Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COFFEE  (Read 6140 times)

Re: COFFEE
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2004, 05:04:59 PM »
Pathetic or not, I still import my coffee from my home-town coffee company (http://www.brewbar.com/) Everyone teases me for it until they spend a week drinking it - then they can't go back!  ;) My df even drank instant before we met, but now he's as addicted as I am!!!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2004, 05:06:04 PM »
COFFEE?!!!

Did someone say COFFEE??!!!!! [smiley=smitten.gif]

Wondered where you'd been during this "discussion."   ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2004, 12:16:26 PM »
Anne, thanks for the link. Which coffees do you recommend from the site? I tend to prefer a mild to medium roast coffee like Kenya Peaberry or Jamaica Blue Mountain, but I do enjoy the occasional full-bodies types especially Margogype (Elephant). What do you think I'd enjoy?

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2004, 12:30:23 PM »
Well, I like 'em big and bold! LOL. The one I drink is Blues Breaker which was a bit tough for my df to get used to but now he loves it. But my best friend who likes hers a bit smoother really likes Bean of the Earth, so that's probably the best recomendation!  ;D

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2004, 02:02:07 PM »
Pathetic or not, I still import my coffee from my home-town coffee company (http://www.brewbar.com/) Everyone teases me for it until they spend a week drinking it - then they can't go back!  ;) My df even drank instant before we met, but now he's as addicted as I am!!!

Certainly not pathetic at all...I do the same...and bring plenty back with me when I've been home (http://www.pioneercoffeeco.com/).  Yummy! 

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2004, 04:15:36 PM »
Ahhhh....a subject - and a beverage - I know well.

When I get stressed, I drink. Not alcohol though. When I feel overwhelmed and distressed, the beverage I most crave is:

COFFEE!

Now, I used to be pretty much a traditionalist when it comes to coffee. That's before I went to work in a bookstore where we had the obligatory cafe' with all the speciality stuff. From the time I started drinking it (at the age of 1 and 1/2...so, see, it does not stunt ones growth...considering I am a full 5'8 in height and I have drank coffee all of my life) I have been drinking it sweet (whether with sugar or some other sweetener - now I use SPLENDA and highly recommend it) and cream or half and half. The reason my mother started me on coffee at such a young age was not because she had a desire to see her sickly daughter hyper, but because of the sickliness itself. See, I was born with a plethora of health issues and the coffee was something the doctors suggested because it was cheaper than buying the medication that has the same properties that the coffee has....and so, my affair with coffee is something I have always had. Indeed, I don't ever remember a time not liking coffee. And, obviously, it still "medicates" me to a certain degree.

I went to work at the bookstore and, as we were all taught to do, we learned the workings of the cafe'. There were cappuchinos, latte's, breve's, americanos, espresso....there was very rarely "just plain coffee". So, my adventure with the sacred bean began anew. I found cappuchinos too bitter but I liked the idea of espresso containing drinks because they were stronger, more concentrated caffiene....ahh, a good thing. So, I went on discovering. I tried the latte's. Too milky, not rich enough for my taste....but, I liked the fact that there was more drink to it and less foam. Finally, someone told me about the breve's. And, that was it......from the first mocha breve' I had there, it was my drink of choice thereafter. A breve' is a latte' that is made with half and half instead of milk. No foam, just a creamy, rich, decadent, caffiene rich, powerhouse of a beverage.

Obviously, for coffee drinks like these, it takes an espresso machine to make them.  And, no matter what continent you are on, they are very expensive! 

I've re-learned to like instant coffee since coming to England.  And, I've learned to tolerate milk instead of cream.  I'm not really picky about it.  Truth be told, I am going to put up with anything and everything just to be with my Jamie.  When in the States, I introduced him to all sorts of coffee drinks and he really liked them.  He warned me that, when I got here, I was going to find that the coffee here was - and this was his exact word of choice - "crap".  But, like I said, I can deal with it.  It still has caffiene in it. ;D
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2004, 04:54:01 PM »
Autumn- your breve' sounds alot like the cortados we drank while in Tenerife. Cream in a shot of espresso.........wonderful :)

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2004, 05:32:23 PM »
it isn't just the brewed coffe i was missing it was also my coffe creamer(french vanilla)I miss to and in liquid form I was just in the states a month ago and it was such a treat to get some and I brought back 10 jars with me

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2004, 05:45:17 PM »
I miss US half and half.  The half and half I've used here doesn't seem to mix as well as the stuff back home.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2004, 10:21:29 PM »
The powdered Coffee Mate isnt bad here but nothing beats the little cartons of half and half.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2004, 10:52:49 PM »
That's what I use -- Coffee Mate.  Never could talk milk in my coffee.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Forever Autumn
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2004, 09:47:37 AM »
I do miss half and half.  The only half and half I have found here is at McDonalds!  And, the coffee there really is icky.  I have used evaportated milk every once in a while and that acted more like regular US half and half than anything else.  Made it creamier and you don't have to use as much of it as regular milk.
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2004, 10:28:25 AM »
OH my gosh, a breve is heaven!!! It's like....a hot milkshake. LOL

Songmistress, I have tried to make the switch to Splenda, but it just tastes weird to me. How can I make the switch without suffering?

• Life is like a tire swing.
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2004, 10:33:49 AM »
I wind up using the powder creamer and then adding milk to my coffee. It's not great, but it is better than just milk.
MOMMA ALWAYS SAID:  "There an awful lot you can tell 'bout a person by their shoes" --- "Where they goin' , Where they been"
"I've worn lots of shoes"   Forrest Gump

"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both."     Forrest Gump

• Forever Autumn
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2004, 10:44:52 AM »
OH my gosh, a breve is heaven!!! It's like....a hot milkshake. LOL

Songmistress, I have tried to make the switch to Splenda, but it just tastes weird to me. How can I make the switch without suffering?

That's a very accurate description of a breve, Carla.  :)

Well, I made the switch pretty easily because I had been using Equal (nutrasweet, aspartame), and the Splenda tasted so much better than that stuff.  And, I knew it was better for me since it's actually made from sugar, unlike the Equal.  I would suggest though, to make the switch less noticible for you, try cutting out everything with real sugar in it for a couple of weeks and only use Splenda on and in everything (coffee, cereal, etc.), and see if that helps.  I can use it now and not notice much of a difference at all. I can sit and eat a Mars Bar or a chocolate chip cookie and drink a cup of coffee with Splenda in it and I don't get any aftertaste or even really notice a taste difference between what has sugar in it and what has Splenda.  It just all tastes sweet to me.

Hope that helps. :)

Sponsored Links