Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Safeway  (Read 2478 times)

Safeway
« on: July 29, 2004, 10:16:22 AM »
Does anyone shop at Safeway? I used to when I first moved here because it was the closest grocery store to my house but when I discovered ASDA and Tesco where a lot cheaper I started to use those stores instead. But yesterday I was in a hurry and went back to Safeway and found their prices to be a LOT cheaper than before. I think since they were bought out by Morrisons they lowered their prices. Also they have a lot of two for one deals like Morrisons has. The good thing is that I dont think a lot of people know Safeway has lowered their prices so the store was totally empty! I hate the battle I have to endure at ASDA and Tesco. I am a Safeway shopper now!
By the way Safeway has 3 bottles of Heinz catchup for just £2.00 this week!
Pebs

Re: Safeway
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:28:39 AM »
 I have been shopping at Safeway for the last three months. Found..like you...that they had lowered their prices. So far haven't found any Safeway products we don't like.
There is a Safeway in Strood...its not the best Safeway store to shop at. I unusually go to one in Rainham,its a bigger super store type. They do have the Morrison Shopping bags.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 11:54:33 AM by bluerose »

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 10:30:30 AM »
Our local Safeway is a garage type one, so I doubt very much that the  prices will fall there.  I have noticed that they now have Morrison's carrier bags.   

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 11:04:52 AM »
I've only shopped at Safeway once, the one in our location isn't exactly convenient for our lifestyle.  I only remember being impressed with their selection of beers... ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 03:04:09 PM »
Our local Safeway just opened as Morrisons today. My husband went inside to say what a rat race it was. He said many people were just elaning on their empty carts complianing that everything had been moved and prices were raised...People will complain abbout anything! It's a new store and it's not going to be the same as Safeway..In the meantime we have discovered Tescos and what a price difference!

• Chap with the wings there...five rounds rapid
    • Kinkamono Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 03:07:53 PM »
I don't go into Morrisons or Safeway any more. Full of bloody poor people!!

;D

Oh it's a joke. (But I still shop at Tesco)
Davros: Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe! The Dalek!!

Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 03:10:59 PM »
(But I still shop at Tesco)

After three years of playing musical groceries with Tesco, I've quit shopping there.  Our local Sainsburys moves the groceries around a lot less often.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 03:32:37 PM »
Morrisons is by far the best supermarket in my not so humble opinion,although some of the Safeway conversions are not quite up to par yet.
Morrisons is worth going to just for the fresh veg & fruit,and they do excellent collar bacon for about £1.50 a pack.Also for anyone with problem hair,try the Apple & Cucumber shampoo @69p for 750 mil.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 06:23:19 PM »
I was impressed with my new Morrisons...  until today.

This is a Morrisons which was formerly a Safeway, and it has a Post Office in it, which was open from 8am to 7pm... even on Saturday & Sunday!!
As an avid E-bay seller, this was a lifesaver for me.   ;)

But today, a notice appeared that the post office is closing.  I asked the manager about it, and he said that Morrisons do not want to have a post office in there, and are putting a cake shop in that space instead!   >:(   >:( 

I'm really unhappy about this... I can't describe how much inconvenience this is going to cause me. 

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 05:37:29 PM »
Reading up on the takeover,it seems Morrisons are in a spot of bother with the stores they took over.It seems Safeway hiked their prices in the months prior to the sale to make their stock books look good,which meant a lot of customers left,now Morrisons are having to cut prices to get them back and the Safeway stores are running at a 9% loss.As Morrisons probably dont make anything from the POs maybe thats why they're closing them.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 08:35:49 PM »
Im sure you're right... i wasnt really questioning WHY it was happening.
Just stating that i'm not happy about it, and because of that, I wont be shopping in Morrisons anymore.

I'm sure they wont miss me... I'm not exactly a huge spender!  ;)

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 08:37:24 PM »
All our local post offices still close for LUNCH!  It's 2004 people. 

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 10:57:32 AM »
I love Safeways and hope the changeover to Morrisons doesn't change the stuff I like about it. I was very excited yesterday when I discovered they are now selling Monterrey Jack cheese in the deli section. Ok, it doesn't take much for me to get excited but that was great to find. Had nachos last night because of it.

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 11:15:11 AM »
Safeways did raise their prices and people left. The local Safeways is in mid-conversion here, and not  a terribly succesful one. The Morrison's fruit and veg packages are there, and they're much cheaper. But the things that made Safeways distinctive seem to be in a state of chaos and a bit depressing. There are sections of the store that feel badly stocked and dingy. I'm worried because Safeways was the one chain that had a wider variety of US micro-beers, and it was the only place that I knew that stocked Sam Adams lager, Brooklyn lager (but not, alas, the Brooklyn Brown), Sierra Nevada, and Anchor Steam.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 03:53:01 PM by lightbulb »

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 01:06:05 PM »
Morrisons is by far the best supermarket in my not so humble opinion,

Dave

Amen brother. It's the only place we shop. The buy one get one free deals they have are awesome and the Morrisons brand stuff is tasty, unlike some supermarkets.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab