stand my ground on the left (except for of course buggies and OAPs).

Sponsored Links