Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Books you can't bloody stand...  (Read 55892 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Books you can't bloody stand...
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2006, 04:29:56 PM »
As for books I really can't stand.. please, don't hate me but I absolutely can not stand Harry Potter and especially can't stand seeing adults going crazy for teenage lit!

Which book(s) have you read of HP?

(I'm not a huge fan of Da Vinci Code either)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2006, 05:00:01 PM »
I actually liked The Scarlett Letter. Believe me, I was just as surprised as everyone else!

I really like the Scarlet Letter, too.

« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2006, 05:49:23 PM »
I really like the Scarlet Letter, too.

I loved his imagery - especially when he describes the forest.

« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2006, 06:02:09 PM »
I used to hate Harry Potter, too.  And I thought peeps who read him were saddos. 

I learned the error of my ways.  ;D

Start w/the third one.  I did and got hooked.  Just finished re-reading the series.  She's still writing book 7 but says it's 'going well'.  Let's hope that means Snape snuffs it.

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2006, 06:07:19 PM »
My friend basically made me read the first one and I could only get through just half of it. I found it completely mind-numbing. but that's just me. Then when the movie came out she made me watch it with her. The movie was ok, but what I appreciated about the movie was not the story line but the cinematography and special effects.  Same as with Star Wars, couldn't tell ya much about the storyline because it bored me but I appreciated the special effects.
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2006, 10:11:20 PM »
Books I can't stand.... Well, authors:

Dylan Thomas
Anne Rice
Ayn Rand.

Thomas is depressingly tedious, boring, soporific expletive.

Rand wrote books to showcase her philosophy, which is best described as rabid anti-communism. All her characters hate each other, and rightly so because they're horrible. Who'd want to read about that? Not me.

And Rice just needs an editor to axe about 75% of the stuff she writes. We, the readers, don't (or shouldn't) need the back-story, thanks.

The above opinions are based on two of Rice's books, one of Rand's stories plus the first ~100 pages of one of her interminable books, and Thomas's Under Milk Wood together with an equally risible short story.

Bah.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2006, 08:11:12 AM »
Under Milk Wood is meant to be heard as a radio play, rather than read. I can see that if you read it, it might not be that great. However, to listen to, it's lyrical and hysterically funny! His words are amazing -- and it's extra nice if you have a recording with Dylan Thomas doing the narration. Hisa voice is up there with Alan Rickman's in my book! It's one of my faves.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2006, 01:45:36 PM »
Under Milk Wood is meant to be heard as a radio play, rather than read. I can see that if you read it, it might not be that great. However, to listen to, it's lyrical and hysterically funny! His words are amazing -- and it's extra nice if you have a recording with Dylan Thomas doing the narration. Hisa voice is up there with Alan Rickman's in my book! It's one of my faves.

I have to agree, Dylan is best when you hear him reading.  I always picture him in a recording booth - book in one hand, bottle in the other. ;D

« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »

As for books I really can't stand.. please, don't hate me but I absolutely can not stand Harry Potter and especially can't stand seeing adults going crazy for teenage lit! 

Well said - I've read the first Harry Potter and it was all right, but not brilliant, about as good as any other good children's book.

And I love the Woman in White - and I even liked Moby Dick, although I did skim read some of the chapters.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

« Reply #204 on: April 07, 2006, 03:34:16 PM »
I've heard Richard Burton reading Under Milk Wood. I didn't hate it any less.... :P

• taking over birmingham one by one...
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #205 on: April 07, 2006, 06:54:55 PM »
And Rice just needs an editor to axe about 75% of the stuff she writes. We, the readers, don't (or shouldn't) need the back-story, thanks.

she lost me with 'memnoch the devil'.

WTF was that supposed to be?!?!

it's been steadily downhill from there.
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2006, 09:07:25 PM »
I've heard Richard Burton reading Under Milk Wood. I didn't hate it any less.... :P

Oooh, now that sounds really good!

Add Richard Burton to the Dylan Thomas/Alan Rickman list! ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
she lost me with 'memnoch the devil'.

WTF was that supposed to be?!?!

it's been steadily downhill from there.

That was the last one I read.  Although, honestly, I really lost interest after Queen of the Damned.  Just never got into the whole Cult of Lestat thing.  Puh-lease. ::)

« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2006, 10:23:49 PM »
Oooh, now that sounds really good!

Add Richard Burton to the Dylan Thomas/Alan Rickman list! ;D
Nnnnnoooooooooo!!!!! [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

[smiley=mad.gif]

Okay, I do like Burton... as long as he steered clear of Dylan Thomas.

« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2006, 10:25:03 PM »
That was the last one I read.  Although, honestly, I really lost interest after Queen of the Damned.  Just never got into the whole Cult of Lestat thing.  Puh-lease. ::)

Same here.  She had a good thing going, but it just went downhill fast.

Sponsored Links