Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Books you can't bloody stand...  (Read 55928 times)

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
  • Liked: 0
Re: Books you can't bloody stand...
« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2007, 12:38:47 PM »
Anything by a WAG or reality star. Makes me very sad that people actually buy these books and look up to them so much.
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

« Reply #241 on: July 13, 2007, 04:42:26 AM »
Walden.

Junior year of HS. American Studies.

Never. Again.  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

• Superdork!
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
I'm almost embarressed to say it but, White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I liked it for the first half but lord, it became endless! I really wanted to like it but it just didn't happen.

I know it's a bit late as the comment was posted a couple of years ago, but A Confederacy of Dunces rocked my world and is definately in my top ten.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2007, 04:31:08 PM »
I'm almost embarressed to say it but, White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I liked it for the first half but lord, it became endless! I really wanted to like it but it just didn't happen.

I know it's a bit late as the comment was posted a couple of years ago, but A Confederacy of Dunces rocked my world and is definately in my top ten.

So strange!!  I was just thinking about this!  Someone in that "would like to meet" kind of column in the London Paper mentioned someone they had discussed A Confederacy of Dunces with and would like to see them again.  I thought - whoa, I'd like to meet both of you!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Superdork!
« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2007, 09:12:08 PM »
Peedal, I think that book is so under appreciated. I think it's especially sad considering he's dead, one small spark of genius is all we will ever have from him. :\\\'(

« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2007, 02:32:58 AM »
You can put me down as another person who couldn't stand "The Davinci Code".

• Neurotic Traveler
« Reply #246 on: September 10, 2007, 10:20:39 PM »
I know this is like sacrilege for some, but I just can't stand The World According to Garp. 

I've never had such a visceral reaction to a book.  I was moved, and I was disgusted, and I cried.  I think it may very well be a brilliant novel...but I can't bloody stand it. 

« Reply #247 on: October 15, 2007, 01:03:23 AM »
You can put me down as another person who couldn't stand "The Davinci Code".
Agreed, it was so predictable. It was like a romance novel in it's predictability.
"Nevermore" - The Raven

« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »
Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. I had to read it senior year of high school and I spent so much time kicking up a fuss about it that my tutor eventually dropped it. It was the most boring, screedy tome I have ever read and it's not like the level of language was all that challenging, it was just all around poorly written.

Of course, I don't buy into the whole Rand conception of exceptionalism through individualism, so that might be a big part of it.

And it was boring!

• Matthew's two favourite things - chocolate & !!
« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2008, 10:15:46 PM »
I hated Sebastian Faulks' 'Human Traces' but loved his book 'Birdsong'.

« Reply #250 on: June 10, 2008, 06:07:09 AM »
Anthem by Ayn Rand. Or as I like to call it, Objectivism for the Brain-Dead.

The weird thing is I liked both Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. I'm not an objectivist, but I enjoyed both books as works of literature. But if I'd have read Anthem before I read either of those, it would have been a long cold day in hell before I picked up anything else she'd written. I really thought it was offensively bad.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:11:18 AM by Mort »
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Because he's a surfer and i'm a scot!
« Reply #251 on: June 10, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »
Absolutely hated Atonement.  I had it for years before the film, picked it up, started it and put it down countless times.  Finally the film release made me pick it up again.  I read the whole thing but it was painful.  I still have no clue what the ending was all about.  I hate books that leave you hanging!

« Reply #252 on: June 10, 2008, 03:00:36 PM »
Well, I've just read this long thread thinking I could make a list of books to avoid.  I should have realized people would all have different reactions!  Duh!

I'm another one who hated Da Vinci Code.  I read Atlas Shrugged but wasn't a big fan of that either.  I liked Tolstoy: War and Peace, Karenina.  I loved Confederacy of Dunces and I liked Garp too.

Like Genau, I rarely read books I can't stand because I manage to screen them out beforehand.

One that I can remember not liking was Peachtree Road by Anne Rivers Siddons.  I lived in Atlanta and love to read, so it was inevitable I would receive that book as a gift.  I had to make myself finish it.
doing laundry

« Reply #253 on: June 10, 2008, 03:29:17 PM »
Absolutely hated Atonement.  I had it for years before the film, picked it up, started it and put it down countless times.  Finally the film release made me pick it up again.  I read the whole thing but it was painful.  I still have no clue what the ending was all about.  I hate books that leave you hanging!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one :)  I hated the book and the movie.  Though, they did a really good job adapting it. (Crap as it was :P)

• Because he's a surfer and i'm a scot!
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one :)  I hated the book and the movie.  Though, they did a really good job adapting it. (Crap as it was :P)

I'm tempted to watch the movie just to see how they adapted it, in my mind it would last 15 minutes at most and have no plot whatsoever.  The fact that I detest Keira Knightley but love James McAvoy is causing me problems!  ;)

Sponsored Links