Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things that gross you out  (Read 16391 times)

Re: Things that gross you out
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »
It's not totally unheard of to call it a lavatory on the east coast of the US, although it is probably a dying usage.  It's weird that people find one of our words for toilet which pretty much all have roots that mean the same thing, that is a place to wash or fix yourself up, at some point in their history ("bathroom", "lavatory", "washroom", "toilet").  They're all euphemisms too.  I am not entirely sure why I find it hard to say "toilet".  It's not really because I find it too crude, which is why many Americans say they don't use the word.  It might be that I find myself being self conscious about it, and that I am supposed to have a problem using the word as an American.  I definitely know the weirdness of an American using the word "loo" is why I don't use that word in public.

It sort of reminds me of a teacher we had in school who called the bathrooms "basements".  It took me about of week to figure out he was talking about the bathroom and not some cellar of the school I didn't know existed or that we could go into it.  He's the only person I've ever met who called toilets that, but AFAIK it was used more commonly at one time to refer to specifically school or public toilets.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:00:05 AM by Legs Akimbo »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
I've found whenever I don't say "toilet" it takes a few seconds to register what I'm asking for, so I've just adopted the practice.

And really the only place I've heard the term lavoratory used is planes and trains...

Oh and I'm a bathroom reader too.  Agreeing with Bob- it's a place for some quiet! :D
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2009, 10:23:18 AM »
It sort of reminds me of a teacher we had in school who called the bathrooms "basements".

That's bizarre! Were they actually in the basement?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »
That's what I was wondering.  I've never heard that term used before.  My hubby used to keep a few books in the bathroom and I thought it was gross, not so much because of poopy germs, but more so because they were starting to get soggy--our bathroom traps a lot of moisture, even if we leave the windows open during and after showers.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »

No.  It's a regional definition:

http://www.answers.com/topic/basement

He's the only one I ever heard use it that way.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »
No.  It's a regional definition:

http://www.answers.com/topic/basement

He's the only one I ever heard use it that way.

That's really interesting! It says it's a New England term, but I lived in New England for 20+ years and never heard it. Where was your teacher from?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »
I dont think I'll ever be able to use the word "toilet," not since elementary school where saying toilet instead of the polite "restroom" would result in you holding it!

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »
That's really interesting! It says it's a New England term, but I lived in New England for 20+ years and never heard it. Where was your teacher from?

No clue.  I couldn't stand the guy.  If there was one teacher I'd like to go back and totally administer a verbal beatdown upon, it's this guy.  But that has nothing to do with his use of this term.  I've known a lot of New Englanders (including many teachers), and spent much of my life within walking distance of it, and never heard it before or since outside of the internets.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:06:04 AM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »
I've found whenever I don't say "toilet" it takes a few seconds to register what I'm asking for, so I've just adopted the practice.

And really the only place I've heard the term lavoratory used is planes and trains...

Oh and I'm a bathroom reader too.  Agreeing with Bob- it's a place for some quiet! :D

in the UK? :) I never say "toilet" I am incapable of saying it to another human being (hey, I have issues!).

I say "Ladies Room" which seems to be understood well. I don't think anyone I know says toilet, mostly they say "Loo" I think.

« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2009, 01:16:04 PM »
in the UK? :) I never say "toilet" I am incapable of saying it to another human being (hey, I have issues!).

I say "Ladies Room" which seems to be understood well. I don't think anyone I know says toilet, mostly they say "Loo" I think.

Really? My hubby's whole family says "toilet",  even my sister in law.  And I'll admit I found it kind of crude when I first started saying it.  I'll have to try "ladies room".

Side note: My little brother was disappointed that hubby's family didn't say "loo" since that's totally a British term.
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

• Liked: 0
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
I pretty much call it any number of the names others have already listed depending on who I'm talking to and where I am. Sometimes it's restroom sometimes it's toilet and so on but people seem to get what I'm saying regardless of what term I use.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2009, 01:54:23 PM »
I thought that toilet meant a different thing in American English than in British English.

In American English, "the toilet" is the receptacle that you sit on to relieve your body of waste. So "going to the toilet" means that you are about to perform a private bodily function - you are actually about to sit on top of the toilet and let something out. That's just TMI.

In British English, "the toilet" is the entire room where you do this. So if you say you are "going to the toilet", you could be going to brush your teeth, fix  your makeup, etc.

In fact a "toilet" was previously a dressing room - the place where a woman puts on her "toiletries".

« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »
Remember a more innocent time of bathroom vernacular? When a person like Johnny Carson could get a lot of heat for having said "water closet" on television?   ;D

« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »
Bit of a side note, but I had a funny exchange with my husband yesterday.

I overheard a woman at the store (in the US) talking about her young son and she said, "He went to the bathroom in his pants." Not a completely uncommon phrase here, but very funny if you think about the British meaning of that! My husband had a good laugh over it.  ;D

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »
I agree that toilet is strange and does make me feel dirty.  As sweetpeach said, in America, the toilet is the thing you sit on to do your business...and a toilet in general (to me anyway) is just a gross thing...not matter how clean it is.  So just hearing the word "toilet" makes me cringe.  I find that word kinda gross.  It's funny if someone calls for my hubby and I answer the phone and say "He's in the bathroom."  I refuse to say "He's in the toilet".    *mental image of my 6'4" husband actually being inside the toilet...gross*

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab