Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cool Whip: Is there a UK equivalent?  (Read 159390 times)

• Liked: 0
Cool Whip: Is there a UK equivalent?
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:26:54 PM »
Ok, so all this Thanksgiving talk made me think of one of my favorite recipes that depends upon Cool Whip (preferably low fat/or sugar free). Anyone know of a UK equivalent... that is NOT well-whipped double cream?!

Inventive solutions are otherwise invited!

Thanks, Rutabega

• Liked: 4
Re: Cool Whip: Is there a UK equivalent?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »
Sadly I don't think there is an equivalent.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »
I think Elmlea is similar. It isn't pre-whipped, but otherwise I think it's the same.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:51:25 PM »
I think Elmlea is similar. It isn't pre-whipped, but otherwise I think it's the same.

not too sure about this one, pet.
Elmlea is just fake pouring cream... i dont think it's sweetened or anything like CoolWhip, but in saying that, I've never actually used it.
Sounds like the OP is looking for something already whipped and sweetened?

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »
Dream Whip! It's a dried powder - found with the jelly. It's quite good! You just mix it with milk (or a milk substitute).
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:01:18 PM »
not too sure about this one, pet.
Elmlea is just fake pouring cream... i dont think it's sweetened or anything like CoolWhip, but in saying that, I've never actually used it.
Sounds like the OP is looking for something already whipped and sweetened?

No, they don't make a sweetened one, but they make a whipping one and a 'squirty' one. It's an vegetable oil based cream substitute like cool whip.  :)

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »
No, they don't make a sweetened one, but they make a whipping one and a 'squirty' one. It's an vegetable oil based cream substitute like cool whip.  :)

oh, i didnt know they did a squirtin one.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »
i just buy squirty cream in an aerosol can. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 08:21:56 AM »
Dream Whip! It's a dried powder - found with the jelly. It's quite good! You just mix it with milk (or a milk substitute).

Yes, this, IMHO, is the most like cool whip.

However, I usually just use squirty cream in a can when I need whipped cream. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »
Yes, this, IMHO, is the most like cool whip.

However, I usually just use squirty cream in a can when I need whipped cream. 

I don't believe that the squirty cream will hold the air like cool whip does.  It's o.k. for decorating but not sure how it would be if incorporated into a recipe.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 08:40:40 AM »
I don't believe that the squirty cream will hold the air like cool whip does.  It's o.k. for decorating but not sure how it would be if incorporated into a recipe.

True, if not making something with the whipped cream straight away, it does sink out. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Hubby & I
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »
The Dream Whip stuff mentioned before, if you add a few teaspoons of powdered sugar and a very slight drizzle of vanilla....comes out almost exactly like Cool Whip. I have used in in strawberry shortcake, amobrosia salad and fruit salad. Always comes out great, so long as you beat it well.
~Ange
9/04 Met on-line
11/07 Married
12/3/08 FLR(M) APPROVED
Here on Leave to Remain. Will apply for UKC and get UK passport once I can swallow how much more money the UK Govt wants from me. Or when my US passport expires.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »

Exactly. I usually just use squirty cream from a can too! but for recipes that call for cool whip, where it will sit for a while (like dirt or the strawberry pretzel salad stuff) dream whip is definitely as close as you can come.
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »
THANKS! I will look into the Dream Whip!

So, with the recent Thanksgiving food discussion, I began to miss this Weight Watcher's recipe that was Cool whip and canned pumpkin (plus the pumpkin pie spices)... it tastes just like the pie filling... but is only valued at a point a serving...

Then, I saw canned pumpkin in London, and decided that it would be possible to do...
Can't hardly wait...

And, I WILL be bringing cans of pumpkin back to the UK after the holidays... oh yes...

• daveavenue
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
I am going to look for this next time I am at Waitrose... Ah the simple things that get missed!

Another bummer: no French's French Fried Onions available for Green Bean Casseroles- I had to make my own. Grrr!
The economy fell apart. Then we moved to Brighton. Disappointing- yes. Any regrets? No. I am interested in meeting Sussex people and any other souls that have a shared mission of getting to know the rest of the world better. My Blog: daveavenue.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab