Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: MOLD!!!  (Read 1440 times)

• Liked: 0
MOLD!!!
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
Not sure if this should go here, but what the heck.

So I have a mold problem in my room. It wasn't there when I first moved in and due to how my bed and curtains were set up, I didn't see it and therefore didn't realize it was there until I smelled it.  [smiley=puke.gif] I spent the majority of my Sunday cleaning and coughing. Btw, I'm ill at the moment! Coincedence?

Originally, I thought it might have been water damage or due to the condensation built by my window. However, upon speaking to a local man about it, he said that it might be coming from the ceiling.

I have never dealt with mold, I don't know much about it. I spoke to my roommates and they're concerned it will spread to their rooms. They recommended that I get soda crystals and scrub, scrub, scrub. However, this led to me just scraping off the paint, my room is painted white, only to see that the mold is underneath the paint and in the wall.

I informed my roommates about it and it has been suggested that I prepare to relocate for the sake of my health.  [smiley=help.gif]

Just to describe the problem, there is a distinct trail of mold along the bend of my wall from the ceiling to the floor. The worst of it was near the floor but it was spreading along the edges of the wall.  [smiley=puke.gif] And since I cleaned it on Sunday, it's coming back. [smiley=help.gif]

Is the room savagable or should I relocate?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:06:20 PM by rynn_aka_rae »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• Liked: 3
Re: MOLD!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:50:35 PM »
Honestly, I would relocate if I were you. It's not worth staying there for your health. It sounds like they just painted right over the mold before you moved in. We have a mold problem too and we suspect this is what they did in our flat. I just have to clean it and keep up with it. We have since found out that someone else had to move out of this complex because of a mold problem in their flat. You could get a dehumidifier to keep in your room to see if that helps, but if it doesn't you'll be out about 100 quid. I've been treating ours by spraying it with diluted tea tree oil, which is a natural antifungal, then wiping it off with a damp cloth. It has worked everywhere in the flat, except this one corner which you can see the dark underneath the paint. I have to clean that area weekly, but the rest of the flat I only need to do about once a month when I see some mold crop up.

It sucks and I totally feel your pain.

ETA: We would move in a heartbeat, but there's a chance we're moving to the US within the next year. Hopefully we'll know in the next couple of months if that's the case, because if it's not, we're definitely moving to a new flat!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:52:08 PM by Bmore_2_UK »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
Uggh. If you can move for your health, that's better.

I've got a huge mold issue too- so I bought a really good dehumidifier.  Its awesome- so efficient- amazing how much moisture it pulls- though I do have to keep it running constantly, so I can only imagine what my electric bills will be.   But I haven't had a mold issue since then.

Since I have very expensive musical instruments scattered amongst my house, I'd rather keep it running than have those get damaged. 

Good luck. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »
Surface mold is quite easy to deal with, just clean it off with some fungicide (not bleach.)

It sounds like you might have a bigger infestation (especially) if you can smell it, once it gets to a certain stage, especially if it's in or behind the plaster then there's not really much you can do short of ripping the infected stuff out and re-plastering.

With your talk of room mates I guess you're renting?  I so get onto the landlord, it's definitely their problem.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:05:44 PM »
Yes, I am renting. Since I'll be gone this weekend, my roomates are prepared to speak to the landlord about it. Also, I believe it's in my closet and it *got* one of my favorite shirts  [smiley=bomb.gif] I spent yesterday doing my laundry and have resorted to living out of my suitcase again.

I'm assuming they'll have to tear the wall in and repair it? Could it also be due to the heavy rains and winds we have been getting lately? Also, is mold a common issue over here?
09/29/09--Visa Approved!

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »
My instant reaction when you said it was ceiling to floor is that there may be a leak causing the mold, and if you hadn't really noticed (or smelled (gross)) it before then with the heavy rains that could definitely be a possibility.

Absolutely get your landlord on this.  It's their responsibility entirely.  Yes, they should replace the infected part of the wall, and see what (if any) is the underlying cause.

So sorry.... maybe you have a comfy sofa to sleep on temporarily? (Not ideal I know...air mattress are about £20).  I definitely wouldn't be breathing that in though, especially now that you're sick!
Fee Fi Fo Fum, I fell in love with an Englishman. 

Met 11.5.09 in St. Lucia
Visited England Dec-Jan 09, Aug-Sep 09
He visited US April 09, June 09
Engaged in June 09
Married 8.29.09 (on a Marriage Visit Visa)
Returned to US 9.9.09
Submitted Online Spousal Visa App 9.25.09
Biometrics 9.29.09
Sent docs to expediter 9.29.09
Docs to Consulate 10.2.09
Visa ISSUED 10.2.09
Moved to UK 10.23.09
Got first job 11.14.09
Started first job 12.7.2009
Second Wedding in US 7.17.2010
First Wedding Anniversary 8.29.10
First Immiversary 10.24

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:45:09 PM »
You can find room dehumidifiers for around £50 and bigger ones for around £80.  The one we bought does our whole flat, but adds about 3-4 kwh usage a day to our electric use (constant use).  It's made a world of difference though.  We went from not being able to open our door to having zero condensation, things drying a lot faster on the airer, and not having the aches we were having before we bought it.  We decided last night to cut down the time we run it now that we've dried the flat out, but we won't hesitate to bump up that usage if we start to have problems again.

If you can't move and your landlord doesn't want to look into fixing it, a dehumidifier may help.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
Honestly, I would relocate if I were you. It's not worth staying there for your health.

Having dealt with mold for the last year in our rental flat, I have to agree. We are moving in a couple weeks, and I can't wait.

The problem in our place is being on the ground floor of an old apartment building with metal framed windows and single glazing. The condensation on the windows is insane in the mornings and we have to spend tons of time dealing with that and cleaning and trying to prevent mold.

I use straight bleach on the walls, which does generally take care of it. It also helps to get fresh air in as much as possible (we tend to close off each room for a bit each day, and open all the windows) and use a dehumidifier. Also generally try to keep the moisture levels down by not airdrying clothes in the affected room, keep lids on pots, etc.

I have had a lot of sinus issues/allergies this year, and I'm sure this is the reason. I will be very interested to see what happens when we move.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 01:41:19 AM »
3/4 water to 1/4 bleach in a spray bottle is how I use to fight the mold in my old apt.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 09:26:24 PM »
According to my roommates, the landlord apparently knew about it. Must have slipped his mind, huh? Anyway, they think they overreacted and that the mold is treatable. Um, I don't think so! I scrubbed it one day and the next it is already showing signs of coming back. I'm still thinking about relocating, does anyone have any links/information that I could read in case I run into some trouble about moving out? Btw, I'm not on the lease, but was supposed to live there until next September.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »
I believe I'll try moving out in December. I was told that there should be openings in student housing--goodness, I hope so! However, I am not on the lease on my current flat. From what I can tell, the mold situation is not being taken care of.  My sinuses are killing me and the smell in my room is worsening.  :-X

I just wonder at this point, what are my options? Can/should I move out? If I leave in December, since I am not on the lease, am I legally obliged to pay rent until they find a new roommate? I've considered leaving in December, but paying all of December's and early January's rent so that they have time to find a new tenant. I don't want to leave my roommates high and dry, but the mold is coming back and it is reaching my closet, I'm already living out of my suitcase, experiencing major sinus problems, already lost some of my clothes to mold... :-X

ETA: I think it's black mold?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:11:53 PM by rynn_aka_rae »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
If it's black mold then leave without delay.

If you're not on a lease, and have no contract, then you have no obligation. The other tenants are subletting to you and they are responsible for the rent.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 06:53:33 PM »

If you're not on a lease, and have no contract, then you have no obligation. The other tenants are subletting to you and they are responsible for the rent.

Thank you grumpyjet :) I've never dealt with mold in general and unfortunately the earliest I can leave is December 10th if I find other accommodations :/
09/29/09--Visa Approved!

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:51:25 AM »

I am with grumpy jet, you need to lookout for your health.  Your home is where you escape the stresses of the world and if it is causing you to become sick, you need to change it.  Best of luck!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab