Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: unhappy OH  (Read 868 times)

• Liked: 0
unhappy OH
« on: November 22, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, but "grievances" seem to cover it.
My OH (the American half of us) is miserable being in the UK. Thing is, we tried moving to the States and HE wasn't happy, so we came back coz HE had a stable job in the UK. But now we're here, he is  not happy. Mainly, in the winter, he's cold. he hates the rain, he says the house never warms up (just for the record it's lovely and toasty), and he hates the grey skies.
Ok, we all could use more sunshine. but rain and cold are realities. It's not like he grew up in California, he's from mid-West. it rains and snows in his home town! i think he's just homesick. Does anyone else have a homesick OH? any advice from long-timers out there?
FYI we've been married over 10 years, have a number of cute kids, and this is the 4th country, 8th house that we're living in in that time.
Oh, he's really doing well at work but hates it. I know a psychologist might tell me that has a lot to do with it, right?
Also, since our last move, I havent' been working, but I'm going back to work in the next few months, maybe that will take the pressure off him?

Re: unhappy OH
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »
I am the American OH and I certainly would like to hear a little advice as I'm going through a rough time right now just like your husband.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:01:53 AM »
Man, this all sounds familiar.

I'm an American OH, here for 23 years. How long have you guys been here? If you're still fairly new, then, the good news is, it will pass, but it takes time.

I think this time of year is particularly bad for homesickness (or, more truthfully, "the grass is always greener" syndrome). The UK just doesn't do the holiday season like Americans so all the stuff that we typically use to get through the bleak months just doesn't happen here. I grew up in California, so, while I really look forward to each of the four seasons, winter is so loooooooooooooong here.

I guess it took me about 3 or 4 years to really get over that. Once I'd built up enough events to have something to feel nostalgic about. The winter still gets me down, but usually not until the end of January or so.

To battle the winter gloom, you really need to get out in the sunshine whenever it appears. Take walks and things. Sort of revel in the weather. Get all bundled up and go out and look at the autumn leaves before they're gone. Or do some pub walks if that's your thing.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:29:34 AM »
I find making a list of everything I am grateful for helps when I feel like crap about a situation.  It doesn't totally prevent homesickness, but what I miss about home (particularly this time of year) becomes less about longing and disappointment about where I am and more bittersweet.

Also, is he really wanting to move because he hates it here or is it because he likes the things moving provides at least temporarily (the prospect of a new beginning, excitement and stress--both positive and negative)?  There's always talk about people seeking geographic solutions to problems, but I don't think that's always the case for people who live a semi-nomadic lifestyle.  Some are happy living that way, but it doesn't sound like your OH is.  Some people do tend to "run away", but I don't think that is why many people do it.  Even "the grass is greener" doesn't explain it totally.

Sponsored Links