Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Books you can't bloody stand...  (Read 54673 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Books you can't bloody stand...
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2004, 10:23:39 AM »
I started Isle of Woman by Piers Anthony - whose writing I usually love - and just had to put it down.  Haven't picked it up again.  Yet.  I'm pretty sure I will, as there has only ever been ONE book that I've ever not been able to finish.  But it's been some months now... ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2004, 04:13:08 PM »
there has only ever been ONE book that I've ever not been able to finish. 

Enquiring minds want to know, peedal. What was that imfamous book????

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2004, 04:44:52 PM »
Oh, some romance novel a friend of a friend had written and the friend gave it to me to read.  This was back about, um, 1987 I think...  ;)  I got 3 pages in and had to give it up.  Romance novels and "chick lit" are NOT my thing.  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2004, 01:29:39 PM »
PILLARS OF THE EARTH!!!

I read it all and the only point that I enjoyed it was  towards the end when I knew the book was going to end soon!  Pet cemetery by Stephen King is another, I found myself aching to put it down and didn't finish the third chapter.

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2004, 03:41:52 PM »
'The Corrections' by Jonathan Frazen.  CRAP!  Couldn't manage to slog through it, and I minored in Medieval History - had to read loads of boring narratives at uni.

Anything by John Irving.  Why, John, why?  We know you're weird, and there's nothing illegal about that, but please, FFS, keep it to yourself.

• Does my bum look big in this?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2005, 04:09:46 PM »
"Lord Jim" by Joseph Conrad.  It was an assignment for an AP English class in high school.  I honestly tried, but I could NOT force myself to read it all the way through!!!  Horrible, horrible, horrible.  Written in "stream of consciousness" style....aarghhh!  Finally ended up buying the cliff notes for it.  :-[  (Still got an 'A' though!)
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2005, 04:25:07 PM »
"Lord Jim" by Joseph Conrad.  It was an assignment for an AP English class in high school.  I honestly tried, but I could NOT force myself to read it all the way through!!!  Horrible, horrible, horrible.  Written in "stream of consciousness" style....aarghhh!  Finally ended up buying the cliff notes for it.  :-[  (Still got an 'A' though!)

I agree!  That was absolute pants and I went Cliff Notes as well.   ;D  I also used Cliff Notes for 'As I Lay Dying' by Wm. Faulkner and 'Ulysses' by James Joyce. 

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2005, 11:55:06 PM »
Oh! And I can't believe I forgot this one before.

"Johnny Got His Gun." Awful! Awful book! With the worst ending EVER.

I read that when I had mono and was stuck in my house for a month - I read it in one afternoon, and by the time I got to the end I was in tears, having trouble breathing, and my sense of claustrophobia had increased many times over.  *Not* a light read, that one.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2005, 01:57:31 PM »
Is that the one they made into a film where a soldier is wounded and trapped in his own mind, with no way to communicate???
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Money can't buy me, luv
    • My Myspace Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2005, 03:46:56 PM »
"Must Like Dogs" by (erm.... can't remember)... was an awful book.  I heard they're making it into a movie w/ John Cusack... as much as I love him I don't know if I will be able to sit through that book on screen! :-P
"Oh look, a beckoning digit!"

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2005, 10:17:17 PM »
Is that the one they made into a film where a soldier is wounded and trapped in his own mind, with no way to communicate???

Yep. 

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2005, 10:33:22 PM »
Mine has to be "Beloved" by Toni Morrison- couldn't cope with it at all and everyone around me was so in love with it  :(

Sheril.
Born to shop..............forced to work

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2005, 01:09:10 AM »
Gotta be the bible. Difficult. Long. Boring in many places and I'll be damned if I can figure out if it's fiction or non! ;)
I'd have to agree with your choice but not so much because of its content but because of all the hypocrites who quote it... and live by it... fact or fiction i have no clue... and boring !!! how many begats do you need???
It's the difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Lipstick? Where woman? There is no lipstick!
She wasn't kissing your lips my darling

What's it gonna be Merv?
Interesting deal
She'll do it. If she has to kill everyone in this room. She'll do it. She's in love.
*sigh*
It's amazing how the path of love is so alike to the path of insanity

2gether 4ever Jo & Jimmy

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2005, 05:33:22 PM »
Man, oh man, do we have some differing opinions on this site! I guess that's what keeps life interesting.

Two books that people have named as their least faves are two of my all-time favourites! "The Corrections" and "Confederacy of Dunces." Both fabulous. Absolutely amazing writing.

My least favourite would have to be "Tuesdays with Morrie" or anything by Nicholas Sparks. Utter and complete drivel. Ugh. I can feel the bile rising in my throat at the mere thought.

I'd also throw in anything by Danielle Steele or those other women who all write exactly the same way. Crap. All of it. Crap. A waste of perfectly good trees.   >:(
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2005, 10:09:59 PM »
Two books that people have named as their least faves are two of my all-time favourites! "The Corrections" and "Confederacy of Dunces." Both fabulous. Absolutely amazing writing.

I am absolutely intrigued by "Confederacy of Dunces"- I am going to have to buy, thanks a LOT ;)

Born to shop..............forced to work

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab