Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Books you can't bloody stand...  (Read 54775 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Books you can't bloody stand...
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2005, 08:02:59 PM »
"Cry, the Beloved Country"
Probably no coincidence it was the book I HAD to read for my exams.
These are small... those are far away.

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2005, 08:28:29 PM »
I'm not afraid to admit it - I hated The DaVinci Code.  I got halfway through and just skipped to the last chapter.  I should have stuck with my rule: the more people tell me I have to read something, the smaller the chance it will be any good.

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2005, 08:54:13 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean, FunGirl. I kept skipping paragraphs. His writing style is laborious  - and then this happened, and then that happened and then this other thing happened. Absolutely no style at all.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2005, 08:56:08 PM »
I'm not afraid to admit it - I hated The DaVinci Code. I got halfway through and just skipped to the last chapter. I should have stuck with my rule: the more people tell me I have to read something, the smaller the chance it will be any good.

Oooh!  I read that a few weeks ago - most horribly written book I've ever read.  Didn't that guy have an editor?  Or - anything new to say?  What a sad joke that book is.

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2005, 11:50:19 PM »
Everyone says it's a rehash of 'The Holy Blood & the Holy Grail', & I already read that, so I thought what's the point!
These are small... those are far away.

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2005, 12:56:46 AM »
I just feel bad for the people who run the Louvre - all those tourists who read it wanting to see where everything happened.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2005, 09:04:23 AM »
Oooh!  I read that a few weeks ago - most horribly written book I've ever read.  Didn't that guy have an editor?  Or - anything new to say?  What a sad joke that book is.

I agree. It was one of the worst-written books I've read in a looooong time. Every now and then you do come across one that isn't written well, but to have it be that huge a best-seller?!? That baffles me. Don't people know how to read?? I know that his ideas weren't new, but that wasn't such a problem to me. I thought the story was OK -- a tad unbelievable, but it kept going. It was the writing that was so abysmal. I think he was concentrating on future movie rights as he was writing. It reads much more like a movie script than a book. There was no style, no subtlety, no beauty of language, etc.

Writers like that really bug me. If you want to write movies, then write movies. But don't clutter up our libraries and bookshops with your drivel! I put John Grisham and Steven (Stephen?) King in the same category.

Rant over.   ;)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2005, 11:17:11 PM »
Tony Parsons' books makes me despair of life. 

'The Lovely Bones' made me want to organise a book burning.

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2005, 11:18:23 PM »
Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne. My English lecturer recommended it, I've started it 3 times and then get distracted, but am determined to try again.

You're not missing much.

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2005, 11:21:12 PM »
The Rules
Ellen Fein (Author), Sherrie Schneider (Contributor)

all my friends were reading that book way back when :-\\\\
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2005, 11:22:46 PM »
I just feel bad for the people who run the Louvre - all those tourists who read it wanting to see where everything happened.

You should see Roslyn Chapel these days.  Bloody mob scene. 

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2005, 09:12:08 PM »
'The Lovely Bones' made me want to organise a book burning.

Hated the ending of that one. 
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2005, 09:47:31 PM »
Hated the ending of that one. 

The whole book was a mood killer worthy of a bottle of vodka and a handful of sleeping pills.  I had to read it for a book group which I quit after the next book they chose was another saddo from h***. 

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2005, 09:58:07 PM »
The whole book was a mood killer worthy of a bottle of vodka and a handful of sleeping pills.  I had to read it for a book group which I quit after the next book they chose was another saddo from h***. 

I agree, but the least the author could have done was come up with a decent ending to it.  I slogged through that whole book only to be totally disappointed at the end.  It's like she just ran out of steam and couldn't be bothered coming up with a REAL ending!!!
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2005, 10:32:18 PM »
I agree, but the least the author could have done was come up with a decent ending to it.  I slogged through that whole book only to be totally disappointed at the end.  It's like she just ran out of steam and couldn't be bothered coming up with a REAL ending!!!

I couldn't agree more.  I was so angry at that ending, which I'd been dumb enough to stay up till midnight to finish, I ripped the covers off and threw it into a recycling bin.  That's the best place for it - couldn't imagine foisting it on s/one else.

Sponsored Links