Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COFFEE  (Read 6142 times)

Re: COFFEE
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 06:53:05 AM »
Can I just say, after years of swilling that awful Nescafe or worse the Lidl brand my husband buys because it's so cheap, we finally got a (hopefully) indestructible coffeemaker

Years?!  Why did you wait so long if you hated the stuff?!  :o  ;)

• Madly and passionately in love with my Englishman
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 08:43:46 AM »
Can't you use a coffee maker from the states??? Guess I have a lot to learn - ick - the thought of instant coffee - but maybe I could deal with a flavor of the International Coffee - Hazlenut or French Vanilla - can you buy those there?? Talked with my DB last night and he said he was drinking instant coffee - and the thought made my glands water - like right before you hurl!!!LOL

Still digging Mr. Coffee,
Peace from the U.S.,
Amy

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 09:14:52 AM »
Can't you use a coffee maker from the states???

Not without a transformer.  Coffee makers are readily available in the UK.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 09:26:51 AM »
We have various coffee makers in my house- a cafetiere, a combination drip/espresso coffeemaker and yes.......instant- but if I can redeem myself here, its Boater's instant and its flavoured! My local Tescos now carries Hazelnut, French Vanilla and Irish Creme. What's nice about these is that they are sugar/fat free!!! You can even see the tiny slivers of real vanilla bean in 'em. Not a bad substitute.......for instant ;)

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 09:56:14 AM »
Hey Stella. I don't know if you saw it yet, but Starbucks is coming to Belfast. It's going to be in the city centre. It's near the bandstand. The signs are up and the windows say coming soon. I don't care how expensive or corporate they are. I LOVE THEIR COFFEE!! Instant will never stand up to it.

I saw it and I CANNOT WAIT. Okay, I can wait, but yeah, I am looking forward to it. And it's right across from Lush, which I have become a big fan of. Any idea when it's set to open? I am so glad I don't have to trek to Antrim for Starbucks now.

Quote from: Broxi
Years?!  Why did you wait so long if you hated the stuff?!

Well, basically it came down to money. We kept meaning to earmark a coffeemaker and just time went on. It happens.  We had the french press and that sort of worked.  I mean, it did work! But in place of a coffeemaker. And my husband grew up on instant so he wasn't really focused. ;)

But finally we sat down and the catalogue had this one and I am a happy camper with fresh coffee as I type. 

Quote from: yankeegirl
Can't you use a coffee maker from the states??? Guess I have a lot to learn - ick - the thought of instant coffee - but maybe I could deal with a flavor of the International Coffee - Hazlenut or French Vanilla - can you buy those there??

You could use a coffeemaker from the states with a transformer but I wouldn't recommend it. Plan on getting one of the £20 ones until you settle in and decide if you want to go real hardcore. But be warned, the £20 ones will short out. So I learned. Oh yes and bring over lots of the flavored coffee creamer, those are yummy and they have not made it across the water yet. I wouldn't worry about the flavored instant coffee itself if you have the flavored powdered creams.

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 10:44:03 AM »
Once you've moved to a French press, then make the jump to a 3-bar expresso machine. A basic Krups can be had for about 24 pounds from Currys or amazon.co.uk. You'll never look back. And if an espresso machine seems more expensive, it's actually cheaper in the long run because it uses less coffee than a press. If an espresso is too strong for you, you can also make it an "americano" by adding hot water. The thing that I miss is being able to buy beans in a regular supermarket that has a grinder there for you to operate. Java up!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 11:20:16 AM by lightbulb »

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 10:51:47 AM »
The thing that I miss is being able to be beans in a regular supermarket that has a grinder there for you to operate. Java up!

But surely if you go the extra mile to buy coffee in bean form, it's worth it to grind them at home -- as and when need, no?

I'll admit that in-store grinders did make the supermarket smell lovely.

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2004, 11:05:49 AM »
You're right about grinding if you're using a drip or a French press, but a bar espresso machine, even a 3-bar one, needs a much finer grind, and those machines would be really, really expensive to buy for a personal use (we're not talking about the little ones).

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 02:27:55 PM »
I hadn't thought of using a mill like that! My only worry would be, since that I drink 1-2 cups a day, that by asking a household mill to operate so constantly at its highest level, it would wear out the dynamo . But, in the worst case, it's only 9 pounds maybe every one or two years. So, you're right, that's a solution.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 02:30:02 PM by lightbulb »

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2004, 02:32:01 PM »
then I'm on my way now!

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2004, 02:58:43 PM »
I have one of those little grinders.  I make one pot per day and the grinder has lasted about three years.  I also use it for my expresso machine.

• Twitter
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2004, 12:55:13 AM »
I saw it and I CANNOT WAIT. Okay, I can wait, but yeah, I am looking forward to it. And it's right across from Lush, which I have become a big fan of. Any idea when it's set to open? I am so glad I don't have to trek to Antrim for Starbucks now.

Don't have a date on it yet. If you hear anything, let me and the rest of us know :)

Antrim!! Where? When? I'd trek there. I need to know.............AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  ;D

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2004, 10:50:57 AM »
It's at Junction One - let us know what you think if you go!!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2004, 07:30:38 PM »
COFFEE?!!!

Did someone say COFFEE??!!!!! [smiley=smitten.gif]

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2004, 08:24:02 AM »
I was never really a coffe drinker till I started to work for the Airlines. When I lived in the USA I bought a great coffee maker like the first poster was talking about. The kind with the timer, etc. When I moved here I noticed none of my in-laws had coffee makers. I have never seen a home in the USA without one. When I was offered a cup coffee it was always instant. So weird! I bought a cheap coffee maker two years ago but cant find a decent tasting coffee so Im back to instant (Kenco) but I would love to find a GOOD blend to brew. I love the smell of a coffee maker brewing away. I always used to buy French roast in the USA but it doesnt taste the same here.
Pebs  [smiley=angel.gif]

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab