Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Colleague forced into retirement  (Read 625 times)

• Liked: 163
Colleague forced into retirement
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:49:33 PM »
One of the TV producers I really liked working with was forced into retirement while I was gone getting married and having a honeymoon.  Apparently he hit retirement age and wanted to keep working, but the company is trying to cut people whenever possible to save money, so he was forced into retirement. 

He'd been working for the company since the 70's, was well liked and respected, and I personally liked working with him because he had been around long enough that he was calm and assured in his decision making, and was also fully open to implementing ideas from other people. 

You know when someone really knows what they're doing, and they know they know, so they're not arrogant or insecure?  That's what working with this guy was like, and it was something I always looked forward to.  I'm really bummed about it.

• Liked: 2
Re: Colleague forced into retirement
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:06:20 PM »
That's such a shame.  It seems to be becoming more common these days too, to make people retire asap.  :-\\\\ Some companies don't seem to value people's experience.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »
That really bites.

You think companies would realise that us older folk have a lot to offer.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »
The same thing happened to my grandfather. He worked for the same company for almost 40 years. They forced him into retirement about ten years ago when he turned 65. He had just spent hours teaching himself how to use a laptop (new concept to the company at the time). It wasn't nice at all.

The company ended up almost going bankrupt and  got bought out by another company  :P
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:02 AM »
Sorry to hear that C.  >:( That really sucks. At least you appreciated the value of his insight and experience, and I am sure you have learned a lot from him.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab