Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things that gross you out  (Read 16406 times)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: Things that gross you out
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Something that makes me shudder is when a person (perhaps of the British persuasion?) is eating eggs for breakfast and breaks open the yolk and dips their toast into it.  I don't know why but I just can't watch. And then mopping up the plate with bread or toast. [smiley=sick.gif]
I've seen that loads of times in the US.  Maybe eggs just gross you out in general?  As a child I was totally freaked out by eggs with runny yolks like sunny-side up eggs, etc.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
Something that makes me shudder is when a person (perhaps of the British persuasion?) is eating eggs for breakfast and breaks open the yolk and dips their toast into it.  I don't know why but I just can't watch. And then mopping up the plate with bread or toast. [smiley=sick.gif]

I do this and I'm not British...but I can top that.

My father (who is American) takes a small stack of pancakes butters them, puts 2 fried eggs on top and then pours maple syrup on it. His reasoning, it all goes to the same place anyway :-\\\\.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 05:57:46 PM »

That's how we always eat eggs in my family (unless they're scrambled)! We call them 'dippy eggs'! My dad makes the best!  :D

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 06:31:51 PM »
That's how we always eat eggs in my family (unless they're scrambled)! We call them 'dippy eggs'! My dad makes the best!  :D

Mmmmmm! Dippy eggs! We just bought egg cups and are making some this weekend!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 06:39:35 PM »

Mmmmmm! Dippy eggs! We just bought egg cups and are making some this weekend!

Oh, ours are fried eggs. They're flipped too so they're cooked on both sides. Then you peel them open and dip your toast in the yolk! Yum-my!

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »
Personally, I don't think it's too gross (unless they get re-used out of the sink!), but maybe others do because it gets cold and leaves a brown stain, then dries out and sticks to the sink?

Okay, re-used out of the sink is a bit icky.  I'll give you that.

But even cold or dried up, it's just leaves.  I guess it simply doesn't bother me that much.  But, after living with a bulimic cat for 15 years, not much grosses me out any more. :P

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 07:26:03 PM »
But, after living with a bulimic cat for 15 years, not much grosses me out any more. :P

Ditto!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »
I'm totally striking out here - the grossest things you guys can come up with are people dipping their toast in their yolks? Because that's delicious! (And even better if I can get the bacon or sausage in on that maple syrup/egg/pancake action.)

I have one: went to a party recently and the host made everyone a cup of coffee or tea. Milk was already poured in, but I was pointed to a sugar bowl resting on the coffee table for everyone to use. I looked all around it before I realized that someone was stirring their coffee with the only spoon.

She took the spoon out of her cup and scraped it along the edge of her mug, and just as I started to ask if she could hand it to me, she lifted it up, popped it into her mouth, licked it clean, and put it neatly BACK ON THE TABLE next to the sugar bowl.

The worst part? I didn't want to embarrass her, so I didn't say ANYTHING. I went without my dear sweet sugar, but... let's just say that I may have been the only one.  :-X
Jen

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 08:41:28 PM »
I'm totally striking out here - the grossest things you guys can come up with are people dipping their toast in their yolks? Because that's delicious! (And even better if I can get the bacon or sausage in on that maple syrup/egg/pancake action.)

I have one: went to a party recently and the host made everyone a cup of coffee or tea. Milk was already poured in, but I was pointed to a sugar bowl resting on the coffee table for everyone to use. I looked all around it before I realized that someone was stirring their coffee with the only spoon.

She took the spoon out of her cup and scraped it along the edge of her mug, and just as I started to ask if she could hand it to me, she lifted it up, popped it into her mouth, licked it clean, and put it neatly BACK ON THE TABLE next to the sugar bowl.

The worst part? I didn't want to embarrass her, so I didn't say ANYTHING. I went without my dear sweet sugar, but... let's just say that I may have been the only one.  :-X

That's pretty much disgusting! I would have said something to that nasty lady or at least asked for a clean spoon!

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 09:11:39 PM »
Spitting really grosses me out.  Nothing is more disgusting than witnessing some guy hock a big ole loogie onto the sidewalk as you're walking behind him.  The sound alone is gross, and the product is just really...ugh.  I feel sick just thinking about it.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:46 PM »

YUUUUUUGHHHHH!!!!!!! That's even worse than double dipping!!!  :o Nasty!!!!

Black Pudding  :-X  My husband loves this stuff! I tried it just to humor him. Big mistake! It was awful. Now when ever he brings that stuff home it's got it's own little corner in the fridge and he has to make it him self. Gross!

Agreed. I tried it once, too, just to not be a prude or something, but it was all gritty and tasted of nutmeg, and..... dried blood.  [smiley=puke.gif] Oh so nasty!!!! But lots of other cultures eat worse sh*t than that, you know?

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »

Oh yea, now ya singing my song. But make it bacon AND sausage, with a side order of biscuits and gravy, please. It's the most mouth-watering combination of flavours known to man for a full on breakfast. Wash it all down with a tall glass of freshly squeezed thick pulpy orange juice. For afters, a glass of rich chocolate milk and you're set for a drive down Statin Blvd.

Oh did I mention the kipper on top of the pancakes with maple syrup? Now that would be gross.

But what could be more gross than nose pickers? A proctologist who brings his work home? Yea but what are the odds of encountering one of them compared to a nose picker? Nose picking has got to be one of the nastiest things one can do in public without violating any bye-laws. Children are nasty enough but a full grown adult. I mean come on, how can any self respecting adult perform a full blown nose reaming in public? I ain't speaking about the dainty little brush of the finger just along the inside of the nostril edges type but the hardcore, don't give a f*ck who is watching, let's do the rotor rooter one-step reel and see if they can scratch the inside of their eyeball, then do a full cavity scrape, washing machine style action, all the way back down that passage to be followed by a full inspection with all the enthusiasm of a diamond merchant examing his prize. Then there are those that...we'll leave it there.

Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 01:23:49 AM »
Good old-fashioned British butcher shops! We've got some incredibly expensive posh ones in our area and...

...jesus christ...

I'm sorry, but that meat is RANCID. Off. Deceased. Joined the choir eternal. Pining for the fjords. I can't even go into the shop in Battle without gagging.

We bought an incredibly expensive joint of beef in Winchelsea the other Sunday that had been hung so long, even DH agreed it was spoiled when it came out of the oven. We tossed it.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 01:36:50 AM »
speaking of butchers have you seen the ones that have a thing of lard on the counter and little old ladies come in and ask them to cut this much..... ewww
Exchange student visa 08/02 | Bunac visa 05/03 | Student visa 08/03 | Work visa 07/07  |  Married Stateside 27/09/09 | Spousal visa 04/11/09 | Returned to UK 5/12/09 | Settlement Visa (ILR) via post 05/12 | British Citizenship Checking Appointment 13/06/13 | Payment/Process notification 18/06/13 | British Citizenship approved 28/06/13 | Ceremony 21/08/2013 BRITISH CITIZEN!

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »
Good old-fashioned British butcher shops! We've got some incredibly expensive posh ones in our area and...

...jesus christ...

I'm sorry, but that meat is RANCID. Off. Deceased. Joined the choir eternal. Pining for the fjords. I can't even go into the shop in Battle without gagging.

We bought an incredibly expensive joint of beef in Winchelsea the other Sunday that had been hung so long, even DH agreed it was spoiled when it came out of the oven. We tossed it.

Have you thought of letting environmental health know about this place?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab