Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COFFEE  (Read 6141 times)

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
  • Liked: 0
COFFEE
« on: August 02, 2004, 11:51:47 AM »
Can I just say, after years of swilling that awful Nescafe or worse the Lidl brand my husband buys because it's so cheap, we finally got a (hopefully) indestructible coffeemaker and I can now enjoy the aroma of fresh brewed coffee, along with of course the most beautiful cups of coffee I've drank in a long, long time. My house smells so good right now. Can I sing its praises? It has an automatic shut off so I can't short it out by letting it sit on the warmer for hours (like I did the first one we had years ago). It has a digital clock that allows me to program it to make us coffee first thing in the morning and wake up to that lovely lovely smell. I drink lots of cups of coffee without having to boil the kettle. I can finally use all those wonderful ground coffees my family has been sending me (my sister-in-law used to work at Starbucks). And best of all - IT'S NOT INSTANT!!!!

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Re: COFFEE
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:57:59 AM »
Have you ever tried a french press/cafetiere? They make marvelous coffee and there isno waste. Coffee is no good if it's been sitting on the warmer longer than 15 minutes, anyway. Try the beans at Whittard's of Chelsea, we love the Guatamala Elephant beans and the Kenya Peaberry beans in particular.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 12:04:15 PM »
We use a French Press as well. We wanted a coffeemaker with all the bells and whistles, like a timer & a heating tray etc etc - - - but they were too expensive over here. We love our French Press, but are still looking forward to having a Coffee-Maker-Mega-2005 when we get back to the States, it is on the list things we need to buy straight away. ;)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 12:08:57 PM »
We were using a french press, too, only I never really liked it because inevitably there were always grounds in the coffee, and it just didn't taste like the coffee I love.

I should mention, I'm no coffee purist or conisseuer. In fact I may be considered a coffee heathen for it is the sort of coffee you would get at Denny's or your local diner that I hanker after. 15 mins in the pot? Oh, heaven. Granted, the last bit that's been sitting for hours is no good. But I don't mind coffee that's been around for a bit - it's a luxury to me at this point. I'm sure as I get used to the machine and how to gauge how much water and grounds to put in to get enough for a couple cups (so it's not sitting very long) versus how I'm making it now in my new-toy glee, it will get better and I'll be more of a conisseuer. But for now, I am a big fan of the charred taste ;)

Is Whittard's a local beanery or do they sell it across the UK? Would I be able to find it in Belfast?

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 12:12:04 PM »
  Few things beat the wonderful smell of coffee brewing,pure heaven ;D

Rhia(who is a coffee addict ;) )

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 12:27:42 PM »
I detest instant coffee.  Yuck, yuck and double yuck.

The first appliance I bought in the UK was a coffee maker.  I've always used the type that makes the coffee in a thermal carafe, therefore it doesn't taste like it's been on the burner too long.

Yes, it wasn't cheap at £60, but considering that's equivalent to about a month's worth of Starbucks, I'd say I got the better end of the bargain.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 12:36:11 PM »
I think ours is a thermal pot, it's stainless steel and the coffee seems to be extremely hot no matter if it's right after brewing or a wee bit later. I wouldn't normally be into paying a lot for a coffeemaker myself. We did have one when I first moved here (had to have my coffee) that was around £20 and that's the one I shorted out, at least I think that's what happened to it, it stopped working one day. Anyway we were going through the catalogue and my husband was in a spending mood and this was the only coffeemaker in the catalogue so we went ahead and got it. We'll be paying £2 a week for the next 7 years (or so!! lol) for it!

We also got a slow cooker in the same order which I'm excited about (mmmm roasts and bbq beans and all sorts of yummy stuff) and we finally replaced his old fryer which was extremely mangy to put it mildly.

Truth be told I was very surprised my husband was into ordering things but who am I to say no?  8)

Just so happy to not be drinking instant. I went and poured a new cup of coffee just now and it's wonderful........................................ .......

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 01:32:53 PM »
Whittard is on the high street or in the bigger shopping malls of most large cities in the UK. Check out their website at www.whittard.co.uk.

• Dharma in the Dishes
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 01:41:01 PM »
Oh another good site is www.hasbean.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 02:07:39 PM »
Cheers, I'll be on the lookout :)

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 04:15:15 PM »
I must say, coffee is a subject very close to my heart.  My personal preference is to use a perculator...like the old days.  You really do get the smoothest flavor that way, however it takes 1/2 hour for a pot of joe.

Most days, we use a French Press (err...I mean, a cafetiere).  It's fairly quick and easy, and the DF does all the dishes  ;D so the mess doesn't bother me.  In the evening, the DF likes to have a cup of instant.  I think it is really bizare that instant coffee is so acceptable in the UK.  In the states you would be labeld as an awful host(ess) if you even concidered serving such an inferior beverage to your guests and here, it is accepted practice.  Bee-Czar.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 04:53:25 PM »
In the states you would be labeld as an awful host(ess) if you even concidered serving such an inferior beverage to your guests

Brewed coffee was certainly the accepted practice in our neck of the woods too  This reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my Brit friends.  I offered her a cup of coffee.  She gladly accepted, but was taken back when I told her it would just be a minute until the pot brewed. 

"Oh, instant coffee would have been fine," she told me.  I asked her, "If I came to your house and a had a cup of tea, would you serve me instant tea?"  "Absolutely not," she said, "that would be rude."

"Well, that's how some of Americans feel about instant coffee."  ;)
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 05:14:24 PM »
When I used to go to toddler groups, they'd make coffee by putting about 15 spoonfuls of instant coffee in a pot and then pouring in boiling water.  ACK!  ACK!

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 10:26:11 PM »
When I used to go to toddler groups, they'd make coffee by putting about 15 spoonfuls of instant coffee in a pot and then pouring in boiling water.  ACK!  ACK!

Blachchhhhh!!!!!  I would have laughed!!!!

• Twitter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 12:55:40 AM »
Hey Stella. I don't know if you saw it yet, but Starbucks is coming to Belfast. It's going to be in the city centre. It's near the bandstand. The signs are up and the windows say coming soon. I don't care how expensive or corporate they are. I LOVE THEIR COFFEE!! Instant will never stand up to it.

Sponsored Links