Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Employer Woes and Housekeeper Woes  (Read 3219 times)

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
Employer Woes and Housekeeper Woes
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »
*bangs head*

I really am starting to HATE Tim's employer. First, we have the whole taking away Grade 5 relief men and making him go into the panel, which is fine and all, but we lose a pretty hefty monthly bonus (which we CAN live without, it's just nice to have, ya know?)  And then, they pull this crap -

When Tim applied for his remaining leave to come here for the wedding, he was told it was granted and he had leave left for the year.  About a week after his request, everyone received a paper telling them how many days of leave they had remaining for 2009. Tim's said 0, so he called to ask and got told "oh, but that doesn't count leave that's already been scheduled". 

When Tim arrived home after the wedding/honeymoon, he had a letter from work.  informing him that he had taken 4 days leave that he was not entitled to and that they would be taking 4 days of pay from his next pay.

Cue the sh*t hitting the fan.

Tim's in a panic, because he's afraid UKBA would see the November payslip and compare it to the numbers Tim was providing for income and think he was lying about his salary, so he called up his manager to discuss things. His manager is absolutely livid because apparently the roster department was audited and it came out that rosters wasn't giving people their Lieu days* and was just taking days off their annual leave amount and they weren't keeping very good track of leave, either.  One employee owes the company £3000 for days off he was granted by rosters but didn't have available. 

Tim's manager found out that they did NOT have to take the money out of the next pay, it just needed to be paid back by February, so Tim made arrangements for them to take half out of January, and half out of February. He's still not happy with it, and neither is his manager, but that was the best they could do.  His manager also got a day taken off the amount owed because there is a policy where if you get married on a weekday (Even if you're on leave), you get to take a paid day off.

And then, the payslip arrives. And guess what?  It's got 4 days of pay missing from it.  He gets right on the phone and calls his manager and leaves him a message, and then he calls Payroll. Payroll is handled on the national level, but scheduling (rosters) is regional.  Payroll department says it isn't Tim's problem if rosters made a complete c*ck up with their schedule (yes, payroll used that exact phrase). They granted him the days off, so he should get them, however it's a matter that needs to be cleared up at the regional level.  So he waits for his manager to call back.

The end result is that Tim is getting the 4 days pay returned to him, and as far as we know, won't have to pay back 3 days in January or February.

The company will not re-issue a payslip reflecting the correct amount for November. Tim explained to them that we need the correct payslips to apply for my spousal visa, so they have offered to write a letter explaining the confusion for November and stating Tim's actual wage and what his November payslip should have said.

But what a PITA!  Of course, I've put the figures through the budget, and we were fine even with the 4 days missing, but Tim is way more panicky about this than I am.

Rant the 2nd -

I really, really can't STAND the woman who comes in to keep Tim's house tidy.  It's a friend if his mum's who needed some cash, and the position was offered to her to help Tim with tidying the place before my mom and I visited in September, and then it was agreed she'd stick around to help Tim get things organized before I move.

Tim turned the kitchen over to me when I was there last year as my domain, so I organized everything based on how I'd like it.  The housekeeper came in and arranged tings the way SHE likes a kitchen to be arranged, after being told NOT to move my stuff (she doesn't cook for Tim, only cleans).  When I was there in September, I spent an evening re-organizing the kitchen and again specified for her to NOT TOUCH IT. What do you tink she did?  Yep, my kitchen is upside down again. 

When I was there last year, Tim emptied off a bookshelf for me and I had it about half filled with books and some other things, including things like my alarm clock, a bottle of Tums, and a box of tissues (since the bookcase was next to the bed).  How dare I want easy access to medicine and tissues from bed?  She moved the Tums back down to the bathroom, got rid of the tissue box, and filled the rest of my shelf with books that belong to Tim and even moved some of my books. ...and LOST my hardback of Anne of Windy Willows we had picked up at a used bookstore.

Then, while Tim was here, she went and moved a pile of paperwork Tim needed for my visa application and now Tim can't find it.

I really can't wait until we can tell her we don't need her anymore! We were considering keeping her on to do some of the household tasks we both hate - like vacuuming and dusting, etc, but I really don't think I want her around if she's going to re-arrange everything.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. I'm in total PMS beyotch mode today.

*Lieu days are given if you work a bank holiday and are valid for 12 months.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

Re: Employer Woes and Housekeeper Woes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
Sounds like the people in payroll are complete idiots! I wouldn't stress it about the visa though. I think as long as there is a letter to explain it wont really mater.

As far as the house keeper goes I think Tim needs to speak with her again. Friend of the family or not if you can't do the job you are paid to do you shouldn't be doing it. All he has to say is I want you to clean ONLY please don't move my paper work and leave the kitchen the way you found. If she can't do that then I guess she doesn't need the extra cash that bad and Tim can show her the door!

P.S. I totally hear ya on the PMS mode!

• Painted Leather Jackets
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I agree. Don't stress too much about the paycheck thing. It is truly a PITA, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference...

The fact that the housekeeper is moving important documents that you need would freak me out even more! But I'm sure they'll be found and all will go according to plan.

The stress of getting the visa sorta is the worst kind of stress, but once it's over the relief is just amazing.

Try to keep positive! :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:40:30 PM »
Becca, all I can say on your behalf is ARRRRGHHHHHHH! So frustrating! It will get settled soon, though! Have faith! :)
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:23:42 AM »
Thanks ladies.  

We're both just so stressed right now it's a little on the crazy side.  I'm not too worried about the payslip or about my visa, because I know Tim makes enough to support me and as long as have all the papers together, we'll be fine.....assuming we can find the damn papers.

Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »
could it get any worse? Yes, yes it can.

Tim found out when his leave is scheduled for 2010.  Yes, his company doesn't let you pick when you want off, they just assign it.

His fall leave?  November 22-27. Which LOOKS great on paper, as its' the week of Thanksgiving and I wanted to be in the US so it should mean he gets to come with me, right? Wrong.

His leave starts on a week when he's coming off night shift.  If he DOESN'T work the 12 hour Sunday, we lose money (you get time and a half for working in a Sunday). If he DOES work it, it means mucking up his entire week off, and not being able to fly anywhere until Monday.

His leave ends on Saturday, but he'll have Sunday off too. However, thanks to the time difference, he'll have to fly home on Saturday so he arrives Sunday morning and has Sunday to recover from the trip. 

Problem here? My family celebrates Thanksgiving the Sunday after.  So Tim would miss it anyway.

So now we have this huge dilemma, because if Tim has off, I want to be able to do something with him, but it looks like coming to the US over it is pointless....and if I miss Thanksgiving, I'll have the entire family mad at me because I just promised them all on Sunday I would see them next Thanksgiving.

ARGH.

We've already moved our canal boating trip to next year because his summer fortnight is in September.  But I have a nice consolation prize. We're going to go to Germany instead ;)

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
could it get any worse? Yes, yes it can.

Tim found out when his leave is scheduled for 2010.  Yes, his company doesn't let you pick when you want off, they just assign it.

His fall leave?  November 22-27. Which LOOKS great on paper, as its' the week of Thanksgiving and I wanted to be in the US so it should mean he gets to come with me, right? Wrong.

His leave starts on a week when he's coming off night shift.  If he DOESN'T work the 12 hour Sunday, we lose money (you get time and a half for working in a Sunday). If he DOES work it, it means mucking up his entire week off, and not being able to fly anywhere until Monday.

His leave ends on Saturday, but he'll have Sunday off too. However, thanks to the time difference, he'll have to fly home on Saturday so he arrives Sunday morning and has Sunday to recover from the trip. 

Problem here? My family celebrates Thanksgiving the Sunday after.  So Tim would miss it anyway.

So now we have this huge dilemma, because if Tim has off, I want to be able to do something with him, but it looks like coming to the US over it is pointless....and if I miss Thanksgiving, I'll have the entire family mad at me because I just promised them all on Sunday I would see them next Thanksgiving.

ARGH.

We've already moved our canal boating trip to next year because his summer fortnight is in September.  But I have a nice consolation prize. We're going to go to Germany instead ;)

Is your budget so tight you can't lose the time/money? That would really suck if so :(

Could you not put a little aside every month to cover that month's lost money? Seems like you have a long time to save to be able to cover the loss of one day's wage and it sounds like being home for thanksgiving is really important to you (you've said how close you are to your family loads of times :) )

It's annoying, but really on the grand scheme of things not too bad, especially as you have so much time to prepare for it and it could be much worse, he's not being made redundant, or not getting any time off, or his time off isn't in thanksgiving week at all but some other random week, you're pretty much there, just losing some money, which if you know is happening you can lessen the impact of :)

Also, if he comes to the US, will it still be pointless? yes he might miss the thanksgiving meal, but you can do lots of other things together and introduce him to any family separately, and maybe go out for a nice meal prior to thanksgiving :)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:26:36 PM »
Or the family could celebrate Thanksgiving on another day while he IS here. Just a thought...
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
Or the family could celebrate Thanksgiving on another day while he IS here. Just a thought...

I agree. When you move so far away, sometimes the family at 'home' has to adapt to your schedule a bit. If they won't budge, it's time to make your own traditions.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:41:19 PM »
I agree. When you move so far away, sometimes the family at 'home' has to adapt to your schedule a bit. If they won't budge, it's time to make your own traditions.

My cousin lives in Japan and only makes it home every 2-3 years, usually in the summer or early Fall. So we always have a Thanksgiving dinner when he's here - even if it's 100F in the peak of summer!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:36:01 PM »

Unfortunately, that's not an option.  Our Thanksgiving is on Sunday to allow all the married "kids" (as my aunt calls them) to have Thursday with their in-laws. Plus, the family from out of state can't arrive any earlier than Saturday night. It's complicated and confusing, but it works for my family. My family will NOT do a weeknight dinner. I had a hard enough time getting them to come to our Friday night wedding reception, let alone throw Thanksgiving dinner on a Friday night, which is where it would have to move to, since Tim would need to go to the airport on Saturday.

Is your budget so tight you can't lose the time/money? That would really suck if so
Gosh, no. We're fine without the extra. I mean, we were fine even with the missing 4 days. Tim just hates the idea of NOT taking advantage of the opportunity.  I'm sure if we were going to be in the US, he wouldn't take the Sunday, unless his boss told him he had to.

My cousin lives in Japan and only makes it home every 2-3 years, usually in the summer or early Fall. So we always have a Thanksgiving dinner when he's here - even if it's 100F in the peak of summer!

If a trip to the US was in say, March or May or something like that, then yes, my family would hold some type of big family dinner/picnic/what have you on the Saturday or Sunday of our visit.  But since there wouldn't be a weekend day available AND it's so close to thanksgiving...I know who i'd get to show up. And to be polite, they're not the family I'd want to see.

I don't think we can get an additional week out of his work, but it's possible we might be able to squeeze a few extra days so it will all work out. I hope.  All we really need is two extra days.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 10:14:58 PM »
It's a year in the future!
Anything could happen between now and then!

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »
Not really. Tim's employer distributes when your leave is for the entire year, and you can't tell them you don't want the dates you were given. It just isn't an option.  Tim WILL have off 22-27 Nov, and unless we figure out a way to add some extra days, I will be missing Thanksgiving in the US.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 10:41:41 PM »
I'm totally stunned that they can even do that!

I'm guessing he's checked to see that's even legal?

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »
Jeez, it looks like it IS legal  :o

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034711

Your employer can decide when some or all of your holidays must be taken.

I never knew that!

Sponsored Links