Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wish I could turn my brain off sometimes (OCD Planners Anon, anyone?)  (Read 706 times)

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
So lately I've been stressing out a bunch over this move to England thing. After visiting over Thanksgiving, I'm really excited about it, and looking forward to living there. However...

- I'm finishing up with my job here in the states effective Dec 31, and have no hint of employment after that
- I still need to sell some belongings that are pretty high value, and I'm counting on having those sold to fund the move itself, plus rent/food/etc until I find a job, so until I sell those, I'm kind of screwed...
- I've got a house that I won't sell (market sucks), but still need to find a renter. Even with a renter, that won't cover all the costs associated with the house (property taxes/insurance/etc), but it's far better than having to pay the mortgage myself from England.
- I would love to really dig in with preparing to move as far as finding a flat, finding a job, etc, but realistically/logistically, these things are impossible to do until I'm physically over there. (I've been sending out my CV, but have gotten limited interest due to being overseas.)

Of course, the kicker with all of these things is that I can't really control them. I'm working on selling things (and adjusting prices accordingly so that they will sell), but I have no control over when they'll sell. I'm working on cleaning up my house so that it'll get rented, but have no control over when/who will rent it. I'm sending out my CV to job listings, but have no control over who will be interested (or how interested they might be).

And all of this is stressing me out big time. :(

I like having a plan...I work really well with definite plans. If I know (with reasonable certainty) that it will be, say, 4 months before everything's settled and I can make the big move, I can deal with that (or if it's 2 months, or 8, etc). It wouldn't be ideal, but at least then I can adjust my behavior according to that plan. It's the "well, I could land a job and need to start work the first Monday in January" or "I could have a bunch of unexpected things come up and not move until August" thing that drives me bonkers. (Or the extra-scary scenario...land a job but have no savings due to unsold belongings, so have to scrounge for money to move and then figure out a way to live until I get that first paycheck.)

Anyone else an OCD planner type, and how do you handle times when you end up stressing over stuff that's (largely) out of your control? Logically, I can tell myself that it will work out somehow, it's not the end of the world if I move in May instead of March, I won't end up starving on a street corner somewhere, etc, but emotionally that doesn't keep me from stressing.

(Wow, apologies for the novel...)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 0
Re: Wish I could turn my brain off sometimes (OCD Planners Anon, anyone?)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
I know exactly how you feel.  I was scared and nervous about moving out here too with all the unknown.  I was worried about finding a job and a place to live even though I was moving in with my (then) fiance (now DH).  He was having trouble finding a place before I got here and I wasn't getting replies from any jobs, even though I assumed as a teacher that I would find work right away.  Things worked out once I got here though.  We only had a couple weeks before we had to find a place because his lease was up, but we found one.  Shortly after we moved I found a good job too, so everything worked out in the end.  My advice would be to try not to worry so much.  As long as you know you won't wind up homeless, try not to stress.  Believe me, I know that's easier said than done!

• Englishmann
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »
  how do you handle times when you end up stressing over stuff that's (largely) out of your control?

OK - So, I know that this will sounds antithetical to your situation - but I would suggest checking out some guided meditation cds.  I'm completely a planner and we've been in transition mode since June of this year (you can see other posts regarding our move back) -- and I've discovered meditation this year.  It REALLY helps me.  I usually use exercise to achieve that but was finding that even exercise wasn't able to turn off my brain enough to allow me to relax.  Guided meditation has really worked more than anything else - I haven't been as successful trying to meditate silently on my own - but with someone leading me through it I can go for 10-15minutes and the effect lasts even longer.

I know what you mean about selling stuff - I'm doing the same thing and it's a little tortuous.  My backup has always been the salvation army truck - because there are certain things that I just won't lower the price on below a certain point.  At least I can get the tax break.

In any case, good luck - and remember that this time won't last forever -soon you'll be back in the UK!
11/99 - Moved to UK on Work Visa
07/00 - Married UKC
02/01 - Moved to Texas
04/10 - Received Spouse Visa - ILE
06/10 - Moved to England

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:02:54 PM »
I am the most obsessed planner ever and like you, I cannot turn off my brain when there is an unresolved issue that requires further planning.

I wont sugar coat it - the moving process was almost unbearable for a big time planner, but honestly there really does become a point where you give in a bit and realize there is nothing more you can do and just let the cards fall where they may. 
My advice is make all the lists you think you need to make to feel comfortable or in control of the situation, and (eventhough this may sound like the worst think you can do) think of your worst case senario. Think about if A, B, C & D went wrong, whats the worst that could happen.. and then move backwards from that.  If there are things you are confident will go right, you can remove them from the worst case senario equation and see how that improves it. 
I also always try to have a perfect plan and a not-so-perfect back up and make myself really comfortable with both of them should you have to resort to the back up plan. 

• British by descent
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 05:24:51 PM »
Thanks, Carey, I have been (semi-obsessively) trying to figure out my "flow chart" of scenarios. And, on the plus side, the worst case scenario isn't completely horrible, by any stretch.

I just hate how my brain keeps going over them again and again when nothing's changed (in the last 5 minutes/days/etc, anyway ;)).

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »
I have no advice, I just wanted to say that I totally feel your pain.  I'm moving in a month and I feel like nothing is done and I have no idea how it will get done. Still selling stuff, giving things away, etc plus working. I feel like I'm going to go crazy. :o

• Liked: 12
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:37 PM »
Ack, I'm feeling stressed just reading your post, equest.  :P
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• British by descent
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »
Ack, I'm feeling stressed just reading your post, equest.  :P

Thanks, that makes me feel much better. ;)

Sponsored Links