Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things that gross you out  (Read 16377 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Things that gross you out
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2009, 04:13:01 PM »
Completely unrelated, and not necessary to comment, but..  some people (well, me) eat with fork and knive because they (me) think it slows down their eating and stops them from pigging out :)   So I have been known to eat a hamburger (veggie burger!) with a fork and knife.   :-\\\\

• Liked: 12
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2009, 04:18:28 PM »
Completely unrelated, and not necessary to comment, but..  some people (well, me) eat with fork and knive because they (me) think it slows down their eating and stops them from pigging out :)   So I have been known to eat a hamburger (veggie burger!) with a fork and knife.   :-\\\\
Good point too!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »

Sometimes I take this one step further and use Chopsticks! I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now and have lost 10 pounds since coming home after Thanksgiving in the US.

« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »
LOL Weby omg, I've done that too and thought for sure I was the only person who used the chopstick method!  Its brilliant isnt it?  Congrats on the weight loss!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #184 on: December 14, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »
Sometimes I take this one step further and use Chopsticks! I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now and have lost 10 pounds since coming home after Thanksgiving in the US.
Congrats WebyJ! 
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »
Well, it would certainly limit what you could eat to begin with: ice cream would be very difficult! Do you use the chopsticks on absolutely everything (like would you eat bread that way?)
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2009, 05:35:53 PM »

Weby that's genius! I may try this, I am such a fast eater! I know it contributes to weight gain but I can't help it.

Although what if you just get brilliant at using chopsticks? :) :P

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #187 on: December 15, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »
Or sometimes they just rinse their hands under the cold tap. What good does that do!

At least that is much better than not washing. But if it is only a number one, I would have thought rinsing would be ok. Remember, as a man, the only public thing I have to touch is the door. The other number ALWAYS demands soap. But it is these non-washers that cause me to use a tissue to open the doors on most occasions and alway always always do this in food establishments.

What a cool idea. We use them occasionally but unfortunately can't say it has helped my weight. Perhaps it is the many finger foods I eat like choc digestives, chocolate, sweeties, ice cream (on a stick!). Sugar! Maybe I should just by pass the manufacturing stage and eat it directly. With chopsticks! LOL
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2009, 07:36:48 AM »
I like eating with a fork and knife because I have a small mouth and I don't like shoving food into my mouth. I like being able to cut off a bite sized piece and chew it with my mouth closed, rather than try to ram a large burger or sandwich partway into my mouth and smear sauce on my chin and cheeks.

I suppose the problem with chopsticks is that eventually you will get good at using them and eat as quickly with them as with a fork and knife.

The other day, DH and I were wondering why the concept of using a utensil (fork, chopstick, etc.) to bring food to your mouth was developed.  I understand why you would need a knife to cut a large piece of food to make it small enough to eat, but why can't you just pick it up with your hands and put it in your mouth afterwards. Why is there a rule that you can't put your hand directly to your mouth? DH thought it has to do with heating food, so that it was too hot to touch with your hands, and that the idea developed in cold climates where people were more likely to heat their food before they ate it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:41:40 AM by sweetpeach »

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »
The other day, DH and I were wondering why the concept of using a utensil (fork, chopstick, etc.) to bring food to your mouth was developed.  I understand why you would need a knife to cut a large piece of food to make it small enough to eat, but why can't you just pick it up with your hands and put it in your mouth afterwards. Why is there a rule that you can't put your hand directly to your mouth? DH thought it has to do with heating food, so that it was too hot to touch with your hands, and that the idea developed in cold climates where people were more likely to heat their food before they ate it.

Good question. Not all societies use utensils. For example, the Burmese traditionally eat with one hand, so much so that many of the females only paint the nails on one hand and cut the nails on the other hand. A lot do use utensils but the majority outside the cities still eat this way. My wife still eats this way if it is a rice dish. She would never do it if anyone was over and probably wold be upset to know I just wrote this.

Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2009, 10:22:45 AM »
I once met a woman from India who ate with her hands. She was amazingly neat and delicate - used her fingers sort of like chopsticks - and didn't leave a shred of food or grease on her fingers when she was done - not the way an American or Brit would look after eating food with their hands.

« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
Good question. Not all societies use utensils. For example, the Burmese traditionally eat with one hand, so much so that many of the females only paint the nails on one hand and cut the nails on the other hand. A lot do use utensils but the majority outside the cities still eat this way. My wife still eats this way if it is a rice dish. She would never do it if anyone was over and probably wold be upset to know I just wrote this.

My mother is Indonesian and ate in the same way but only if it was a rice dish, I also ate with my hands at home, I'd never do it in a Chinese restaurant (or whatever) or in front of my boyfriend, I'm sure he'd be a bit disgusted, but I'm very neat and always have very clean hands and nails, it was just normal growing up :)

I will do it now if I'm with my mother and sister, and we're eating satay, gado-gado, nasi, raw slices of potato and blisteringly hot sambal! (gotta be careful not to rub your eye afterwards :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »
We usually eat with our hands at home when we have Indian food.

« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2009, 12:58:06 PM »
I don't have a problem with eating with the hands -- particularly if it's a cultural thing. Why not?
DH has a weird habit -- not gross -- but weird.  When he's eating ice cream, he'll dig out a big chunk from his bowl and then hold the spoon as he eats bites off it. Almost as if he's holding an ice cream cone.
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »

I don't think so...people eat hot food in hot climates as well.  They just wait until it cools down enough to eat it when they use their hands.  I think it's more to do with perceived cleanliness and the unwillingness to dirty your hands with food.

Sponsored Links